STOLEN MAIL

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
dantheman

STOLEN MAIL

Post by dantheman »

hi, anybody had their mail stolen? in the last couple of months ive had a cheque book stolen and statements and also a cheque which has been cashed! seems speaking to others in the area im not alone and the problem seems to be at forest hill sorting office, be interested to hear from anyone else. dan
mosy

Re: STOLEN MAIL

Post by mosy »

Hi. A strange post as most things sent from banks via post aren't really a worry if they go astray since additional confirmation is required beyond anything shown on a printed item. You say
and also a cheque which has been cashed!
Beats me how a crook could cash a cheque for cash without further identification and/or pin number with supporting card, or you mean they paid their elec bill with it? The bank would of course know where the money went.

If you figure out how a crook cashed one of your cheques for cash, I'm definitely all ears as it's a loophole the banks need to close.

Post does go astray or is wrongly delivered - as we all know, but in fairness not that often. Are you just unlucky, or do others have access to your post once delivered?

Any missing items or correspondence to you from a bank should be taken up directly with the bank concerned IMO. I don't see the reason why anyone would bother stealing them but perhaps I'm missing something...

If mail is being misdelivered or lost, then you and "others in the area" should tell Forest Hill sorting office I reckon. They have a form that one can complain on.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

The problem seems to be continually with Froest Hill sorting office.
Last year, unknown to us, my wifes mail was redirected by another party, to pick up at FH sorting office. In the meantime loads of crdit card application were submitted in her name. One of these were successful, the card was collected, and many thousands were drawn on the credit card.
The many unsuccessful attemps resulted in letters of refusal being sent. One of which slipped through the net and was delivered to our address, and alerted us to the situation.
The police didn't want to know.
The credit card campany accepted it was their error and accepted the hit £££
The FH sorting Office Manager produced the 'post diversion authorisation letter' which had completely wrong details of my wife and the signature was nothing like my wife's.

He said it was due to Royal Mail cutbacks and an increase in temporary staff.
mosy

Post by mosy »

In light of what you say ALIB, then I'll add that recorded delivery packages have usually been "already signed for me" by the postman (or office). A postman told me so, when I asked how come I didn't need to sign for something that I needed to sign for...?

I've queried Recorded Delivery with the Post Office and am told that it is not tracked to the point of delivery (or at all once the money has been taken at buying postage stage). Misleading trade description? Dunno but a pointless service to rely on IMO.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

On a slight tangent but might be related, yesterday I saw someone rummaging though my neighbours bins, as its a large house split into flats I thought it might be a new resident, the lady, middle aged and Asian in appearance seemed to be sifting though bin bags looking for paper , it was only when she walked out of their front garden and started taking an interest in my bins that I realised what was going on.
be careful of what you throw out as I believe she was trying to find info for identity theft purposes.
She also had a male companion who remained on the street some distance away acting as look out
Digger

Post by Digger »

I'm on Anerley Rd, and it's hard to say how much is stolen, and how much goes missing. We learned years ago that presents to and from family in Australia weren't arriving, so we just gave up.

One thing I do know to be true is that our mailman/woman can't read English. We get mail belonging to everyone else in South London, so presumably, everyone else is getting ours. I think everyone who works for Royal Mail should be able to read and speak English.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Digger wrote:...
I think everyone who works for Royal Mail should be able to read and speak English.
I don't want to be accused of being BigBadWolf - but in my opinion you should be able to at least speak English if you want to live in this country, regardless of if you want to work or not!

and the postal situation here is amazing compared to what we had in our old flat, from the SE1 sorting office in Mandella Way.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree that post people should be able to read English correctly. Surely this is a basis requirement for the job.
Claudia Drezner

Post by Claudia Drezner »

JRobinson wrote:
I think everyone who works for Royal Mail should be able to read and speak English.
I don't want to be accused of being BigBadWolf - but in my opinion you should be able to at least speak English if you want to live in this country, regardless of if you want to work or not!.
i thought we'd done away with racism after i got bbw banned! what you've written is actually very racist! alot of immigrants dont have to time to learn english because they work so many hours! have a heart!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

I can't see what is racist in ensuring that people who are expected to deliver post can read and understand english - it is after all an essential part of the role. Sadly steadily declining literacy rates in the uk conspire against us...
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Claudia Drezner wrote:i thought we'd done away with racism after i got bbw banned! what you've written is actually very racist! alot of immigrants dont have to time to learn english because they work so many hours! have a heart!
What utter rubbish Claudia, do you know what "racist" means ?

People should be qualified for the job they are doing, if it involves reading envelopes ermmmm is it not logical that you should um read ?
Claudia Drezner

Post by Claudia Drezner »

discriminating against a foreign/minority worker = racism!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Claudia Drezner wrote:discriminating against a foreign/minority worker = racism!
Who said we are talking about foreign workers necessarily - not every uk born adult can read.

And if people do not have the skills set to do a job then it isn't discrimination - an example of discrimination is where you choose one person over another - both who have the skills set required for the job - because you object to their skin colour.

Simples.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Last edited by kingfisher on 7 Sep 2011 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You got BBW banned, did you Claudia? You sound very proud of yourself. I don't like racists, but I don't like people who call 'racist!' at every opportunity either. I also object to the overuse of exclamation marks. What have you got against full stops? Are you prejudiced against them?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No [...] interesting threads [...]
Start one then, Kingfisher.

Oh,I see you just have. About the return of some television series. Sounds fascinating!!!!

Alternatively, how about something on football? Everyone's interested in that.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Claudia Drezner wrote:
JRobinson wrote:
I don't want to be accused of being BigBadWolf - but in my opinion you should be able to at least speak English if you want to live in this country, regardless of if you want to work or not!.
Actually you do have to speak English to live in this country to an international standard. I don't know about Asylum seekers, I believe they get English lessons (a old flatmate of mine was an interpreter for the foreign office) but to get a visa to live or work here you HAVE to pass an English Exam. I don't think that's reasonable. If I want to settle or work in another country then I'd learn the language. Contrary to many reports, it's not easy or cheap to settle in the UK, which is one reason why so many end up staying illegally. They then slip below the minimum wage and paying taxes and into exploitive short term employment which pays as little as £1 an hour.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

kingfisher wrote:... you and your cronies got BBW banned ...
I must correct that Kingfisher. That decision was mine and mine only in consultation with another moderator. We are not cronies of Claudia. Indeed I do not know who she is.

Town Hall is for news and events - not wild accusations or personal abuse. If you wish to flame please take it to the Town Pub.

Admin
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Claudia
Your comments that a lot of people are too hard working to learn English is ridiculus.

The Post Office is surely one job for which it is essential.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Claudia Drezner wrote:i thought we'd done away with racism after i got bbw banned! what you've written is actually very racist! alot of immigrants dont have to time to learn english because they work so many hours! have a heart!
Claudia - As I've remarked elsewhere, we take our liberalism seriously on this Forum, and you have to do a bit more than write something which just one other person sees as racist to get yourself banned. Otherwise the author of this post a few weeks back might have got herself banned
??? wrote:OMG what colour were they? you never see jewish kids doing this kind of things
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic. ... 502#p50502

BTW, what's with the shift key on your keyboard?