Begging in Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
angela53

Begging in Sydenham Road

Post by angela53 »

Everytime I have been in the high street this week I have been approached by a man and woman asking for money for bus fares. They were there again this evening only there were three of them this time hanging round the cash machine opposite the station. They look about 30 years old and the woman has very long hair in a pony tail. They look as if on either drugs or alcohol, not good.
eggnut

Re: Begging in Sydenham Road

Post by eggnut »

Did the man mention "I'm not a crackhead"? I was approached by him on the high street Sunday evening.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I was approached by the shops in Kirkdale on three separate occasions yesterday by a bloke claiming he needed the cost of his fare back to somewhere in Essex, because 'the police don't give travel warrants any more.'

I don't suppose the story was genuine, but I felt guilty about just giving him the brush-off, which is what I did. Is there any agency nowadays to which one can refer people with this sort of hard luck story, just in case it is true?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

It's horrible being accosted by these sorts of people but you have to be cruel to be kind so by giving them money you are actually keeping them in their situation, easier said than done. I have taken time to speak to quite a few over the years and painfully they tell me their stories of being abused as children, coming from a children's home with absolutely no next of kin, their struggle with drink and drugs, one guy told me he was bullied at school and he couldn't cope with it so he run away from home at thirteen and had been on the streets for 18 years :( I once saw a guy dead in the street and people were just stepping over him until I called an ambulance, I think he'd been dead a while because he was covered in pigeon goo.

Some of these people are totally lost and broken, it's tragic really.
Willy

Post by Willy »

This isn't anything new, I was asked for money from the woman at least 2 weeks ago and previously have been asked for money by a guy who was watching his dog lay an egg in the alleyway outside the station. Isn't there a hostel up near the police station somewhere?
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Willy wrote: previously have been asked for money by a guy who was watching his dog lay an egg in the alleyway outside the station.
:lol:
elsie_em

Post by elsie_em »

Me and my husband were approached yesterday evening near Sydenham station at 7pm by what sounds like the same guy. He was quite aggressive and wouldn't take no for an answer (I do sometimes give money to people who ask, but not if they're frightening me). My husband was also approached by him earlier in the day.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

If it bothers you then you can let the SNT know at sydenham.snt@met.police.uk or on 020 8649 3598. Begging is a criminal offence, but whatsmore these people are probably already known and it is good to build up a picture if they are constantly being a nuisance.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I have given money to people asking for bus or train fare. Usually I give to women late at night, but I have given to men also ... and I've always felt like a mug afterwards.

They often ask for odd amounts "Can you spare 23p for my bus fare?" So - without taking my purse out of my bag (I'm not mug enough to do that) - I sometimes root around for the exact amount they're asking for. Inevitably they then stare at the 23p you've put in their hand as if it were poo.
elsie_em

Post by elsie_em »

That's useful advice bensonby, thanks.
Tazer

Post by Tazer »

Re: DogEggs
Clearly with all the improvements to the high street and the prospect of a new mosaic in Q3 2015 Sydenham is becoming a more lucrative prospect for saving on busfares.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

when asked if i have any spare change, I stare at the questioner and answer 'no' , in a firm manner. I keep staring until they walk away.

I am male and not a a slight build, so i feel more able to do this . without fear of further actions. Obviously not everyone feels able to do this, so I would go with whatever actions bensonby suggests.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

Hi,
I've given some shrapnel from my pockets to a chap recently (I was hungry and very focussed on food) but, have no problem telling them no, if I don't want to give.
Being firm and polite works best for me as, I don't know their circumstances and it 'could' be genuine need.

I saw the same chap again when pootling on to Tesco on Kirkdale and this time saw that he had the shifty, shuffling gait of a (I don't want to say crack-head) chap 'on some strong sheeeeeit'.

Reminded me of an episode of The Wire (hence the Clay Davis quote).
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

I was approached by a white woman with dark hair tied back (looked to be in her 30s) on Sydenham Rd just down from the station on Friday. She sounds like the same one. She did look like she'd had a hard life and I assumed she had drink and drug issues. I just said no and kept walking I'm afraid.
alywin

Post by alywin »

There was a woman at Penge East today trying to cadge a used Travelcard off passersby - very unhealthy-looking skin colour. No idea if it was related to what everyone else has reported. I was reminded of the campaign they have at Victoria and elsewhere to prevent people from passing on Travelcards they've finished with because they get re-sold and used to boost the drugs trade.
simon

Post by simon »

Myself, I'm not opposed to the recycling of travel cards. The other day I paid £10.60 so I could go to Tommys for a hospital appointment. I gave it to a girl waiting to buy a ticket at Sydehanham station when I had finsished with it. She was grateful, but should I have asked her questions about her lifesyle and drug use first?
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

simon wrote:Myself, I'm not opposed to the recycling of travel cards. The other day I paid £10.60 so I could go to Tommys for a hospital appointment. I gave it to a girl waiting to buy a ticket at Sydehanham station when I had finsished with it. She was grateful, but should I have asked her questions about her lifesyle and drug use first?
Be that as it may - trading "used" travelcards has been held in court to be a criminal offence. the relevant case law is R v Marshall, Coombes & Eren [1998]
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

rod taylor wrote:If it is my travel card it is up to me to give it to whoever I want.
I'm afraid not old boy....see my case law that I posted above....the travelcard remains the property of the railway company.
simon

Post by simon »

"Giving" is not "trading" bensoby. I would be happy to be prosecuted, have my day in court and argue that point. I will continue to give my travel card away when I no longer have any use for it.
stuart

Post by stuart »

If that means TfL lose revenue Simon, you are stealing money from the rest of us!
If they really deserve it, why not buy 'em a ticket?
Or pray I am not on your jury :wink:

Stuart