Parking Attendants

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

Parking Attendants

Post by ALIB »

I live in Dartmouth Road, and I have to get this issue off my chest. I will be writing to lewisham next week, but wondered if anyone else feels the same regarding the issues outlined below.

I wrote to Lewisham council recently, regarding congestion and illegal/dangerous parking on Dartmouth Road during 'School Run' times. The response I got stated that whilst the council were appreciative of my point of view, they did not have the man/womanpower to crack down and keep traffic moving during this critical period. (May I add at this point that I percieve traffic wardens primary role as keeping traffic moving and not giving out tickets unnecessarily.)

This morning at Sainsburys in Forest Hill there were 2 (two) traffic attendants patrolling Sainsburys carpark . looking for unticketed cars. - No doubt on 'time and a half' as it was a Saturday. I find this utterly bewildering that wardens and councils percieve their role as a revenue genrator, rather that public servents who act in the local residents best interests.

Sorry, this is my first post, and there are bound to be errors. I was just hoping to gauge the general feeling.
Ooooh, I am a bit angry. I hope i manage to sleep it off

AliB
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Just writing in support of AliB's point of view. Yes - safety and traffic flow should be the parking attendants primary focus of attention - not revenue generation and I think that they should be concentrating on those areas rather than supermarket car parks.

Sure, individual parents will feel persecuted, saying "I was only there for 10 minutes" or the like. But the accumulated effect of each of those individual cars is increasing the chances that children will be hurt or killed.

Far more children are injured and killed on the roads, especially outside schools, than are ever harmed by strangers.

Welcome to the forum AliB.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

many thanks for your support 'still_robbo'. I am just starting to find my voice, as far as sydenahm goes, but would appreciate as many opionions as possible. I think most residents would hold safety and enjoyment of the community in extremely high regard. Unfortunately, it seems to take a fatal accident to realise residents concerns, and make the council adopt action plans. Probably a few people have read this and think 'so what?'. I hope no-one's child suffers any injury before action is taken. I don't think this will be the case. :cry:
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well this and the 'Roadworks on Kirkdale' thread have something in common. If free school buses were provided and made compulsory (that or walking) then this wouldn't be a problem. Plus the children would be healthier.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Juwlz wrote:Well this and the 'Roadworks on Kirkdale' thread have something in common. If free school buses were provided and made compulsory (that or walking) then this wouldn't be a problem. Plus the children would be healthier.
I couldn't agree more Julwz. I find the amount of overweight children quite shocking, particularly teenage girls (no, let's called it what it is, fat children and teenage girls). Hardly surprising though given their diet and lack of excercise.

Phenotype = Genotype & Environment

In short, if they're going to veg in front of the T.V. and get driven to school, exacerbating the problem by filling their face with fast food then the end result is quite predictable but no less saddening.
leaf

Post by leaf »

i wonder how many of those cars are driven by mums who after dropping the children off at school have to whizz off to work?

i blame the denigration of the role of the stay at home mum,with more value being placed on the mum who works outside the home too,maybe if more mums felt able to be at home with their families,there would be more time for walking to school and good home cooking?

just a thought.
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
Hiya Leaf,
I couldn't agree with you more over the mothers role,
I would have loved to stay at home with my children as my mother did.
But unfortunately as soon as they hit school age i had to go back to work to be able to give them what they needed clothes/activities .
school trips/birthday parties uniform all cost a great deal and i couldn't afford to stay at home and i wouldn't have been entitled to any "state help" But i must say that although i had to go to work in a way i feel they did gain something, in a sense that they both have been in work since the day they finished their A levels and have never had to rely on anyone else to support them,so i suppose they learnt independence they have both travelled extensively and have a good outlook on life in general,and have learnt that if you want something in life you have to work hard to get it. :wink:
leaf

Post by leaf »

hiya annie :)

im not one of those who thinks that the children of working parents are doomed!
but it is a shame that stay at home mums are so undervalued,when their job is one of the most important ones.

lucky for me my mum was able to work from home until i was at secondary at least.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

leaf and Annie

I agree with both of you, and sympathise - I don't have any kids myself - though I haven't completely ruled out the idea of having them (assuming I'm not too old and wissened), but I would not be able to afford to give up working, especially since I'm self-employed- so until the government starts paying women (or men for that matter) to stay at home and look after them I probably won't have any.

I also think that kids have quite a horrible and restricted life these days - they don't get outdoors half enough and 'fun' has been abolished because its against health and safety. I think it would do kids a world of good to walk to school. At the moment its a catch 22 situation because people think its too dangerous partly because of all the cars yet its people taking their kids to school in cars that makes it like that.

At the same time why should working mum's have to drop their kids off to school at all?, unless they are very young kids of course, but even then surely the answer is to make sure every school has the 'walking buses' that I have seen occasionally, where the kids are picked up and all walk to school together. Or am I missing out on some obvious hole in this potential solution?