The two half´s pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AdamN

Re: The two half´s pub

Post by AdamN »

@Poppy:
You may find this video helpful.....

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA[/youtubes]
Asenath

Post by Asenath »

I go to gigs at the Hoxton Bar and Kitchen every now and again. It's painfully trendy and I'm generally the only person there over the age of 24...
poppy

Post by poppy »

Yes, 'painfully' trendy sums it up! That is the type seen in these parts recently... :D
cockneyrebel

Post by cockneyrebel »

What is going on with this pub, will it just remain boarded up?

It's an eye sore in the middle of the high street. Even what it was before is better than this.

Also given Lewisham Council will spend millions on consultants, can't Bullock and his cronies find a bit of money to do up shop fronts in high streets. How much can new shop front signages cost? Less than one consultant for the whole high street I suspect.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This so called pub more of an eyesore when it was open.

Not sure who would want to set up next to the 24 hour drinkers.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

cockneyrebel wrote: Also given Lewisham Council will spend millions on consultants, can't Bullock and his cronies find a bit of money to do up shop fronts in high streets. How much can new shop front signages cost? Less than one consultant for the whole high street I suspect.
Lewisham have employed consultants for shop fronts in other areas, but not as yet in Sydenham. But it's not the councils responsibility, they don't own the shops.

Good signage isn't expensive. But change always has a cost. It's nearly always cheaper to keep an existing shop front and apply decent signage using quality materials that is well designed. It has a huge effect not just on the business, but the high street as a whole. The shop fronts are the most visible part of any high street. My personal belief is that money would be better to spent on shop fronts than on pavements and railings. Ideally both will go hand in hand. But unless we address the issues that are really dragging down how Sydenham is perceived such as litter, shabby shops etc, all the positive changes that have and will happen in the near future will amount to little.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I think that the two halfs should become a local home brew shop.

only I don't know anyone in that line to either start one, or to add one from an existing buisness.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

JRobinson wrote:I think that the two halfs should become a local home brew shop.

only I don't know anyone in that line to either start one, or to add one from an existing buisness.
I think that would be amazing, but might not make a lot of money, there are so many good online stores now. How about a compromise though?

I was reading the London Drinker the other day and there is an increase in Pubs having small micro-breweries on their premises, there is certainly the space. Then perhaps they could sell homebrew kit as well!

Maybe a pipe dream, but you never know...

G-Man
mosy

Post by mosy »

If I can put a possibly totally mad idea forward... I don't know how big it is, but what about a games centre, comprising table tennis, pool, darts (offensive weapons?), quiet area for chess, scrabble; quiz-nights? Big screen TV for footie matches etc? I haven't the faintest how on earth this would make money especially if it didn't have a drinks licence and a million slot machines though so it would be more of a community service than a business. I know it could be wrecked by spiteful miscreants the day it opens being the world we live in but most people are law abiding.

There aren't really any winter activities in Sydenham, be they for young or old who are on foot - or maybe there are and I just don't know about them.

The point at the moment seems to me to be that it's cheaper to drink at home than in a pub (plus drink/drive concerns of course) so I'm struggling to see how a pub would make money during this recession either.

Just thought I'd throw this ball in the air and see if it falls like a lead balloon :mrgreen:
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

mosy wrote:f I can put a possibly totally mad idea forward...
I dont think its a mad idea , its a good one. The freeholder will be paying empty rates which I would imagine are not an insignificant sum and if a lease could be taken by a community entity with charitable status this would negate that issue. Problem is some one needs to take a lead and organise it. The place could also provide thetare space, screening for the Film society and a focal point for Meliisa's work as well as a genral social function....Perhaps a better use of financial resource than say a "Mural"...........what if...
mosy

Post by mosy »

Oo, I'm on a roll here... In quiet times during the day, they could move little tables to the edges and hold tea dances, or salsa sessions whatever on different days, given the popularity of Strictly on the telly. I tried a modern dance class when the aerobics class was full and boy does that take some concentration (as well as improving fitness of course). Courses which tend to fill up quickly also are how to use the internet etc, so group tutorials could take place on a different day.

If it could become a reasonably paying concern, it would also provide/create jobs, be educational - as well as "somewhere to go".

Rather ambitious I know, but I'd rather money went into something like that than the now infamous mural. It could also provide a way of networking by meeting others if trying to find a job - or just promote a feeling of being part of a community.

I talk too much and all talk no action is not good. I wouldn't know how to try to get something like this off the ground unfortunately.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

All decent ideas Mosy and Dorian.

How about a pop up market place where local people can sell their wares/crafts/local goods (it's a huge space inside and a similar idea was floated a while back in another Sydenham Space). Obviously an indoor farmers market could be an option.

Making it into the Sydenham Theatre would be amazing. It could be the space Spontaneous productions are looking for. The Mernier Chocolate Factory is a fantastic resource near London Bridge. I love going to smaller venues like this, be it for theatre, music or comedy.

It's worth speaking to Space Makers who were involved in the Brixton Market and Norwood Feasts. They are really nice guys and great at what they do. I presented alongside them at Design for London along with a host of other interesting people like Hunter Gatherers who have created pop up shops and events including small business incubators. These guys can make tehse ideas, or others happen.

If we or our councillors/civic societies want a vibrant high street, I strongly urge them to talk to these guys and perhaps get them involved in a bid for a slice of the £40 million on offer in round two of the Outer London Fund. Deadline 14th November.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Have done a bit of digging, with interesting results, not all of which I understand. The land was sold in 1926 by an Alfred Seager to three brothers Charles, James and William Moore.

In 1971 a lease for 45 years was granted to "South Suburban Co-Operative Society Limited" !

Thats lease was varied in 1997 but is still extant, the freehold is owned by a Company registered in East London that has a zero balance sheet and shows at Companies house as dormant.

I honestly beleive this is a great opportunity, just needs someone to take it on as a project , Mosy ? Lee ? Im happy to sound out the owners in the first instance, if there is enough interest.
mosy

Post by mosy »

How would one gauge interest in a pipedream? With my ideas, I reckon "build it and they will come". Bad news if they don't of course. My biggest concern would be a large indoor, relatively lightless area in the high summer months.

The trouble with pop-in markets and table-sales is that the stall/table cost is so high that one is running at a loss already (per item sold) given the growing or making cost of goods sold, unless an absolutely huge number is sold to cover that overhead (so before making any profit), especially when a lot of people browse rather than buy.

The only thing I could see working would be something aimed at weekly repeat business from customers. Perhaps they should turn it into a pub ;)
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Have you heard of the Brixton Market pop up shops that were run by Space Makers? That was a roaring success.

No reason why pop up shops and business start up incubators can't work Mosy, they have in other places.

I'm not feeling positive about Sydenham at the moment. It's turning the wrong way and quickly. It seems as if so many other boroughs have big plans for their town centres run by strong traders associations, civic groups and councils that work together, anaylise the problems and develop cohesive strategies to solve them.

We get £3 million plus quid of new paving, a pocket park between an estate agent and a bank (the main businesses you see when you leave the station) and another one between yet another bank and an empty shop. On top of this there is poor enforcement of the conservation area (and disjointed regarding Kente and the bricks they used for their Stall Riser), no aspiration, no bid for the £50 million Outer London Fund (as yet, Round one was missed) and a £65,000 mosaic pushed for by our local councillors that has eaten up over £12 grand of public funds so far and all it's currently doing is blocking light in the window of the bookshop.

Hopefully the Greyhound will help Sydenham restore some pride in itself and it's appearance because at the moment the high street is going downhill. I really feel sorry for those businesses who are trying and are as frustrated as I am. Compared to what I'm seeing working in other boroughs with various groups and local traders etc around London, Sydenham is really really really falling behind.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Here's Space Makers website, if either of you (Dorian and Mosy) want to contact them. I'm rushed off my feet at the moment so haven't got time to follow it up myself.

http://spacemakers.org.uk/

I'm with you Lee, I find the whole mosaic thing ridiculous, that money could have done so much more. Such a shame about what is happening as when we moved here we had such high hopes. I think there still is hope though. I do wonder why the Sydenham Society aren't commenting on any of these posts, or Chris Best for that matter.

Here's to the Greyhound!

G-Man
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

G-Man

Can I suggest you contact a communications professional who might be able to advise Chris? He's called Mike Harris, email mike@mjrharris.co.uk, and is one of her Labour Party colleagues on Lewisham Council. On his professional web site he writes
Effective media are being democraticised. It’s easier than at any time before to get your message across and to involve people globally in your values, and ideas. It is no longer expensive either. I’ve advised MPs, trade unions, NGOs, film production companies, and local government on how they can use social media and traditional campaigning.
So perhaps he can advise her too, pro bono.

He ran into a spot of bother on Brockley Central last year for backing the Newsshopper in giving star rating to a homophobic rant. His defense was libertarian - he is after all also Head of Advocacy at free speech organisation Index on Censorship, with a particular interest in Belarus. However, he didn't have to defend it being the star letter. I think a better, but still libertarian approach to censorship is demonstrated by our very own Admin. Cllr Harris' critics suggest he was influenced by local party politics.

I would assume he got himself adopted as a Labour candidate in a winnable London ward as a stepping stone to a more glorious career in national politics, but now he's here, he may be finding out that more experienced hands such as Chris aren't as keen on an open society as he is. Of course, they will say they are using all modern social media tools, and will try to suggest no one reads this Forum - it's what I used to hear from the absent friends of the Sydenham Society. Instead they try to set up channels of communication which they can control - such as Cllr John Paschoud's LovePerryVale site. However, as a communications professional, I'm sure Mike Harris will be able to tell his colleagues - perhaps more tactfully than I have managed - that they are living in a dreamworld.

One of the joys of living in this country rather than Belarus is that criticising politicians is not actually dangerous - unless you have a political career to consider.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 23 Oct 2011 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

G-Man wrote:Here's Space Makers website, if either of you (Dorian and Mosy) want to contact them. I'm rushed off my feet at the moment so haven't got time to follow it up myself.
Thanks G-Man for the link. As I mentioned earlier, I would be happy to approach the owners of the property and help out with the project with the caveat " if there was enough interest". There clearly is not from posters on this forum or in fact the Sydenham Society, Ward Councilors or L.B. of Lewisham. Thats in its self tells a story; But thanks.
poppy

Post by poppy »

The whole pocket park idea is crazy.

Sydenham has so much green space already, Mayow, Wells and Home parks and Alexandra Rec. They will just become an attractive spot for street drinkers.

Has no one any common sense or vision? People draw up plans and just push them through, it is not democratic, despite the facade of the Sydenham Assembly!

A plan to attract desirable, sustainable businesses (with guidance packs, actually enforcing rules, better marketing), a make-over for the Narborhood Centre, some safer/better crossings and lots of trees, would be such a great start.

Instead we have these policy makers and other influential people in Sydenham obsessing over Station Approach - so, so frustrating!
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

[/quote]Thanks G-Man for the link. As I mentioned earlier, I would be happy to approach the owners of the property and help out with the project with the caveat " if there was enough interest". There clearly is not from posters on this forum or in fact the Sydenham Society, Ward Councilors or L.B. of Lewisham. Thats in its self tells a story; But thanks.[/quote]

I reckon just go for it, actions speak louder than words!! I think there is interest, some people just don't know what to post - look how many times this thread has been looked at - well over 4000!!!

Keep us posted... :)

G-man