Life Changing Ministries To Sing Until 1 a.m.

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Clown

Life Changing Ministries To Sing Until 1 a.m.

Post by The Clown »

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=64082

Please see Application DC/11/78079

The Life Changing Ministries are claiming that their church requires them to sing until 1 a.m. in order to comply with their doctrine.

To quote the application letter

"As a Pentecostal Spiritual Church its doctrine requires one night vigil a month, we therefore make this application in order to promote and foster good Christian moral values (Life Changing Ministry International), among the church members and to accomodate midnight prayers by the members a spiritually transforming event for all participants.

The all night vigil provides both a prayerful and social atmosphere. This is a fulls session prayer that gives the Parisheners and other participants a non-threatening opportunity to regroup spiritually, receive sacraments, and make a fresh start in their Christian discipleship."

So far there have only been two objections (one of them being mine) - deadline is next Wedneseday (28th)

Prinicpal concern is detriment to the area / noisy night time activity / parking on quiet neighbouring roads.

Im particularly concerned about slamming car doors etc. when people are leaving

Locals - You have been warned
Eagle

Re: Life Changing Ministries To Sing Until 1 a.m.

Post by Eagle »

Surely Volkspares not moving again or even closing. They used to be in Venner Rd in 50's and 60's.

Guess the church will be next to the Betting Office which should be interesting.
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

Church already open at 106 next to Volkspares. Ramshacle sign outside the other day.
Looking to open now until 1 a.m.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

The church has been open and holding services throughout this year. The proposed extension is for opening until 01:00 on the first Friday of each month only. My wife and I live next to number 106, the side of the building being the back wall of our garden. We were a little uncertain about how it would be when the church opened, but have found that it creates no disturbance. The singing is barely audible when standing next to the wall (my hearing is not age-impaired) and inaudible further away. The congregation are neat and very restrained in their behaviour when entering and leaving. We were worried that our driveway might be blocked. This has never happened.

As an atheist I remain impartial regarding religious services, but would certainly not object to the proposed extension.

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Chris what a good Christian attitude.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Eagle wrote:Chris what a good Christian attitude.
:D The school I attended, many years ago, was part of a Benedictine monastery. Possibly the attitude has remained even though the belief is long gone!

Regards
Chris
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am not regretably a believer, but see that those who are gain a great deal from religion.

We are still nominally a christian country , although we are very tolerant of other religions.

Where would we be without Christian names for instance.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

I dunno... I would rather someone living next door to me didn't have en masse singing until 1am with folk making their way home afterwards< Noises carry at that time of night, no matter how much pepes are tiptoe-ing.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

They would have to be partying pretty hard to be heard above the normal activity on the Sydenham Road/Newlands Park junction on a Friday night! Noisy traffic and shouted conversations dominate until well after 01:00. It is the price one pays for living at the centre of things.

Regards
Chris
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I maintain it's God-awful.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Knowing the area well I would think parking was an impossible situation either in Newlands Pk or Homecroft. But I guess as Jesus did not use a car then the believers will walk or use a donkey.
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Outside working hours, and all day Sunday, the parking outside Volkspares is empty. It is private property, but so long as it is clear by start of business they do not seem to mind cars parked there. However, if you do leave a car there you get one warning and then it will be clamped.

Regards
Chris
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Maybe get the street drinkers to go along for a sing song too - then we might see how tolerant their church is.
mosy

Post by mosy »

If such permission were to be granted, how easy would it be to get that permission decision reversed or revoked for good reason (whatever that might be) afterwards?

Just thinking out loud is all.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy
If you are a client of Volkspares you can pressure them to ban parking at all times on their land. If not , no idea what you can do.