New to Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Joes

New to Sydenham

Post by Joes »

I have just brought a flat on Lawrie Park and am new to the area and have a few questions.
Is Sydenham a safe, nice place to live? It seems a lovely area, green, calm etc but having lived in other more bustling parts of London I find it a lot quieter/sedate in comparison. I also notice on the forum there have been a few muggings and knife attacks in the area recently. Do you feel crime is on the up here, do you feel unsafe during the evening when on the way home from the station? I ask I want to feel my wife is safe when returning home late as it seems very dead around the High St after a certain point in the evening.

Aside from the this do you think the area as a whole is improving, whilst a lovely area the High St seems like it needs a lot of work. There seems a shortage of nice pubs/cafes etc in comparison to neighbouring areas such as CP and ED. Without wanting it to become too gentrified it does need a bit of a makeover I feel.

I also noticed the development at The Greyhound but having read up on it it seems the flats are for social housing and that the pub now isn't going to open, which doesn't sound promising. Is this correct?

From all of you short term and long term residents it would be great to have your feedback on what it's like living in Sydenham, thanks!
simon

Re: New to Sydenham

Post by simon »

Welcome to Sydenham Joes.

To answer some of your questions:

I have never felt unsafe in Sydenham and I don’t think crime is on the up. That said, others may feel differently.

A regeneration of the High Street is due to commence shortly, after many delays. However, a major problem is attracting the type of businesses you mention. There are lots of threads on here discussing the issues; have a look around.

The latest from the Greyhound is that Antic, the pub operator, is due to start work soon. The company has an ambitious expansion strategy opening lots of new pubs but it is running behind schedule. A new pub of theirs is due to open in Forest Hill this month.

I have lived in Sydenham for about 17 years now and the longer I am here the more I like it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

To paraphrase ... I liked the town so much i bought it a forum!

Seriously I have lived here 27 years. Crime IME has dropped over the years and I feel as safe walking the streets at night as most places in London (and a lot safer than some). Its slightly run down exterior keeps out the fashionistas (and accompanying silly prices) and hides what is one of the most diverse neighbourhoods around. One were almost anybody can find friends and interesting things to do - alternatively moan about not doing them on STF.

Anyway welcome and hope you enjoy SE26.

Admin
Joes

Post by Joes »

Thanks for your feedback, it's always good to have the views of people who know the area inside out. Having done some research I can see Lewisham council are going to regenerate the High St later this year which should hopefully improve things and attract more business.

It does seem a nice enough area, on paper it has the best of both worlds, green and calm but not too far from the hustle and bustle of the city. Think my concerns come from not truly knowing the area much and judging it on first impressions, being used to living in a really lively area currently it seems very sedate in comparison which is probably what makes me nervous! But like anything I'm sure when you settle in and get to know it this passes.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Where do you currently live?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I am another person who's very happy to live in Sydenham. Not quite sure how to judge one's personal safety when out and about but I've never had any problems. Whilst people do post when they have been a victim of crime, for fairly obvious reasons, people don't post when they haven't been a victim!

Whilst the High St is a bit shabby there are some real gems well worth going to - Sugahill, Kente & Blue Mountain offer good coffee, Kirkdale bookshop offers new and used books, there's food and drink at the Dolphin pub and there is Billings butchers and fishmongers.

Public transport is also good - with speedy links to both the city and Canary Wharf from Sydenham, whilst Sydenham Hill (Z3) and Penge East (Z4) offer services to Victoria and a small number of trains to St Pancras.

Overall the area is still good value, and seems to be slowly on the up, but with a fair amount of shabby bits it will never be Chelsea. What I also like is the sheer amount of greenery, with parks and the woods in upper Sydenham, with great views over both the city and Kent.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I should add that living in Lawrie Park you have the 176 bus literally on your doorstep. Its 24/7 service to central London means no need for expensive late taxis home after the last train and I feel safe on it in the early hours. Alternatively if the choice of the two excellent and fast rail services are too expensive than the 176 in the daytime is a much cheaper option even allowing you to get through a novel a week ...

As a newbie to STF - feel free to discuss anything here - except re-routing the 176 - a bannable offence :wink:

Admin (living just off LPR)
maestro

Post by maestro »

admin wrote:I should add that living in Lawrie Park you have the 176 bus literally on your doorstep
So some other useful tips - never have expensive pots or planters adorning your step and exercise extreme caution when exiting your door. :roll:

Apologies for duplicate posts, working with an extremely slow broadband dongle in the depths of Cumbria and I can't get them deleted!

--------------
There deleted them for you: Admin
Last edited by maestro on 20 Jan 2012 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Joes

Post by Joes »

I'll keep look out for my toes as the 176 comes rushing past when leaving home.
Still it'll be handy enough when late for work, if it wasn't for the fact it takes about an hour to get into town from here :D
dickp

Post by dickp »

Ah..the 176. Many a time ive been kicked off that bus late at night at the dulwich plough because the route has been cut short. Its ok. But dont always expect it to get you home in one go late at night. In fact, be pleasantely surprised if it does.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Aaaaargh - but don't forget to demand a transfer ticket (free) to catch the 197 behind. A more frightening risk is falling asleep and being woken in deepest Penge {shudder}

Admin
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Joes wrote:I have just brought a flat on Lawrie Park and am new to the area and have a few questions.
Is Sydenham a safe, nice place to live? It seems a lovely area, green, calm etc but having lived in other more bustling parts of London I find it a lot quieter/sedate in comparison. I also notice on the forum there have been a few muggings and knife attacks in the area recently. Do you feel crime is on the up here, do you feel unsafe during the evening when on the way home from the station? I ask I want to feel my wife is safe when returning home late as it seems very dead around the High St after a certain point in the evening.

Aside from the this do you think the area as a whole is improving, whilst a lovely area the High St seems like it needs a lot of work. There seems a shortage of nice pubs/cafes etc in comparison to neighbouring areas such as CP and ED. Without wanting it to become too gentrified it does need a bit of a makeover I feel.

I also noticed the development at The Greyhound but having read up on it it seems the flats are for social housing and that the pub now isn't going to open, which doesn't sound promising. Is this correct?

From all of you short term and long term residents it would be great to have your feedback on what it's like living in Sydenham, thanks!
WG Grace and Rolf Harris both lived in Lawrie Park Road. I've lived here for over 7 years and hardly seen any bother. Sure there some kids that hang around with their mates but they are cool when push comes to shove. One group helped a lady when she crashed her car locally. Crime on Sydenham Hill Estate is mainly domestic problems.

Try to use the Sydenham Hill woods as the wildlife is amazing from owls and bats to various rodents. Various events are posted on the noticeboard by the Crescent Wood Road entrance.
AdamN

Post by AdamN »

WG Grace and Rolf Harris both lived in Lawrie Park Road.

Not to mention Kelly Brooke, Jason Statham & Billy Zane all lived in Bolney Court. (not all at the same time mind). Ernest Shackleton just round the corner on Westwood Hill by the church.

By the way Joe, I live next door to Simon, and I think across the way from you. I've lived here since 1986 and have never felt intimidated (Except by Pat at No. 1 on occasions!). It's a great place to live, as Simon says. The place has been on the up, albeit a little slower than promised, but it's getting there. In the meantime there is Crystal Palace and Lordship Lane and also The Bridge Inn at the Penge end of Lawrie Park Road.

Welcome to Sydenham

Adam & Lisa
Joes

Post by Joes »

Well if it was good enough for Rolf Harris it'll do for me! :D
Thanks so much for all your feedback and tips, it's really much appreciated and makes me feel like I'm moving to a really good community.
simon

Post by simon »

You're welcome Joes but please continue to contribute to the forum after you arrive. It will be interesting to hear how your perceptions of the place develop over time.
Also, someone asked above where you were moving from? Could be useful for comparative purposes.
Welcome to Sydenham.
Joes

Post by Joes »

I am moving from not too far away, just off Peckham Rye common. So have been used to the benefits of East Dulwich on my doorstep.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AdamN wrote:WG Grace and Rolf Harris both lived in Lawrie Park Road.
Nearly ... Rolf and his mother lived in two adjoing houses around the corner in Border Road (the Lewisham side).

Admin
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

Everybody (well everyone who moved in in the last couple of years) came here from E Dulwich.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Many come from west London too....with two-bed flats starting at 400,000 in some parts you would be crazy not to consider Sydenham. Less traffic and great transport...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

And great views across London - at least from Crystal Palace and the Horniman. I recently had a couple of teenagers visiting from Rome, for whom looking north with binoculars from here was a highlight, picking out such icons as the Battersea Power Station. Somehow I'd not realised that Pink Floyd would still have Euro street cred.

The ruins of Crystal Palace chimed for me with those of Rome, monuments to decayed empires. But still, it seems, London is where these teenagers would like to live - so good news for landords and property owners, less good for our own young and marginalised ...