theatre space wanted

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
safdirector

theatre space wanted

Post by safdirector »

Jonathan Kaufman, director of the Sydenham Arts Festival, is looking for a permanent home for his theatre company, Spontaneous Productions, currently staging The Importance of Being Earnest at The Dolphin Pub. Can anyone suggest a space, ideally seating between 40-70 people, with adjoining dressing room/office in the SE26 area? I'm looking at rooms next to and above pubs & wine bars in the area now, as well as empty shops and premises on the high street and Kirkdale, but have had no joy yet. All suggestions welcome!

Jonathan
07904 505923
http://www.spontaneousproductions.co.uk/
sponprods@gmail.com
safdirector

Re: theatre space wanted

Post by safdirector »

Still looking for that elusive theatre space!
A few people have suggested finding an empty pub and reopening it as a combined performance space/drinking establishment - this would require finding a business partner/licensee tenant? Anyone know of anywhere? Or anyone who might be interested in coming in on this project?
Jonathan Kaufman
Creative Director
Spontaneous Productions
(& director of Sydenham Arts Festival)
sponprods@gmail.com
poppy

Post by poppy »

Hello

There was a lovely large, double-fronted detached house on Vennner Road that was being used by artists, I think as an exhibition space a year or two ago. It is on your right hand side if walking from Sydenham High street just past Tredown Road.

Have you considered asking the new owners of the Greyhound if they could offer some space in the future?

P
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

thanks for the suggestions. The Venner Road house, I understand, is no longer viable as a performance space. As far as I am aware, the new owners of the Greyhound are planning to turn the upstairs rooms into bed and breakfast accommodation. Any other suggestions though are very welcome!
thanks
Jonathan
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

No doubt these have already been suggested Jonathan, but Livesey Hall, the old sorting office or surely one of the schools around Sydenham could be possibilities. I know the old sorting office was going to be a pilates studio (it's an amazing space inside), but nothing has come of this as yet after a long long time.
michael

Post by michael »

Louise House, once the pool is completed in about one year.