NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by Eagle »

Robbie

They may have plenty of cash , how much is on credit.

Perhaps they should be saving rather than wasting their money on cancer inducing tanning or
body molestation as in tattoo's.
Both may have to be put right by hard pressed NHS,.

Someone mentioned Weave. I know I am old but what on earth do they do. I would have thought that might be a good shop for The Hebrides or Shetlands. Can one purchase the completed product.

Mind you I assumed nail shops were DIY outlets.
Pally

Post by Pally »

The point of a High Street worth visiting is that it meets the needs of people living / shopping there in a way that looks pleasant enough to go to, not off putting. A tattoo shop can look fine even if I might not choose to go there. As can a cafe, an aquatics shop, a nail bar, a fish shop, a ....etc etc. Whatever the shop, dirty signs, dirty awnings, scruffy messy signage, little planning etc make for an unwelcoming high street that doesn't attract. I wouldn't go into a deli with a filthy awning, dirty signage and windows!!

I agree that some very concerning prejudices about different people - dare I say classes ( referring back to my previous comments on the Baroness Warsi thread) are being raised here. Variety of clentele who make different choices makes life interesting. East Dulwich is often referred to as upmarket ...go and look at the variety of shops around the "upmarket "ones....and the variety of clentele!!
missT

Post by missT »

Eagle wrote:Robbie

They may have plenty of cash , how much is on credit.

Perhaps they should be saving rather than wasting their money on cancer inducing tanning or
body molestation as in tattoo's.
Both may have to be put right by hard pressed NHS,.

Someone mentioned Weave. I know I am old but what on earth do they do. I would have thought that might be a good shop for The Hebrides or Shetlands. Can one purchase the completed product.

Mind you I assumed nail shops were DIY outlets.

Eagle,
Let me ask you: what do u do to make Sydenham better? As your judgmental views are awfully ugly!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It doesn't matter what the "type" of shop it is as long as it contributes to the Highstreet,
Any scruffy shop deters from the "experience" for the shopper, scruffy, unpainted,sloppy signage slows down footfall and is detrimental to the other businesses surrounding it.

As an aside, I was in The Moon &Stars on Monday, apart from getting "chatted up" by some drunken sexy voiced Irish man (rose tinted glasses) it struck me how tatty it all looks now, they took ages to clear tables, and they now appear to have condiments on the the tables rather than on the side where you picked which sachet you wanted.

Shame, one of my favourite pubs.
I hope they pick it up again, and improve things.
Pubs are important in areas.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie

I am surprised . I normally frequent the establishment twice a week. I know it is not The Ritz , but surely not as bad as you maintain.

Primarily I and friends frequent because of the great choice of real ales.

Oh dear. I appear to have upset the charming Fraulien T. This is a great pity as. do not like to upset anybody , so wish her all the best .

Politeness is next to Godliness .
daliftkid

Post by daliftkid »

@eagle you talk alot but what (other than type on this forum) do you actually do to promote or improve sydenham as an area?

I mean clearly you have a deep seated obsession with what everyone else does in your beloved area, but who are you?

Are you a business owner?

Are you friends with a business owner?

or are you just a resident?

Fact is this its extremely hard to open a business in a recession and have people like you who are clearly stuck .....no concreted in their ways, constantly come out and dig does not make it easy.

You talk about chicken shops and tattoo studios being the down fall of sydenham, I think you need to take a long walk around the area and start with wells park estate...i think that would be a good start for you, would you rather all shops be closed until a flourish of flowery artist and 'niche' shop owners selling fluffy cushions and heart shaped pieces of wood that they've whittled themselves.....get real.

We're entering a new age of entrepreneurs, people are starting their journeys in business and they're choosing to do it in sydenham there are "niche" shops problem is you're so wrapped up in being right you don't notice them, times are changing my friend nothing stays the same i think its time you started changing along with them, believe me i know how you feel i'm a brockley boy and loved how it used to be it had warmth and community and then the 'genteel' people came in and changed the ambiance of area its not nice when that happens is it
missT

Post by missT »

[quote="Eagle"]Annie

I am surprised . I normally frequent the establishment twice a week. I know it is not The Ritz , but surely not as bad as you maintain.

Oh dear. I appear to have upset the charming Fraulien T. This is a great pity as. do not like to upset anybody , so wish her all the best .

Politeness is next to Godliness .[/quo

Oh no eagle I find your opinion amusing in a sad way.
Shame that people like you are The down fall of Sydenham.
daliftkid

Post by daliftkid »

@eagle by the way there's nothing fraulien about Miss T because she's married to me
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

[quote="Eagle"]Annie

Politeness is next to Godliness .[/quote

Water off a ducks back Eagle :D

I hadn't been to Moon & Stars for a few months so maybe I just saw it as it is?
It was my "watering hole" when I lived in Sydenham once the Greyhound was half demolished.

@MissT the before and after of Sydenham over the last 20 years is quite marked, therefore to residents who have been here for a long time the change is pretty stark.
Although I am not that bothered by Tattoo shop or nail bar etc, when Chicken shops opened chicken bones and crap started to be chucked onto the pavement for example.
If every shop allows any rubbish outside their establishment then it does start to "bring down" an area regardless of the "tidy" shops. So, Eagles thoughts are not Ugly.
they are just his opinion and that of many others I suspect.
missT

Post by missT »

Yes we all have our opinions
Good day!
Last edited by missT on 14 Aug 2014 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Good day.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Eagle, perhaps like I find sometimes, despair sets in when trying to stem the flow of negativity only to find the reverse happens.

We could all argue until the cows come home about what makes a street vibrant - for sure it isn't boarded up shops. On "pet hate" shops: I think there's only one takeaway chicken shop (I'll stand corrected if more). The cheque cashing shop looks as if it's closed down. Why do you dislike nail bars and "tanning studios" which both offer a fair range of beauty treatments. What's wrong with wanting to look good ? Trust me, professionals definitely do a better job than DIY efforts, and hairdressers/barbers - again much better than the Missus putting a pudding basin on your head and cutting off the excess showing ;)

People complain about pound shops but we don't actually have any in the sense of stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap. We have DIY, hardware, kitchenware (one including soft furnishings) that have ongoing stock lines and I know that all four are prepared to order anything not stocked. One post on here even includes Subway - what the heck's wrong with Subway? Sandwiches with fresh salad made to order.

Hard to say what Sydenham Road doesn't have that you'd buy every week, which is what keeps shops alive - i.e. repeat custom.

On shabby (badly kept/managed), the worst one in my view - inside that is - isn't an independent.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mosy

My objection about tanning studies is a health issue. I am sure we get quite enough sun for our health in the UK.
Nail parlours. That is strange. I would have thought any able bodied person would be able to cut ones own nails with no problem.

Hair dressers fine. Do a good service...
mosy

Post by mosy »

Eagle, I don't think there are any exclusively tanning studios - as I said, they offer a range of services (the two I know of) and it's not like wot you have to get a tan. Isn't most tanning done by spray tan rather than UV? I don't know but I'd imagine so in which case your health concerns are misplaced. Anyone care to set me and Eagle straight on this?

As to nails, it's jolly difficult to paint one's nails (or even file them evenly) unless ambidextrous, let alone decorating them. As to repairing a broken or breaking nail, no contest, unless I want to set up an acrylic home nail bar, which I don't lol. You'd be surprised how many home appliances are not nail-friendly - even pushing down the loo flush button! Clearly not designed by women :mrgreen:
Pally

Post by Pally »

Eagle wrote:Mosy
Nail parlours. That is strange. I would have thought any able bodied person would be able to cut ones own nails with no problem....
It is obvious that Nail bars are about a lot more than cutting one's nails! Nail art is a harmless fashion that gives a RANGE of people pleasure!! . It fills a retail space, provides a service, brings people to the high street who might also use other shops. Not my personal cup of tea but so what!!
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

American Nails in High Street is brill. It's nice and clean inside and a reasonable price. I am often in there for a pedicure and manicure. The staff are lovely.
mosy

Post by mosy »

Quite so. Same with Jay Jay nail bar opposite Newlands Park that I frequent periodically. I managed to break three nails on Christmas Eve after preparing lunch for Xmas day. (The pain if they ripped off between then and New Year = doesn't bear thinking about). They squeezed me in at about 7pm on Christmas Eve :shock: Forever grateful *bows*

It's those who care about their customers, as our current high street shop owners do - and we have many who do - that counts hugely to me. People can wish for as many gentrified shops as they like - provided they, or many, shop at them cos it doesn't matter how good they look if people still choose to shop in Penge, CP, ED etc.

On a recent radio programme about the state or demise of high streets, business rates came top of the list from the numerous tweets received. Not surprised given how much profit is needed to cover those alone.
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

I mentioned Subway as an example of the sort of outlet I perceived as being likely to be looked down on by those with higher aspirations for the area. I personally won't use it as I find everything they sell over-sweet (including the bread) but that is the way with imported American fast food. I'd rather have an independent using nicer ingredients than ultra-long life bread etc but it servers a purpose and is clean and not too horrible to look at.
Pally

Post by Pally »

I agree re Subway. Its a bit like Nailbars. Not my cup of tea but provides a service for people, might bring people who might use other shops as well, clean, doesn't look too bad, better than an empty outlet!
robbieduncan

Post by robbieduncan »

On the Hoof Bistro menu and opening date up on a small sign in their window. Menu is pretty short but looks quite good.