Mugging in Panmure Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ryanapp

Mugging in Panmure Road

Post by ryanapp »

Hi,

My friend has just been mugged. She was walking up from Sydenham station via Kirkdale and noticed three black 15-25 year olds with hoodies following her. She turned into Panmure Road (where I live) and they followed. Halfway between Kirkdale and Gainsborough Mews she decided to call my girlfriend to let her know she was close (hoping this would put them off). Instead, they grabbed her phone (my girlfriend hearing her scream) and snatched her handbag. They punched her in the face as she resisted. (She knows she shouldn't have done - heat of the moment etc.)

A car drove past whilst she was being hit and ignored what was happening.

She was screaming yet no-one came out of their homes.

It was 21:53.

Her handbag contained many personal effects, including some valueless trinkets left to her by her grandmother (who sadly passed away on Friday).

Her handbag was quite large, tan colour, with gold loops where the handles attach to the bag. If anyone sees this abandoned anywhere in the neighbourhood, please let me know.

Thanks
Eagle

Re: Mugging in Panmure Road

Post by Eagle »

Very sad and please pass on my best wishes. You used to be far safer on our streets.

Why should a person not struggle to hold onto what belongs to them and not the scum. I do hope they are caught and locked away for many years but I doubt it.

The person who drove by should be ashamed . At the least they should have blasted their car horn .
Rick Channing

Post by Rick Channing »

ryanapp wrote:She was walking up from Sydenham station via Kirkdale and noticed three black 15-25 year olds with hoodies following her.
Hey, careful now. You don't wanna be accused of racism. You're best off calling them "youths".

I'm sorry to hear about your friend being robbed of her valuables, but she should consider preparing herself for the inevitable repeat. I know you can't carry a .22 pocket pistol in this country (which sucks), but you can get some pretty potent mace spray from abroad online.

Stay safe. Stay prepared.
Rick Channing

Post by Rick Channing »

Here's a picture of what my concealed carry permit allows me to carry in public back in the US. It's .45 Glock, and it gives me all the peace of mind I need.

maestro

Post by maestro »

Quite right, everybody on the streets being armed with one of these would certainly solve all our problems, and the USA is the proof. :lol:
Annie

Post by Annie »

Rick Channing wrote:Here's a picture of what my concealed carry permit allows me to carry in public back in the US. It's .45 Glock, and it gives me all the peace of mind I need.

What happens if they manage to turn the Gun on you?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree that ideally we do not want them on the streets if possible but seems the criminal fraternity already carry guns and knives, so the general public is at a further disadvantage.
mkoala

Post by mkoala »

The criminal fraternity may well carry guns and knives - however I don't believe the majority of gun or knife crime is carried out on passers by (although I apologise if I'm wrong)

From the news reports I've read and seen it seems the individuals most at risk of being stabbed or shot and the victims of street robbery are young men.
aidy_b

Post by aidy_b »

You may want to bear in mind that carrying mace/CS/pepper spray may make you feel safer, but will also risk you getting arrested - it is technically classed as a firearm
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I live a few streets down and I often walk home from the station on my own, so I researched this yesterday.

It is illegal to carry pepper spray/ mace - but this http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/Prod ... f/page.htm is legal. And appears to work in a similar way. And to be honest, the scrotes won't know that it's not the real thing!

Juliet
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

JulietP wrote:I live a few streets down and I often walk home from the station on my own, so I researched this yesterday.

It is illegal to carry pepper spray/ mace - but this http://www.c-p-p.co.uk/product/asp/Prod ... f/page.htm is legal. And appears to work in a similar way. And to be honest, the scrotes won't know that it's not the real thing!

Juliet
Hmm... tempted to buy one to squirt at the next ignoramus I see with their grubby shoes planted on the bus/train seat :twisted:
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Voyageur wrote:
JulietP wrote:I live a few streets down and I often walk home from the station on my own, so I researched this yesterday.

Juliet
Hmm... tempted to buy one to squirt at the next ignoramus I see with their grubby shoes planted on the bus/train seat :twisted:
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you would be charged with assault if you used it in a situation that wasn't self-defence!
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Rick Channing wrote:You're best off calling them "youths".
Ageist.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

JulietP wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you would be charged with assault if you used it in a situation that wasn't self-defence!
Almost worth it!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

SE26bloke wrote:
Rick Channing wrote:You're best off calling them "youths".
Ageist.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I hope your friend is OK Ryan and gets her handbag back. It's a shame your first post is about something as sad and troubling as this. I hope it all works out and the people who carried out the mugging are brought to justice.
michael

Post by michael »

Annie wrote:
Rick Channing wrote:Here's a picture of what my concealed carry permit allows me to carry in public back in the US. It's .45 Glock, and it gives me all the peace of mind I need.
What happens if they manage to turn the Gun on you?
Simple - you're dead and we have another illegal gun on the streets to give a criminal all the peace of mind he needs when carrying out his next attack on a defenceless woman.

Personally I never feel particularly safe disagreeing with somebody who has a gun in his/her house. You never know when Rick may decide he has had enough of my liberal views and decide it is time to waste the douchebag. Maybe if I was anonymous on the forum I would be less of a coward.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Lol. No wonder Rick moved to these shores if crime is so high in the US and everyone so frightened of being attacked you have to carry a gun around with you.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Terrible stuff Ryanapp. It makes me very angry that such a thing can happen and no one responds. I hope they find the people that did this and you're friend isn't to scared to walk around Sydenham anymore.

Sorry to distract from the matter in hand but Rick...I met a chap from California a while ago who carried a Glock with him at all times at home. He was trying to argue that people should carry guns. Me and my friends thought he was crazy, he said we should be allowed to protect ourselves. He then proceeded to tell us about an altercation he had with someone while driving. He was shot three times. If neither had been allowed to carry a gun he might have got a black eye, or a thick lip, if the 'perp' had been able to run quick enough. But no, he got shot.

G-Man
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Really sad to read this. Hopefully they will find who did this or recover some of her possessions.

I am a young woman and was attacked by a teenager a few years ago in Silverdale at 7pm as I walked to the train station. I felt uneasy as I walked past a group of 3 youths but after noticing 2 of them were girls felt more relaxed. As I continued past them, I heard running footsteps behind me and then a massive force on my back which made me fall to the ground. Luckily for me a local resident yelled at them to get off me and they ran away. No idea if it was to mug me or it some silly attempt at happy slapping/bravado in front of the girls??

Felt so grateful to the elderly gentleman who bravely yelled at them, scared them off and then came to see if I was ok. It knocked my confidence for a while.

Sadly many people reach for their phone when they feel threatened and this can make them more of a target.