Social Housing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
gerispringer

Social Housing

Post by gerispringer »

all the talk of new social housing at the Greyhound and the massive complex down at Sainsburys has got me wondering - are there going to be any more school places, GPs etc to support all these people? You can't get a GP appointment here or primary school place - is it time to move out?
Eagle

Re: Social Housing

Post by Eagle »

I have pointed this out on both occasions.

Also you forgot to mention where are the jobs locally. It is stupid putting houses where there are NO jobs.

Now many more vehicles on our roads.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:
Also you forgot to mention where are the jobs locally. It is stupid putting houses where there are NO jobs.
Yes, because everyone in London works where they live. Makes me wonder where all those people at the train station are going every morning. :roll:
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Okay - for starters why are we talking about social housing here? As far as I'm aware (and it would be very unusual if this were not the case) these are mixed developments, and I expect the majority of the homes will be private sales.

I don't know so much about the Bell Green development , but if this:

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/ACOLLATEDOCS/50824_5.pdf

..is the final planning agreement for the Greyhound site, it specifies 35% of the homes will be social housing - the rest will be private sales. I expect there will be a lot taken by first time buyers, commuting into London - with such easy access to the City and Docklands, they'll be ideal for young professionals. Some of the social housing will probably be shared ownership (which again tends to attract the young professional crowd) and some will go to people on housing waiting lists.

You'll notice this planning agreement also includes the developer making a payment to the council for healthcare facilities (recognising the fact that yes, there'll be a little bit of extra demand on the local GP). I don't imagine many of these homes are going to be taken by people with kids, so demand on schools won't be high.

The developer also has to make a contribution towards local parks and open spaces, and the developer has to restore the Greyhound and surrounding public space.

These people will probably use local shops and help to sustain local businesses. We get a historic building restored to some of its former glory and some life injected into a central part of Sydenham.

Honestly, stop grumbling.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Weeble wrote:Okay - for starters why are we talking about social housing here? As far as I'm aware (and it would be very unusual if this were not the case) these are mixed developments, and I expect the majority of the homes will be private sales.
Not according to the owners web site
Hexagon acquires historical site
Hexagon has recently acquired The Greyhound Pub site on Kirkdale in Sydenham, SE26. The Greyhound Pub is a well known local historic landmark and, as part of the development of the site, this building will be refurbished to provide a new restaurant.

In addition to the new restaurant, the new development will proivde office and retail space, a public piazza and 40 one, two and three-bedroomed flats for social rent.

We will be working with building contractors, Purelake New Homes. Work on the site has already begun and the development is due to complete in September 2012.

SOCIAL RENT None for private sale.

The document you link to is a statement in support of the planning application , not a planning agreement and merely offers to provide what the councils policy requires, this does not mean that that requiremnt can not be exceeded.
Weeble wrote:These people will probably use local shops and help to sustain local businesses. We get a historic building restored to some of its former glory and some life injected into a central part of Sydenham.
Lets hope so :roll:
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Sorry - am happy to stand corrected, I didn't realise Hexagon had taken on the entire site.

Obviously that changes the picture of the type of residents somewhat, but I'm very happy that'll we'll have 40 new social homes in the area - there's about 18,000 on the waiting list for housing in Lewisham, so 40 homes is but a drop in the ocean, but every new home helps...
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Whilst agreeing that Affordable Housing in London should be welcomed I do not think that 40 Social rented flats in one location is a good idea. Its recognised that this creates " Ghettos" and that a mix of tenure types as you advocated such as shared ownership should also be available.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree.
Hopefully these flats reserved for families with at least one earner and not the benefit classes.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Eagle wrote:Hopefully these flats reserved for families with at least one earner and not the benefit classes.
and the chances of that, Eagle, are.................................................................?
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

Dorian wrote:
Eagle wrote:Hopefully these flats reserved for families with at least one earner and not the benefit classes.
and the chances of that, Eagle, are.................................................................?
Probably better than Eagle loosing his status as STF's leading bigot.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is remotely bigotted in my comments. Is free speech is not allowed anymore in The United Kingdom.

Surely hoping flats , that we are subsidising ,go to people who are trying to help themselves rather than those who want a free ride , should not be in the least controversial.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I've read a lot of your free speech over the years Eagle and I have to say I find your constant sneering and sniping at immigrants, local youth, "the benefit classes", single mums, fat people and the like highly intolerant.

Then of course we have your favour for corporal punishment, Victorian prisons, the death penalty, the introduction of stocks, and your sliding scale of the value of human life. All of which I find highly aggressive and hostile.

I remember bigbadwolf once saying something along the lines of how he wished you were a character he had made up. Makes you think, no?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No wonder Britain in such a mess with attitudes like yourself.

Anyway God be with you.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

LOL! BBW would be proud.
sfhyouthforum

Post by sfhyouthforum »

Eagle, have you become a mentor yet?
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

Possibly time for this conversation to be continued in the Pub ?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

I live in social housing and I'd like to share some of the problems I have encountered.

Dope smoking teenagers and drug dealers

People arrested for fire arms offences

Loud really annoying gangsta rap blasting out all hours

People who choose to shout their business out from their open windows with their bellowing voices

Vandals smashing the plater board walls because so called social housing is built to such a poor standard they use some of the worst building materials available to save on costs. Shoddy workmanship carried out by third rate eastern European cowboy bodgers.

Wooden floors upstairs populated by an ugly fat troll the size of a rhino, the intellect of a boiled potato and the charm of Vicki Pollard.

A few of the people who live in my block work but most are sponging parasitic low life un employable scum.

Other than that it's a great place to live, built in 2006 demolished by 2015 hopefully

The place is a breeding ground for all kinds of failures, career criminals and benefits claimants and I imagine most of the rotten peoples stinking bastard kids will be in prison as soon as they are old enough.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What can I say . Amazing Post.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:What can I say . Amazing Post.
It's all true, I'd like to have a nicer story to tell but sadly Eagle I don't.

It's tragic, no really it is.

My most fatal mistake outside of all the stupidity is that I never saw the urgency to invest in property when the market was in a sensible condition. I've been severely priced out of the market now and I am forced to live with societies under achieving and hapless underclass.

I feel a loathing towards many of them now because as a rule they are a waste of my taxes.

No excuses for them, it's time they gave something back.

The problem for me is that I'm trapped for the foreseeable with no escape.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do symphasise very much. Must be terrible.

Trouble is everyone only worries about the rights of the criminals and not the victims.