Bell Green Retail Park

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
caseyref

Bell Green Retail Park

Post by caseyref »

I know most of you are aware that Homebase is opening in the Bell Green Phase 2 development but I have come across a confirmed tenant list and scheme overview for Phase 3 from DTZ (Commercial estate agents)

To quote their site:

Unit 1 : Toys R Us, 20,000 sq ft
Unit 2 : Pets at Home, 10,000 sq ft
Unit 3: Next Home, 10,000 sq ft
Unit 4: Currys, 35,000 sq ft
Unit 5: B&Q, 45,000 sq ft
Unit 6: McDonald's, 3,456 sq ft
Unit 7-14, TO LET, 79,061 sq ft

Although it is good that development and investment is going on in Sydenham seeing that 7 units still left to fill with limited space in the Bell Green area I feel that it could bring the Lower Sydenham area to a halt if the traffic significantly increases as we all know that many people travel to 'out of town' shopping parks.

Does anyone know if there will be improvements to the road network around the area in terms of re-phasing of traffic lights or calming measures as crossing the road by Savacentre is not the nicest of experiences with speeding cars all around.

I really back the calls for more investment for the high street and a more prominent traders association to keep some trade in the high street as this could affect a few businesses such as the DIY/Pound shops, Whites pet shop and more.

(The link to the DTZ Website: http://dtz.completelyretail.co.uk/index ... me&id=6273)
Eagle

Re: Bell Green Retail Park

Post by Eagle »

It will be a nightmare if it ever happens. It will destroy what is left of any decent shops in the High Street.

To encourage people not to use cars this is the worst thing they could do.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Well spotted, Caseyref.

It's not great for Sydenham Road, but I'm not sure how much worse than we already see. White's Pet Centre is probably the most vulnerable, but it may be that not being a customer there, I'm not aware of customer service which will keep them profitable. In contrast, as a customer of Sydenham DIY, I think that their customer service means that B&Q will not be too much of a threat - still not good.

For the rest, we'll be largely getting retail space for people who get in their cars to go shopping already, so generally not so bad for the area vs. how it is now. I'm not sure that it'll make much difference to people deciding to use cars - the recession and high oil / petrol prices are surely going to limit that, although it will obviously displace traffic towards Bell Green.

I just looked up various planning permissions granted on this, and could not find anything on traffic more recent than the original decision from 2003 where it was stated
Non-Technical Summary Ch. 9 wrote:The anticipated changes in traffic conditions resulting from the development are confirmed as being modest and the consequent environmental implications as either minor or of no significance
This seemed unlikely at the time, but it means there is no way that Lewisham will do anything pro-actively to address anticipated problems.

I don't think there's much chance of a "more prominent traders association". Such an association would take time and energy, which are in short supply for now often marginal businesses. For it to succeed, it would have to have a good working relation with the Council and the local community. This might be possible, but not on terms which would appeal to traders. Traders will want business rates reliefs and other forms of financial support, but these will not be forthcoming given the required Council cuts. Instead they get a group such as the Sydenham Town Centre Steering group, which is dominated by non-traders, insisting on points of detail such as those arising from local conservation areas - e.g. the Kenté and Woodman's cases.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I did see mention somewhere on the forum some time ago about plans to improve the Bell Green gyratory system. I think it came up when we were bemoaning the disruption caused by the simultaneous gas and water mains replacements in lower Sydenham.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
sophie

Post by sophie »

It seems a bit weird having a Homebase AND a B&Q. To be honest I thought the plans had been shelved when all the flats started going up. Most disappointed there will be a McDonalds.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Main problem os the railway Bridge. Enlarging the road here would cost millions and disrupt an important railway line.

Strange most of the affluent are in upper sydenham and would probably need to come by car.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I don't think there's a Homebase in this development. That was the plan about ten years ago on the site where the new flats are being built. The sign stayed up for Homebase long after that developer went bust.

Is the new development on the land behind the gasometers?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Homebase pulled out ages ago as far as I'm aware. Hopefully the new units will bring in extra jobs. Whatever happens, I don't think we can stop the development and I'm not even sure it will be an issue to the high street.

It's up to traders in the high street to compete, but rather than complain about this, how about using the forum to generate ideas to see how we can turn this from a potential threat to an opportunity. What can traders to to compete, how can use use this to generate more footfall on the high street in Sydenham? How can we use this to raise the profile of Sydenham as a great place to shop?
angela53

Post by angela53 »

I totally agree with leenewham
Guachina

Post by Guachina »

I also agree with leenewham that the traders in the high street need to compete, but actually our high street has nothing to worry about as we only have chicken betting and pound shops and I don't see any of those in the list for the new development.
I am very happy to get this development!
Regarding the traffic, having this retail park in Sydenham could encourage other good business to move into the high street and people could park their cars there and go to the high street and people that already live in Sydenham maybe will not see the need to get the car and use the buses to get down there.

michael

Post by michael »

A lot of units in retail parks like this are being taken over by churches as they provide large spaces and easy parking for large numbers of congregants. Given the proposals for converting a cinema in Crystal Palace, I'm sure this would make much more sense (although planning permission has not been obtained for such use).
I know large places of worship are not always popular, but it would reduce any negative impact to the town centre.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Guachina
As Capt M said I think you are in fantasy land if you think peopke are going to park in the new retail park and bus or walk to the delights of the High Street.
I would imagine anyway by the time it is ready to open the government would have introduced pands to tax all car parking spaces at such devolpments meaning they would have to charge
davegr

Post by davegr »

sophie wrote: Most disappointed there will be a McDonalds.

I'm definitely with you there Sophie. It's disappearance from The Triangle a few years gave me a bit of hope for the area.

Sydenham needs to move upmarket not downmarket.