History of Home Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sarahc

History of Home Park

Post by sarahc »

Here's one for you history buffs out there......

As a child, I played pretty much daily in Home Park and just behind library (in the park) used to stand an old house. We, as kids used to think it was haunted and 'dare' each other to go near it. It used to be fenced off, so we never actually got to go in (thank God). Someone told me (not sure who - Mum and Dad? one of the local kids?) that it used to be owned by an old lady and Home Park used to be her garden and when she died she left her garden for all the kids in Sydenham to play in - hence it being called 'Home Park'.

Now, this could be alot of old tosh or be indeed true. Does anyone know?
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

this could be alot of old tosh or be indeed true
I'm afraid there’s not much truth in it. Home Park Lodge, a very large house on Sydenham Road very close to where the library is, and its gardens was acquired by the local authority of the time in 1899. The last recorded occupant of the house (in 1896) was an elderly widower, Frederick Ashby. In 1901 the authority demolished the house to make way for the library, and laid out the grounds as Home Park, which was opened in 1901.

Maps show that there was a building, that seems to have survived until the late 1960s at least, in the park behind the Catholic church and I imagine this is what you remember. It was on the Home Park Lodge estate and appears to have been an outbuilding of some sort. Not as nice as the story you were told, but perhaps a bit nearer to the truth.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for letting me know about the old house in Home Park. God knows where the story about the old lady came from then!

Sarah :oops:
Richardson1972

Re: History of Home Park

Post by Richardson1972 »

Hi Sarah just to let you know you was right about an old house it was to the left hand side of the entrance to the library. I was born at Byron close back in the 70’s and I was always fascinated by that old house, it was knocked down in the 80’s. I know people are talking about that old grand house that was demolished like 100 years ago but that was in a different spot and there most certainly was a smaller house to the left of the library as if you was facing the main entrance. Just behind the play park and to the side of the children’s section of the library. It was very spooky like you remember and I remember it clearly to this day. It was just on reminiscing about that old house that I came across your post on google. Many years ago now that you wrote it but I just wanted to let you know you was in fact correct. Best regards :) B Richardson
JRW

Re: History of Home Park

Post by JRW »

Hi,
I believe that there was a Park keepers House on that plot. I'd love to see a photo if anyone has one; it was gone by 1990, when i moved to Sydenham.