The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nature Boy

Re: The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by Nature Boy »

I don't know this to be the case but maybe I can answer this mystery. I suspect that Antic are agreeing a lease of the building from the developer and meanwhile the developers are trying to sell the freehold of the building to someone else.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Acorn are offering the Freehold or a lease and its definatley the main pub , not the building behind

gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I was looking forward to a new pub opening. But has anyone tried the Bridge House on Crystal Palace Park Road? (near Penge West Station) nicely refurbished. good mix of clientele and Ok pub grub.
sophie

Post by sophie »

How about another pound-type shop? We don't have that many of them on the high street ...

:lol:
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Eagle wrote:Juliet
I agree with you that we need more decent pubs , but I can assure you that the Old Greyhound has not been a decent pub for at least 40 odd years.
Ah, yes, must admit that as a relatively recent "immigrant" to SE26, I haven't ever seen either the Woodman or the Greyhound open. Was just going on the outside/position to judge "decentness". :)
Moonpig

Post by Moonpig »

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know if Sainsburys are still planning to occupy the retail space or have they had second thoughts too?!
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

I hope not. We're surrounded by Sainsburys already and Homebase for that matter. Can't we have more choice without having to travel further afield?
dickp

Post by dickp »

Speak for yourself. Up here in Lawrie Park, our only "local" shop betwen us and the station are of the Payless variety. A Sainbury's would be very welcome.
poppy

Post by poppy »

It says antic.com or something similar on the hoardings so how does that fit in?
biscuitman1978

The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by biscuitman1978 »

ladybird wrote:I hope not. We're surrounded by Sainsburys already and Homebase for that matter. Can't we have more choice without having to travel further afield?
I take your point in relation to grocery stores, although a store in the new development would provide mainly for top-up shopping (day-to-day purchases of bread, milk, etc), for which people generally travel only short distances, often on foot. So, as there is no Sainsbury's in the immediate area (it's about a mile to the stores in Penge, Forest Hill and Bell Green), there's a good argument to say that it would improve choice, at the expense of trips to nearby independents on Kirkdale and Sydenham Road, Co-operative Food and, to a lesser extent, the Tesco Express store on Kirkdale.

It's also worth noting that Sainsbury's sold Homebase about ten years ago (see http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/index.asp? ... NewsID=109). In any case, Homebase sell DIY goods, so I'm not sure the presence of a Homebase store impacts on your choice of grocery stores.
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

gerispringer wrote:I was looking forward to a new pub opening. But has anyone tried the Bridge House on Crystal Palace Park Road? (near Penge West Station) nicely refurbished. good mix of clientele and Ok pub grub.
It is a nice pub, but the downstairs area has some of the worst pub furniture I've ever seen!

Also a rather restricted range of ales and ciders for London.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

Just emailed the company re: opening of the greyhound - basically saying loads of people looking forward to it opening - could they clarify opening dates etc.

It'll be brilliant for sydenham and probably a real success in terms of being a significant distance from the dolphin.

Let's remain positive!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

sydenhamboy wrote:Just emailed the company re: opening of the greyhound - basically saying loads of people looking forward to it opening - could they clarify opening dates etc.

It'll be brilliant for sydenham and probably a real success in terms of being a significant distance from the dolphin.

Let's remain positive!
Hope they do take it over - good pubs make such a difference to an area.

When I moved to Crystal Palace over 20 years ago the pubs in the triangle were pretty dire (IMO - others may differ!). We now have the White Hart (which actually now needs a bit of a spruce up to be honest), the Sparrowhawk (recent and v welcome addition) and my favourite - The Grape and Grain :) Also Numidie Bar!

When I lived in Sydenham there were no pubs that inspired me. We did visit the Dolphin a wee while ago but weren't too impressed with service or food. Fingers crossed that this all works out for Sydenham.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I too emailed Antic yesterday morning, no response as yet. Will chase in the next day or so.

G-man

Dorian

Post by Dorian »

How about the owners are approached with a view too a community lease on the Pub ? Theatre space, coffee shop and bar.......there is surley enough support to make it work ?

If of course ANTIC are no longer in the frame
simon

Post by simon »

Was thinking the same myself Dorian.
There was a campaign to keep the Greyhound as a pub and the Mayor intervened so it was eventually saved from demolition.
If Antic cant do it then perhaps its down to the people of Sydenham to do it themselves. There are loads of examples of community pubs around the country and lots of help and advice available: http://www.communitypubs.org/.
Money's the rub, obviously.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

simon wrote:Money's the rub, obviously.
Yes and No ( mainly , yes)
The way I see it the remaining building is too small for any serious operator and probably needs a lot of cash spent on it to make it operational.

The Sydenham Society were instrumental in saving the Pub and enlisitng the Mayors support to do so, commendable and widley appluaded. Maybe now they can step forward and help with ensuring , as , I just discovered stated by a Councillor on this site on the subject... Im sure they would stick to this claim and help out
I support the retention of the frontage of The Greyhound as well as the core of the building that includes the ceramic tiled wall panels and the original carved wooded screen. There is now scope to work with the developer to ensure that the new buildings on the site will be of a quality that will add to the conservation area and enhance this focal point of Sydenham.
I think it could happen and would anwer a lot of Community issues on this forum. I would be up for helping.
Okepinay

Post by Okepinay »

I have a long standing bet with my partner that the pub will never open!
It was just a way to get the go ahead for the building of the flats etc.
I would never be surprised if it caught fire!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Blimey!

Antic want the greyhound, think they are opening later this year and believe they have the building. Acorn think the pub is still for sale/rent.

Hopefully we can get clarity on this rather than just negative speculation.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Has anyone contacted the developer / freeholder, to find out what's going on?