show yourself...continued

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
ALIB

show yourself...continued

Post by ALIB »

I would consider myself a very personable/sociable individual, though normally quite introverted. Obviously i am a newcomer to this site (my 3rd Post), but it does seem a shame that we have so many visitors to the site, but not very many people posting their opinions.

Emily Parkhurst (If my history 'o' level serves me well), among many others, have sacrificed a great deal in order that we may all have free speech. What is the use of having free-speech or the vote, if you don't use it???

Please, don't be shy. We are all entitled to our opinions, so please post them. A good debate often sorts out contenscious issues, and I'm sure we would all welcome any viewpoints..............so c'mon. Welcome to the site and the area.

Ali
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I think everyone is scared...

I notice a lot of English people are very withdrawn... Greg should be a good role model for everyone; the man just doesn't care what people think. I have to rate Greg... He's got a good sense of humour, and it's funny how people get annoyed by him sometimes... I must admit I wouldn't have the bottle to use my full name and give out my phone number, but that's just me; we've all got some issues.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I agree, Greg may be a bit crazy - but he's got balls. Big up yerself.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

:lol:

Thanks Julwz (I think?). I don't know about role model Falkor but I do believe that (IMHO) as long as views are not of a dangerous or anti-social nature then we ought to be able to post with gay abandon. I must admit I do need to work on how I react in the sense of tone (I often infer it incorrectly as many people do with emails) and I really believe having lashed out at Julwz/GLOBAL THINKER followed by still_robbo that I will not get to 'strike 3'.

That said, it seems that the most controversial or unfounded opinions seem to be offered, in the main, by those with anonymity. People having access to my telephone numbers, street name (where I am and where I'm moving to) and full name keeps me in check - yes it does! For that reason I try to only post my views on things I know something about or have researched or have had experience with - saves tittle-tattle and prejudice (for example my facts on Sydenham's affluence Leaf and I were debating was from a document supplied to me by my accountant which covered percentage of AB1, readers of broadsheets, 2-car ownership which the results of which may surprise many people, or maybe not - Sydenham is not 'poor', quite the opposite, but as with most of London has a rich tapestry of areas.). My point there was the 'haves' really aren't that catered for but are here in abundance.

As I say more useful details can easily be found by going through your bins.

SO - how many more people are going to out themselves? And welcome ALIB
Last edited by Greg Whitehead on 16 Oct 2006 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
leaf

Post by leaf »

i have to say in gregs defence that whatever offensive posts he has made have always been very well written!
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

So if you're well-educated it's much more acceptable to be offensive? I don't agree.
leaf

Post by leaf »

no thats not what i said,i mean well written,which is a different thing,like well written comedy.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Greg comes out with some good lyrics... :D
Steve Grindlay

Re: show yourself...continued

Post by Steve Grindlay »

ALIB wrote:Emily Parkhurst ... sacrificed a great deal in order that we may all have free speech
I'm afraid the pedant in me can't help wondering whether that shouldn't be [Emmeline Pankhurst].
But I do agree with you. I also agree with Greg that allowing oneself to be identifiable certainly encourages me to be a little more careful and measured about what I say. That, coupled with a rule of thumb that I don't break very often - never post after more than 3 units of alcohol!
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/17102006/389/war-fraud.html

This was the point I was making - the things we throw away makes us easy prey for cyber-theft as opposed to where we think we are at our most vulnerable, that is to say online. I can still understand the need for anonymity in the face of cyberstalkers but it seems the Internet is were we are often overzealous. Furthermore do we really believe that single-layer authentication employed by our banks is even half-way safe (yes, even in the presence of 128bit SSL)?

Each to their own whether you're shining_star or Susan Smith.
leaf

Post by leaf »

i always shred :wink:
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Greg,

I do admire your stance on internet/forum anonymity and fully understand your point, but I for one wouldn't feel comfortable putting my full name up on a public forum.

From a name - it is an easy step to find an address or telephone number and from the conversational nature of a forum quite often easy for others to work out whether you are going on holiday, for example - or going to be out of the house for a while and so on. And if they're in any doubt - they could call your phone number and check whether you're home!

I don't hide behind a pseudonym for the sake of avoiding criticism/attack, rather I don't want anyone except people I trust to know I'm going to be out of the house.

Aside from security concerns, names and telephone numbers do command a price and people and companies do trawl the net looking for them - why give them away when you needn't?
Annie

Post by Annie »

Robbo,
you have just said what i wanted to say.
Security is the issue here sad as it is.
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

Funnily enough there was an article in one of the freebie papers yesterday about a man who was tracked down and murdered by someone he had been rude about on a chat room!

I tried to find the article on-line so I could add the link but the throwaway's don't seem to keep the same kind of archives the proper papers do.

I shall definitely be remaining anonymous after reading that!
Annie

Post by Annie »

:)
Thats convinced me!
:wink:
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

Man didn't die, just had his throat cut.....

Article in Times Online

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 69,00.html
stringfellow

Post by stringfellow »

He proabably died in the Metro version but not in the times!

Glad you found it anyway, I was no doubt looking in the wrong place.
raymondus

Post by raymondus »

Man didn't die, just had his throat cut.....
Oh, OK then. As long as he didn't buy the farm.
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

I apologise for not posting in BIG IRONIC CAPITALS. The man was slashed from adam's apple to ear, if you read the article. I think that speaks for itself.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

The assailant traced his victim "using electoral records". I'm sure most of you know that two electoral registers are compiled. One, which lists everybody who is eligible to vote, is not publically accessible. The other, on which the online version is based, only shows those voters who did not tick the box on the registration form asking to be excluded.

Ticking this box seems a reasonable precaution, as does being ex-directory. I was surprised, on checking my own postcode, that almost all my neighbours, their partners, children over 18 and tenants are listed in the online version of the register (I also note that Greg, like me, is not).