The two half´s pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: The two half´s pub

Post by Eagle »

I think it looked grim when it was open.

Did not attract the upper levels of society in SE26
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Eagle wrote:Did not attract the upper levels of society in SE26
How is that defined then Eagle ?

Could be ideal for a " Theatre Space " that has been appealed for on here ?
poppy

Post by poppy »

Can anyone think of any successful shops/bars/restaurants in CP or East Dulwich who might be interested in opening up another branch?

If so maybe we could email them and let them know this site is available and give them some background to how the area is changing.

Three new quality coffee shops, one gastro pub and another on the way, Trat Raff, the interiors shop (all in five years) and info on the arts festival and the changing demographic maybe they might consider it. It is in a prime site!

P
Last edited by poppy on 30 Sep 2011 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Oh, yes, and the Fishmongers and Butchers and of course the East London Line, which actually has more frequent trains than CP - all new additions! And the fact that Pedders Estate Agents has opened up, means they must be optimistic about the area.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

poppy wrote:Can anyone think of any successful shops/bars/restaurants in CP or East Dulwich who might be interested in opening up another branch?

If so maybe we could email them and let them know this site is available and give them some background to how the area is changing.

Three new quality coffee shops, one gastro pub and another on the way, Trat Raff, the interiors shop (all in five years) and info on the arts festival and the changing demographic maybe they might consider it. It is in a prime site!
Myself and G-lady were up in Dalston last night going to an Oxjam gig and we were talking about what might open there. We were sat in a lovely Turkish Restaurant and thought 'this might work'.

There is a good one in ED but I don't know what it's called? The pub is a very big space though, but who knows.

G-Man
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Sounds an ideal site for a cupcake shop.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Are you serious , that is the last thing the all day drinkers would require.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Robin Orton wrote:Sounds an ideal site for a cupcake shop.
Ahh..... how easily you are won over :D

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Fatbackfour

Post by Fatbackfour »

At least when it was open there was only one pub to avoid in Sydenham. who knows where the locals will turn up now
Perhaps in your local
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

Surely this site would be a good alternative for Antic, if they're thinking about pulling out of the Greyhound development as suggested in the other thread.
AdamN

Post by AdamN »

If Antic are pulling out of the Greyhound site then they should be encouraged to look at the Two Half's (sic). It used to be a fantastic pub back in the early 90's, half pub, half curry house, and a really great curry house as well. It was called the Pukka Bar, if anyone remembers and served some of the finest Indian food in town. When the owners left the new owners carried on for a while with the two halves format, hence the name, but it was never the same.
I can't remember what it was called before the Pukka Bar, does anyone know.
Also there used to be a great Italian Deli just past the Chinese restaurant, that was well on a par with what they have in Lordship Lane, does anyone remember that?
simon

Post by simon »

Before it was Pukka Bar it was a carpet shop. It was extensively and expensively fitted out by one of the guys behind St John in Smithfield. It was great and got rave reviews in the national press but closed after only a few months.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Be surprised if Antic interested in a Pub of that size and location , but of course could be wrong
pip

Post by pip »

When I moved to sydenham in 1985 the Two Halfs was a furniture shop. Ive also heard whispers that PFC next door have shown interest in taking over and turning it into a restaurant presumably Turkish.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Oh! So we will have two turkish restaurants then!

You wait for ages then…
sophie

Post by sophie »

Apologies if I am repeating anything already covered!

Does anyone remember when it (The 2 halfs) was a bed shop and then became the Pukka Bar? It really was fantastic food there. Such a shame the idea didn't take off.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Missed the thread about Antic pulling out of the Greyhound? Is this true? If it is I'm gutted, was very excited about them opening a boozer in Sydenham.

Lee: where is the other Turkish Restaurant? If it's the spot opposite Kirkdale Books I was told it was going to be a fish and chip shop by someone working on it.

G-man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
poppy

Post by poppy »

Maybe there might be bars and restaurants etc currently in the Hoxton area who could be approached, especially as some of their locals might be moving down here to buy because it is cheaper? Does this sound daft?

Have definately seen some 'Hoxton' types looking in estate agents windows at the weekends. P
marymck

Post by marymck »

I just want to put in a plea that, whatever happens, the new owners retain the wonderfully bizarre "Two Half's" name. It certainly gets the place talked about and could be exploited publicity when it reopens.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Poppy
What is a Hoxton looking type so I can keep an eye open for them.

I have not been to Hoxton for about 5 years but did not strike me as very up market , but maybe it has changed.