NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
G-Man

Re: NEW OPENINGS, NEW CLOSINGS

Post by G-Man »

Very good point indeed. So Sydenham Society - what are your thoughts? Be good to know. What about the traders association? What can they do to help them? That's how Forest Hill has improved, because of the traders and Forest Hill society, why can't we learn from them?

I walked past the shop last night and it looks pretty rubbish. It looks like the yellow fronted shop a couple of doors down is going to be something exciting though...I saw what looked like hairdresser chairs..brilliant. :x
biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Stefan wrote:maybe rather dismissing a new shop straight away and complain to the authorities, why not work with them rather against them, why cant the sydenham society or local counciler pay them a visit, explain the situation to them, let them know what kind of help and grants are out there, what the locals expect from a new shopfront and make them aware of the forum, it may be the owners are thinking that the design is great and adds to the highstreet and happy to change it if it causes just a stir, also worth remebering that there are only a handful of people on here complaining so some locals might just be pleased that a new shop is opening
An excellent idea, at least as a first step.

But it needs people to contact their local ward councillor or to work with the Sydenham Society. Lots of people who post on here already do an awful lot, but others who feel strongly about this might want to volunteer...
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

biscuitman1978 wrote:
Stefan wrote:maybe rather dismissing a new shop straight away and complain to the authorities, why not work with them rather against them, why cant the sydenham society or local counciler pay them a visit, explain the situation to them, let them know what kind of help and grants are out there, what the locals expect from a new shopfront and make them aware of the forum, it may be the owners are thinking that the design is great and adds to the highstreet and happy to change it if it causes just a stir, also worth remebering that there are only a handful of people on here complaining so some locals might just be pleased that a new shop is opening
An excellent idea, at least as a first step.

But it needs people to contact their local ward councillor or to work with the Sydenham Society. Lots of people who post on here already do an awful lot, but others who feel strongly about this might want to volunteer...
Contacting our local ward councillors or working with the Sydenham Society might give an initial impression of helping, but is unlikely to achieve anything. What Stefan suggests is pretty well exactly what I did as SydSoc Chair when Kenté opened, as described here
Embrace the Forum, even when it hurts. Talk to George at Kente. He contacted me soon after he opened, when there were some negative stuff about him here - and I was very happy to suggest how he dealt with it. I think now there are only nice things written about Kente now - which is of course mainly because it's a great little coffee shop
Making businesses aware of this Forum is the last thing local ward councillors or the Sydenham Society will do, or if they do, it will be framed with warnings about how it is full of anonymous people saying nasty snide horrible things, undermining local enterprise, so best avoided.

The actual best advice for anyone wanting to make a difference is to use local shops, and give their mangers feedback straight, both positive and negative, and also, if preferred anonymously, using this Forum allows for a public discussion.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Another hairdressers, do we really need one ? As for the eastern european shop,don't knock it before you try it !!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's VERY difficult trying to persuade a shop to change it's shop front or signage. We have worked with lots of shops now all over London and even when it's been funded 100% by the council with free design some of them still want to go and make their shops look ****.

With this one, the moment has passed. The window sticker is expensive for al all over 4 colour version like that, they have spent a fair amount of money on the sign and a bit extra for the lovely duck tape.

The council and Sydenham Society have spent some money on some local guidelines for shop fronts, which I was hoping may be a bit more inspirational, showing what you could do rather than what you shouldn't. In the end it's basically a local version of the existing council guidelines. But as all the traders in Sydenham now have it, it IS a step forward.

I was hoping that the What If Project and Billings may have inspired other shops to follow suit.

I was hoping the What If project may have been promoted by our local civic societies to inspire our local shops, or perhaps we would have given a talk to a local traders group as we have offered to do for free to share what we have learned working with shops and high streets in Ruislip, Hayes, Bromley, Penge, Catford, Brentford, Hounslow, Muswell Hill, Northwood Hills and others to show what you can do with shop fronts and signage. But for one reason or another this hasn't happened.

I was hoping local shops may have looked to Forest Hill, East Dulwich, Beckenham or others for what looks good and copy them.

We have the Portas Pilot which I'm sure will help bringing new businesses to the area and help to join things up. I'm not sure how we can address the lack of empty shops, high shop turnover and high rents.

There have been lots of ideas for how to improve the high street and bring new businesses here, but very few ideas have been acted upon in comparison to Forest Hill. Dickp has been working on a website which looks promising, but I believe we need to join up all these ideas and SUPPORT THEM.

On the bright side, there are plans in the works to make things better in Sydenham and the new road improvements will have a limited effect on everything, but the street improvements are not the be all and end all. If the shops look shabby the effect will be compromised.

How can we improve things? Well, clicking here for a start:

http://www.see3.co.uk/
dickp

Post by dickp »

Just an idea, on how to be proactive rather that reactive:

Can’t Lewisham Council print off these guidelines, shove them in an official looking envelope, preferably with the words “Shopfront designs guidelines. Important – please read”, and drop them in all the vacant high street retail properties? It’s not as if its not obvious where these vacant units are!

On a small scale, I’m happy to act as postman in the Sydenham and Forest Hill area, combining the activity will walking the hound – so long as I don’t to print them first.

In other news, this week’s South London Press is reporting that Jay’s options is / has shut, due to retirement.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Dick, they have been delivered to every shop in the high street, apparently.

But I totally agree about the empty shops.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Recently, do you know? Or some time ago?

If not recently, then something to add to the Portas Budget pot, perhaps?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I understand this may sound easier than it is but maybe estate agents can include the info in their information packs, of course this might only work the properties are marketed by local estate agents
dickp

Post by dickp »

I wonder if Lewisham Council is planning to make adherence to shop design guidelines a condition of any shop freeholder / tenant taking Portas cash. 12 properties with improved sign frontage would certainly begin to make a noticeable difference to the streetscape.

Planning guidelines enforced by contact and cash incentives, as it were.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It may be that any new shops would have advice from a design company and the council. I'd be very surprised if the council allowed any money to go to a business that wasn't a handsome addition to the high street.
dickp

Post by dickp »

One would hope so. But a contractual obligation on freeholders / tenants would certainly ram the point home.

Just puttin' it out there...
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes I can assure that the Council will want to see any funding for improvements following the shop front guide for Sydenham - http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/SiteCollecti ... tGuide.pdf
I have sent the link to all the main commercial agents along with an update on the improvements. The Sydenham Traders meeting held on the 28 August had a reasonable attendance of 40 plus and the presentations from Riney on the road scheme as well as the Portas Pilot bid were well received.

On 64 Sydenham Road I have called in and left the shop front guide for the manager. I spoke to the letting agent and sent an email for the lessee setting out the issues with the roller shutter, fully covered windows etc There is now an off licence application from 10:00 – 23:00 - Monday to Sunday. I know some of you will want to object to this and the reasons must include grounds based on one or more of the four licensing objectives which are

Public Safety
Protection of children from harm
Prevention of public nuisance
Crime and Disorder

Representations must also relate to the specific premises and not the general problems in the area and be received by 6 November.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

dickp wrote:I wonder if Lewisham Council is planning to make adherence to shop design guidelines a condition of any shop freeholder / tenant taking Portas cash. 12 properties with improved sign frontage would certainly begin to make a noticeable difference to the streetscape.

Planning guidelines enforced by contact and cash incentives, as it were.
I'm not sure that there is 'Portas cash' to provide such incentives to shop keepers / freeholders. According to Marymck here
I asked the lady from the Council if Lewisham would be giving any incentives by way of reduced business rates, for new start ups in these shops. The answer was no.
If you read what Louise wrote at the start of that thread, the money is meant more for projects to show what can be done.

It is curious therefore that Chris Best writes "Yes I can assure that the Council will want to see any funding for improvements following the shop front guide for Sydenham", since it suggests she has a different understanding of what the Portas Pilot is about, and risks undermining it by making it seem more of the same old imposition of rules which, unless 'owned' by existing businesses will be dismissed by them as senseless, arbitrary bureaucracy.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I spotted that the shutters were down on Jays Opticians again today so had a closer look and sign on door says "Jays Opticians has ceased trading"
multisync

Post by multisync »

So anybody know whats happening with the yellow fronted shop. Seemed to be having some sort of opening party the other week, but now the shutters are down again and there is scaffolding errected at the front. :!:
Chris Best

Post by Chris Best »

Yes - 70 is being fitted out for beauty and hair.

Lewisham Council have a report to the Planning Committee on the enforcement action regarding the installation of the yellow shutter on Thursday - http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 20Road.pdf
with a recommendation to remove the metal shop front and metal roller shutters at ground floor level from the property for the following reasons:-
The shop front and roller shutter including associated housing are not acceptable
as they have a detrimental impact on the character and appearance of the
property, street scene and the Sydenham Thorpes Conservation Area contrary to
policies URB3 Urban Design; URB6 Extensions and Alterations; URB8 Shop
fronts; URB10 Roller Grilles and Shutters and URB16 New Development, Changes
of Use and Alterations to Buildings in Conservation Areas in the adopted Unitary
Development Plan, July 2004 and policies Objective 10: Protect and enhance
Lewisham’s character; Spatial Policy 3: District Hubs and Policy 15: High quality
design for Lewisham in the adopted Core Strategy June 2011, and policy 7.4
‘Local Character’ and 7.6 ‘Architecture’ of the London Plan 2011.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If they are worried about the glass being scratched or broken, 3m do a film which is around £50per m2 installed which either makes the glass incredibly difficult to break (it's called bomb blast film) and another that works like the tear of strips f1 drivers have on their visors, with about 4 layers. If the film gets scratched, you tear it off and there are another 3 layers under it.

Roller shutters can often go wrong, some insurance companies insist on them having their own separate insurance and in many, if not most instances, they make do difference to insurance premiums. Its' often more expensive to fix a roller shutter than to replace glass (and it's possible to polish scratches out of glass).

There is a site coming soon that will have all this info on it.

On another note, why can't councils be given powers to limit the amount of similar businesses in a high street. I give this hairdresser about 6 months. We have too many already, there are over 13 in Sydenham, infact I've lost count. Can't anyone think fo something original, different or research an area before opening a business anymore?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Chris Best wrote:
Lewisham Council have a report to the Planning Committee on the enforcement action regarding the installation of the yellow shutter on Thursday - http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ ... 20Road.pdf
with a recommendation to remove the metal shop front and metal roller shutters at ground floor level from the property for the following reasons:-
The shop front and roller shutter including associated housing are not acceptable
as they have a detrimental impact on the character and appearance of the
property, street scene and the Sydenham Thorpes Conservation Area contrary to
policies URB3 Urban Design; URB6 Extensions and Alterations; URB8 Shop
fronts; URB10 Roller Grilles and Shutters and URB16 New Development, Changes
of Use and Alterations to Buildings in Conservation Areas in the adopted Unitary
Development Plan, July 2004 and policies Objective 10: Protect and enhance
Lewisham’s character; Spatial Policy 3: District Hubs and Policy 15: High quality
design for Lewisham in the adopted Core Strategy June 2011, and policy 7.4
‘Local Character’ and 7.6 ‘Architecture’ of the London Plan 2011.
Does anyone else think that the council should translate planning and other policy speak into understandable English? The above paragraph is utterly ridiculous.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Lee - I think you're missing something here. If you follow the link Chris gives, there is also this: