Show yourself?!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Greg Whitehead

Show yourself?!

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Tenuously linked to the previous thread by Steve entitled 'who are you' here my 'show yourself'...

Everytime I log in I see at least 5 or so Guests. Now it's clearly your right to just view the posts and not offer comment but just read at your leisure.

Why not join though? As a rough guess you live in Sydenham, else why be here at all? You're interested in hearing about what's going on and how you can help/improve the area you live in?

So why not register and start offering your views? They needn't be in accordance with the status quo that's offered from time to time (after if you want to make an omelette you have to crack some eggs... :roll: )

As long as they're not racist/xenophobic/homophobic (we'll leave that to the great unwashed from HOP and Brockley...sorry, I just can't help myself) I say, the more the merrier !

Come on, you know you want to... :wink: (join that is)
kster

Post by kster »

I'd be intersested to know if the Guests are really Guests? I for one will generally appear as a Guest as my "automatic log in thingy" just doesn't work. I'm only logged when I post. Does anyone else have the same problem or is it just me?
leaf

Post by leaf »

kster
i have that same log in problem.
randomv

Post by randomv »

snap!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

same. I don't click the automatic loggin thing anyway.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

62 views, 4 registered users replies - the posts are getting viewed by enough Guests. Just look at my Middle Class Pub thread and how many views of that...there's enough people coming onto the forum

The login thing is a nightmare though.
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

I only log in when I want to post something, so most of the time I just show up as a 'Guest'. As for the number of views, I think I probably account for 2 if I post something: the first when I read a thread, then when I log in it takes me back to the main page so I have to open the thread again, and I think that's counted as a separate view. So some of the views are actually the same people accessing a thread more than once.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Only 10% of visitors actually register and 25% of registered users have never posted!

The viewing/posting ratio is usually betwee 1 & 5%. There was one Forum not a thousand miles from here that had a very high ratio. A bit of investigation showed it was dominated by the administrator replying to himself under a number of pseudonyms.

This is something I try not to do :shock:

Admin
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Blushingsnail wrote:I only log in when I want to post something, so most of the time I just show up as a 'Guest'. As for the number of views, I think I probably account for 2 if I post something: the first when I read a thread, then when I log in it takes me back to the main page so I have to open the thread again, and I think that's counted as a separate view. So some of the views are actually the same people accessing a thread more than once.

Agreed but when you have some of the threads clocking up over 15,000 views, and quite a few of them on the several hundred mark it doesn't reconcile with the '2 views to post' argument.

For that reason it's safe to deduce that there are lot 'campers' who view posts and never put forward their views. Which is of course their perogative but does seem a shame and frankly, quite pointless.