Proposed charge for Girton Rd CP and Controlled Parking Zone

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
nasaroc

Proposed charge for Girton Rd CP and Controlled Parking Zone

Post by nasaroc »

At the Lewisham Council Mayor and Cabinet meeting on Wednesday evening, measures were proposed which will have profound implications for parking around Sydenham Road and the adjoining streets.

1. Introducing charges for using the Girton Road Car Park
Currently this is free thanks to a £16,000 annual part subsidy from Safeway. Now that this has ended (with the sale of Safeway) proposed charges will be introduced as follows:

Up to 30min free
from 30mins to 1 hour 50p
from 1 hour to 2 hours £1
from 2 to 3 hours £2
from 3 to 6 hours (max stay £5)

2. Referendum on Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ)
Before parking charges are introduced at Girton Rd, residents in the roads adjoining Sydenham Road will have a vote on whether they wish to have a CPZ in the area. On the voting papers, residents will be informed that charges for Girton Road are to be introduced - the implication being that once it costs money to use the car park, many more drivers will try to park on nearby streets instead and people should take this into account when voting. Lewisham Council will not attempt to impose a CPZ should a majority of residents vote against this issue but the proposal to introduce parking charges for the Girton Road CP will go ahead whatever the result of the vote.

Local traders, the Sydenham Society and other bodies will be consulted on these proposals and the Head of Highways and local councillors aim to have a meeting with Lidl and Somerfield (the new owner of the Safeway store) to see if they will come up with some money to keep the car park free.

What do you think of the proposal to introduce charges at Girton Road - will it make less people shop in the High St? What can be done about this proposal?

And what about a CPZ in Sydenham? Good idea or bad idea?

P.S. A CPZ is where streets are marked out into parking bays and only holders of parking permits (local residents who pay an annual fee of £20-£30) can park there.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

What is the matter with Lewisham's Highways Department that it has to create another mess before clearing up the first? Is this a ploy to distract from the failed current Cobbs scheme?

After 1 year of roadworks they have achieved nothing except chaos for locals. According to this forum we can expect another onslaught of roadworks between January and April while Morrisons return to Sydenham Road for more gasworks (judging by the traffic queues in Kirkdale they have'nt even gone away) and Lewisham want to resurface the road (presumably after they have sorted out the zebra?).

I would have thought that everyone needs to draw breath before having to consider the effect of charges for parking at Girton Road and whether residents want a CPZ and what effect this could have on our long suffering traders.

The way the Council is acting is negative and the only result of hasty decisions will mean that Sydenham Road is avoided (as it was for a good part of last year) and everyone will head off to Bell Green to the 1000+ FREE car parking spaces which Lewisham have given to Sainsburys.
Lesley

Post by Lesley »

Perhaps Somerfield can be persuaded to pay the (necessary?) subsidy in conjunction with Lidl. I think that this proposal to charge for and restrict parking, if adopted, will further deter people from shopping in Sydenham High Street. As Muddy Waters points out parking is free at what was formerly the Savacentre at Bell Green, which is their major competitor.

Though I have found that I am shopping less and less in the High Street and the Sainsbury's store as the traffic and road works of the summer/autumn have made me avoid this area entirely unless I really have to go there. I head instead to Crystal Palace (free parking) -tho I do continue to use the Kirkdale Bookshop in preference to other options- and the Turkish food shop opposite as it is convenient on the way back from Sydenham train station at night. Come on Council officers and councillors -get your thinking caps on!
Lesley
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

In the 1980's the Council twice tried to charge for parking at Girton Road car park. In the first instance over a petition with over 5000 signatures was presented to the Mayor and the threat was withdrawn.

On the second occasion a charge was introduced but Safeways paid the parking fee for the first hour of the charges, providing the customer had paid a bill of at least £2!

On the second occasion however car customers mostly voted by parking their cars in adjacent roads (there were fewer cars in those days but it did cause annoyance to local residents) or by leaving Sydenham and shopping elsewhere. Safeways eventually offered to pay the annual cost of car parking and Sydenham once again had a free car park.

Nowadays big commercial retailers - not least the food retail giants - appreciate the value of a generous free car park to their business. If a charge is introduced at Girton Road it is logical that customers will desert in droves to the free car parking available at Bell Green, Penge, Dog Kennel Hill and Beckenham all of which are within extremely easy drive distance of Sydenham.

Now that Safeways has gone and Somerfields has come into the frame, it is essential that the Council takes a positive attitude in welcoming the new business into Sydenham and negotiates with Somerfields and Lidls to defray the cost.

It would be most interesting to learn what intentions readers and subscribers to this forum will do faced with a car parking charge at Girton Road?
SarahD

Post by SarahD »

I am extremely disappointed to find that Lewisham Council is even vaguely considering charging people to park in Girton Road car park. As a previous resident of Dukesthorpe Road I know how difficult is to park in any of the 'Thorpes' or the roads on the other side of the High Street. When I return to the area (having lived there for over 16 years but recently moved away) I always park in the Girton Road car park so as not to inconvenience current residents.

The roads around the High Road are very badly maintained and there seem to be no traffic wardens who are willing to report cars that have no tax discs. Why should law-abiding people be charged extra to park considerately when people with no tax or insurance seem free to park wherever they like? If Lewisham Council were to fine all the people driving untaxed cars I'm sure they'd make up the £16,000 in no time.
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Re Girton Rd Car Park - this begs the question how much will it cost the council to implement these charges - barriers, machinery, cash collection, maintenance against vandalism, removal of old signage and provision of new etc etc? set against the cost to local business is this justifiable?

Surely Lewisham Highways, which has had this latest idea, should provide costings to local council and business rate tax payers to justify this imposition?

Also does Lewisham Council dislike Sydenham so much that it is not going to install Christmas lights this year? Maybe we should be grateful - they are not exactly anything to write home about
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

My view on the introduction of charges at Girton road and CPZs very much mirrors what other contributors have been saying - Lewisham council aren't interested in the well-being of this area and CPZs aren't about greater convenience for local residents - this is all about cash and Lewisham as a council heading towards a £2m plus overspend are desperate to get their hands on more of our money.

Think about it - there are probably over 3,000 car parking spaces planned under this proposed CPZ scheme. Each householder is charged £25 for an annual permit. 3,000 x £25 = £75,000. Then there's the money from Girton road Car Park charges and the charges for the pay and display machines, and the fines that can be charged for illlegal parking. It all adds up to well over £100,000 extra cash that can be milked from Sydenham by the council.

Menwhile, tons of council money is spent at the other end of the borough. Just one example - Deptford Road station is being completely rebuilt - even though less than 100 people travel from the station into London each morning during the rush hour. Good luck for Deptford - but what are the council doing for this part of the borough apart from putting up schemes to milk it dry?
Molly Wickert

Girton Road carpark charges

Post by Molly Wickert »

I absolutely disagree with the proposal to impose charges for the Girton Road carpark. (What might be worth considering is some method of preventing commuters from parking there all day. It is becoming harder and harder to find a space there if you just want to go shopping.)
One of the things I have always boasted to other people I know, who live elsewhere, is that we in Sydenham can park for free in our own small town centre. Is that to be taken away now too?
If a residents parking zone is also imposed around the neighbouring streets, surely there should be no charge to those residents?
After all the chaos of the least year with the roundabout, the gas roadworks and the crossing, it all just seems like the last straw. Why any of the local traders would feel it worth staying in Sydenham if the charges are introduced is beyond me. Does Lewisham council really want Sydenham to become a ghost town?
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Time to bump this subject up the list - I have a feeling we will be hearing about this again pretty soon!

Admin: I have split this post. It continues here:
http://forum.sydenham.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=244