No Sydenham Music Festival this year

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

No Sydenham Music Festival this year

Post by Robin Orton »

'Friends of Sydenham Music' have just received a letter informing us that Lewisham Council have decided to cut the funding for the Sydenham Music Festival by 38% this year (for reasons that are not wholly clear to me from the information given in the letter); that Robert Trory has resigned as music director and as a trustee (someone called Ashok Charles has now been appointed 'chief executive'); and that the next Festival is now planned for 2013 rather than this year.

Let's hope this is only a temporary setback for this great local institution.
stuart

Re: No Sydenham Music Festival this year

Post by stuart »

Ashok Charles's Overview

Current

Director at MusicMaps
Head of Junior College at London College of Music
Director of Music at Bute House

Education

University of Cambridge
City of London School

(from LinkIn)

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

This is a terrible shame. The artists Robert was able to attract were outstanding.

I hope also it can return to St Barts
stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote:I hope also it can return to St Barts
What was the story behind that bust up?

Its a shame, the acoustics were quite good and as the place is supported by the taxpayer should it not morally be used a community asset as long as it doesn't interfere with religious services. Unless we are talking disestablishment ...

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

What was the story behind that bust up?
What Sydenham Music said at the time was that 'the main thrust of the church’s arguments seemed to revolve around their perception that the festival was "not adding to their congregation" and that the music was not seen as part of the "mission of the church"'. But , so far as I know, St Bart's have not publicised their side of the story.

I doubt whether St Bart's is 'supported by the taxpayer' except to the extent that it receives the standard tax reliefs available to all charities.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Robin,

St Barts was built by the taxpayer. It was a 'Napoleonic church' financed by the state to lure away people from revolution to religion. It has in recent years been financed by grants from English Heritage and supported by people like us who are not regular churchgoers precisely because it is an invaluable community asset.

Hence I find it difficult to accept that the small group that administers the church can neglect their responsibilities to the wider community. That's not what most Anglicans do. That's why I didn't buy the original story. I let it go then as keeping good music going in Sydenham is the issue. But as we have lost the event in 2012 and the future is uncertain I think we need to ask the question - is everybody pulling together on this or what is the real reason we are not?

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I personally doubt whether much will now be achieved in raking over the St Bart's embers, Stuart. The future of the Festival is, in my view, what we should now be concentrating on.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Precisely. Except a return to St Barts would be nice (as Tim agrees) unless there is some history in the way. That's all I was trying to bottom out.

SIMF needs all the support it can get if it is not to lose momentum.

Stuart
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Robin Orton wrote:Lewisham Council have decided to cut the funding for the Sydenham Music Festival by 38% this year
The accounts covering the 2011 are not yet available on the charity commission web site, but they are for the FY end April 2011

On this basis, a 38% cut would mean £6,080 less - a reduction of overall income of 13%, which would have been made up by an average 29% increase in ticket prices. I can see why Robin says the reasons are not entirely clear!
LivesNearby

No Sydenham International Music Festival this year

Post by LivesNearby »

NewsShopper is reporting the demise of the music festival
A SLASH in funding means a popular classical music festival which has been running for 13 years will not go ahead this summer.

Around £6,000 has been cut off the Sydenham International Festival’s grant from Lewisham Council – 38 per cent of its overall budget.

Each year, the four-week event runs from May to June at venues around the town including churches, pubs, care homes and social clubs. Even Sydenham Library has provided concerts.

Last year’s festival brought in well known musicians including opera singer Sir Willard White and former BBC young musician of the year Lara Melda.

The event’s long-standing director Robert Trory has now also stood down.

It is hoped the festival may return next year.
What a shame
poppy

Post by poppy »

Presumably they will be looking at other funding streams but have not been left with much time for this Spring/Summer's event. I am sure they will have booked people already too!

Maybe the Sydenham community fund could contribute next time applications are received or a donation given by the Sydenham Society, or more local business sponsorship.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Or next year. Just had a letter, as a 'Friend', saying the 2013 Festival will not after all go ahead. The decision 'proved necessary and unavoidable taking into consideration the uncertainties and problems surrounding the change of venue for the Festival, and also administrative and financial difficulties arising from the current economic climate.'

The Chief Executive, Ash Charles, has stood down. 'Friends' have been offered a refund of this year's subscription and 'future subscriptions will not at this stage be requested.'

'As a registered charity, Sydenham Music will continue to seek ways to pursue its objectives, and will also continue to promote its much appreciated outreach work.'

Very disappointing.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Very disappointing indeed.

Matched, I'm afraid, by a lack of transparency on the issues involved. It may be structual , egos or some combination - but SIMF was a great achievement and a great asset to Sydenham. A lot of people did a lot of hard work creating and supporting SM. I think they are owed more than a refund.

A little bit of Sydenham has been lost. Or is it possible to recreate in another way?

Stuart