The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MrPink

The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by MrPink »

Does anyone know when this pub will re open. A few years ago I heard a west end restaurateur had bought it. Doubt that true though. Just want another good bar or pub in Sydenham. The dolphin us nice but another would really lift the place. Anyone know of any?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Re: The pub on the kirkdale roundabout

Post by Eagle »

I heard November but may have been put back.
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Antic Ltd (http://www.antic-ltd.com/) will operate the new pub.

Their website for the pub says that it will open in winter of this year - see http://www.greyhoundsydenham.com/
Guachina

Post by Guachina »

So is the Woodman now going to be called the Greyhound? If that is the case, it will be very confusing!

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Now I am confused , where does The Woodman come into this???
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Woodman is at the top of Kirkdale opposite Dartmouth Road and AFAIK no longer a pub! Whereas the Greyhound (old & new with a short excursion into slug & lettuce land) is on Sydenham Road at the (bottom of) Kirkdale Roundabout. That's the subject of this discussion.

Changing names has been the Fox & Hounds (just below The Woodman) to Foxies ...

Admin
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

excellent news - they run some brilliant bars .. will only be a good thing for Sydders
newbrit

Post by newbrit »

I've been to Foxie's, and it is a nice place, bright and clean and comfortable. Yes, the average age dropped a bit when I went in, but I don't think it is a problem.

The former Woodman is being refurbished and will open soon. The guy working there did not know exactly when, though.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

A bit confusing as I understood that ANTIC had bought the Greyhound but it appears to be newly for sale, with the suggestion that it could be a " Bookmakers" ?

http://www.acorncommercial.co.uk/proper ... denham-178

Maybe ANTIC have pulled out of the transaction.
simon

Post by simon »

That is interesting Dorian. Can't see it being a bookmakers as it isn't down as A2 use. Perhaps ANTIC are having problems right now; the opening of the Sylvan Post in Forest Hill has been delayed. Perhaps they could provide clarification.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Not sure what Acorn are playing it, Antic say it's theirs and they wil start work on it when the site behind is safe. Also that the Post Office site in Forest Hill wil be open before Christmas.

It was a very enthusiastic email from them so hopefully we will have a great pub in Sydenham and not a bookmakers.

Cheers Acorn!
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Thats why I said " Confusing" Lee

Why would an agent market a property that they were not instructed to and was owned by another party................its strange
poppy

Post by poppy »

Are the signs to market the flats maybe?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

No, look at the link its.

The flats are all Social Housing.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

I've just mailed Acorn and they came back saying its definitely for the pub and that Antic arn't taking it. I also mailed Antic and Fi there said she was pretty sure it was still their's unless something has happended that she didn't know about. So definitely some confusion and a great shame if its true. Been looking forward to that opening for ages!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If Antic have withdrawn interest I am not surprised. The artists impressions looked much nicer that the terrible flats that are nearing completion. So close to Pub.

Also if all social housing as someone said perhaps this demographics does not match their pub style.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

If true, this is really bad news. First the Woodman and now the Greyhound. Are we going to lose all the half decent pubs? And though no one is going to cry over the demise of the Two Half's, overall it shows a really worrying trend away from pub/restaurants towards non-food commercial. :( And the suggestion of *another* bookmakers!?! :cry: :shock:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Juliet
I agree with you that we need more decent pubs , but I can assure you that the Old Greyhound has not been a decent pub for at least 40 odd years.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

With my email to Antic, they said they definitely had it and were going to start work on it as soon as the site was safe to do so.

Perhaps Acorn have got it wrong and are marketing the pub instead of the renovated building behind (which was once part of the pub) which does have permission for different classes of use.

Something tells me it's more likely that Acorn have their wires crossed.
jonekt

Post by jonekt »

I hope so. I was really looking forward to the new pub opening.