The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
biscuitman1978

Re: The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by biscuitman1978 »

dickp wrote:Has anyone contacted the developer / freeholder, to find out what's going on?
I emailed Purelake, the developer, on Monday evening. No response yet!
poppy

Post by poppy »

Does anyone know if the model was to scale? The flats do look a lot closer, from this side of the Greyhound anyway, than they looked on the the model I saw in Kirkdale Bookshop.

P
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes Poppy I agree. I thought when viewing the artists impression that the flats were a lot further away from the Greyhound ( or what is left of it ) . They seemed to have moved the building on The Cobb's side wheich was part of the Pub.
I would be surprised if any reputable Pub company would want an establishemnt so small. Especaiily if they usually include food.
Regretably the devolpers may have won and the Greyhound will come down after all. Perhaps that was their intention all along.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Well I say, make them take it down! Other people have to when they don't stick to their plans!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It's all good...I received this from Fi at Antic when I chased her...

Apologies, I thought I had replied to this, I have had a few enquiries about the pub.
All I can tell you is that we currently still own the pub and there are no plans to move it on. I am afraid there is really nothing more to say. We are in limbo with it until such time that we are allowed to move in and start work and it wont be until then that we know the full extent of the work we will need to do. But as I say, this property is currently still ours.
If I hear any different, I will of course mail you back and update you.

Cheers

G-Man
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

I agree with most of you that the actual footprint of the flats looks bigger than the plans that were on show in the bookshop.

If you walk down Spring Hill and view the building work there must be only about 10 feet between the front of the flats and the rear of the pub. Who would want to live in a flat with a view of the backend of a boozer?

I have also noticed over the past week that not a lot of building work has gone on, they are still on the first fix and haven't got near to roofing and making the building waterproof ready for the second fix. Are Purelake having financial difficulties? and the entire development is in problems.

I would love to see a decent pub there but I haven't got the cash to invest nor would I know about how to get it. It would be wonderful if someone like Rick from the Grape and Grain took it on, decent beer, reasonable grub and nice cliental.

I would also like to see perhaps a small Waitrose or M&S to open in one of the retail outlets, that would certainly start the trend upwards.

My fingers are crossed for somewhere decent to drink in over Christmas and a decent food shop.
Annie

Post by Annie »

We are in limbo with it until such time that we are allowed to move in and start work and it wont be until then that we know the full extent of the work we will need to do. But as I say, this property is currently still ours.

I think these couple of lines says it all,
I bet they find it to expensive and ask to be allowed to pull it down.

Who let them build that close to a historical pub?
and who in their right mind would want to live behind it,and so close to the traffic fumes and traffic noise.
I think the pub will go
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie
I regretably agree we will probably not get a Pub.
The original Greyhound also had side buildings which appear to have gone. I would imagine too small now for a decent real ale pub with food.

As someone says all the housing is social I think you can forget Marks or Waitrose.

This whole incident is very sad. What was required was a community space , like Beckenham Green , with just the Pub. But the planners seem to, want to double the populace of SE 26.

Guess the planners have done a good job as they never wanted the Pub in the first place. Think how many more flats they can build now.
Annie

Post by Annie »

But it shouldn't be allowed,
How can developers just move in and charge the area, the Greyhound is a landmark in Sydenham,
I just hope that they are not allowed to knock it down,
when I saw the plans for the flats and pub, I thought ok, fair enough housing is needed, but I thought there was going to be a nice "square" to walk through,pop into a nice pub,have a nice meal etc etc,
If this is not going to happen, then someone should be held responsible.
I know, I am jumping the gun before anyone says I am, but,I have a feeling :wink:
Moonpig

Post by Moonpig »

Annie, I have to agree- I was really looking forward to a pub and mini supermarket and I also think that it is now looking unlikely. I thought that The Greyhound project would be a real boost to our area, however after reading through all of the recent postings re the housing and the pub, it seems that the general opinion is one of disappointment and that's before it is even finished!
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

It's very glass-half-empty round here isn't it?

At the risk of coming in and being a Tigger in crowd of Eeyores - I'm still very optimistic!

-Antic have clearly stated they haven't pulled out and don't have any intention about selling on.

-The build looks very much likely the artists impression, including limited space to the rear of the Greyhound, so we can assume that Antic and others know what they were getting into, and that Antic think it's a viable size and site:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_greyhound_plans.html

-As far as I know it was Sainsbury's rather than Marks or Waitrose that was supposed to be taking one of the retail units, and I don't see why they would pull out, social housing or otherwise -it's a prime location and I'm sure they'll be brisk trade from commuters etc

-the space to the rear of the Greyhound is a bit restricted, but there's more room for a bit of 'public realm' or outdoor seating to the right of the pub

-there appears to a decent amount of space to the rear of development which is good news for the residents of Peak Hill Gardens who were worried about living in permanant shadow.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I'm confused...Antic have said they are taking it, the only mention of Waitrose and M&S as far as I can see are from people wishing they would take the space (in fact I seem to remember some members emailing them and both of these companies saying they had no plans to take this space on) so how have we all decided that it's doomed?

It all seems to be going to plan as far as I can see, so I think I'll continue to look forward to having a nice pint there when it opens...
Annie

Post by Annie »

Good for you
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Well said, Weeble and Willy.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And Biscuitman1978!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

What Tim and Biscuitman1978 said!

Jeepers Creepers, I was sending that on to clarify that the pub is happening, it's good news and as far as they are concerned the pub will be opening.

Let's have some positive vibes around here eh? Otherwise they'll think they are opening a pub in an area where all anyone talks about is doom and gloom... :lol:

G-Man
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

What they're building is not what is shown in that image - the flats are extending over the nearside buildings too.

I don't see any reason yet to not think that the pub will get refitted and re-opened once the site becomes accessible. It might not be the biggest pub in the world, but maybe it will be a nice one because of it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure whay they cannot work on the pub at the same time as work being completed on the flats.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:Not sure whay they cannot work on the pub at the same time as work being completed on the flats.
Exactly Eagle.
The lines where it says
We are in limbo with it until such time that we are allowed to move in and start work and it wont be until then that we know the full extent of the work we will need to do. But as I say, this property is currently still
Worries me.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree Annie , surely they have had enough access to estimate cost .