Street Drinker Violence

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
CaptainCarCrash

Re: Street Drinker Violence

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

ALIB wrote:
I witnessed a brawl between street-drinkers two years ago in the middle of Sydenham Road.

It's become a sort of sport in America, they call it bum fights, they offer change to one but only if he walks over to another across the road and starts a fight and wins :lol:
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote: How much does it cost to keep them in Booze/abode/health though mike?
If they were to get nothing the crime of robbery burglary and murder would dramatically rise so the lesser evil is to offer them some support.
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:
ALIB wrote:
I witnessed a brawl between street-drinkers two years ago in the middle of Sydenham Road.

It's become a sort of sport in America, they call it bum fights, they offer change to one but only if he walks over to another across the road and starts a fight and wins :lol:

Really? Really?
Thats sick.
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote:

Really? Really?
Thats sick.
They do it just for a drink in San Diego.

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zky5fE_uE[/youtubes]
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:
Annie wrote:

Really? Really?
Thats sick.
They do it just for a drink in San Diego.

[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zky5fE_uE[/youtubes]

God almighty! what sick people. :shock:
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote: I am sure in the 60's George Dixon would have moved them on , or down to Dock Green Nick.
Eagle, I remember PC George Dixon very well! :D He pounded the beat till he could hardly
walk anymore, well he was getting on a bit. They gave old George a desk job where he worked untill he was 80! :shock: :shock:
I do hope that the powers that be don't get any ideas from this old TV series, ageing, overweight coppers aren't going to cut the mustard these days! Retire them off and get some youngsters in, they need the jobs anyhow! Quite silly us working untill we're old and ready to drop (or nod off). George, even though he meant well with good sound morale standards, is a good example for lowering the retirement age and giving job opportunities to the young 'uns... :wink:

Maybe giving the youngsters jobs (get them in to work) will stop them boozing, I don't know
how they afford it anyhow? I'm just trying to remember what it was my dad blamed the young for! :oops:
Annie

Post by Annie »

14BradfordRoad wrote:
Eagle wrote: , is a good example for lowering the retirement age and giving job opportunities to the young 'uns... :wink:

Maybe giving the youngsters jobs (get them in to work) will stop them boozing, I don't know
how they afford it anyhow? I'm just trying to remember what it was my dad blamed the young for! :oops:
I thought that! I think the age of re-tirement should be lowered rather than increased,
someone can have my job anyday if I can get a pension instead,
Theres a radical idea, instead of the young being without a job/hope of a job,let all of us who want to re-tire do so,and we could get the equivalant of their unemployment benefit. i'm up for it! :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Bradford

I am not saying I did not write those comments but cannot recall doing do. Guess dementia settling in.
That is not the Dixon comments which I do recall. Great series , the crims always very humble and admitted they were bad sort. Yes I agree Sgt Flint and George were a trifle aged . He was even old in The Blue Lamp , which I think was the inspiration of the series.

We certainly cannot afford to pay pensions any earlier but of course nothing to stop people spending less on exotic holidays , posh cars etc and saving to retire early.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Annie wrote: I thought that! I think the age of re-tirement should be lowered rather than increased,
someone can have my job anyday if I can get a pension instead,
Theres a radical idea, instead of the young being without a job/hope of a job,let all of us who want to re-tire do so,and we could get the equivalant of their unemployment benefit. i'm up for it! :D
I believe that it's quite do-able too Annie. We are paying for the young (and not so young)
anyways so why not kill 2 birds with one stone, maybe society would be bettered further
lowering costs (social unrest, problems, etc). Although I'm not retirement age yet at 56 I
am beginning to get quite 'knackered' out, I'm sure a working week has got longer! :|

Would it be a good idea to (at least) phase out workers past a sensible age and phase more
youngsters in to work? Those new younger workers would then be paying into pension schemes
and gaining a work ethic whilst some older workers possibly on part-pension and part-working!
Phasing work hours down 5/10 years before retirment would be healthier. Working long silly hours, then suddenly stopping/retiring can be a recipe for disaster. I'm up for it too! :D

Maybe the unemployment stuation is one of the factors behind our booze problems? Not having
a job to get up for/lack of hope could be leading to drinking! :?
A win-win solution possibly? :D
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle (and anyone interested), info on Jack Warner, Dixon of Dock Green:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_of_Dock_Green

Sorry it's a bit off subject but; Those were the days (if only, sigh)!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes a bit different than watching violence and swearing in some modern police drama's
Annie

Post by Annie »

14BradfordRoad wrote:[ I'm not retirement age yet at 56 I
am beginning to get quite 'knackered' out, I'm sure a working week has got longer! :|

Maybe the unemployment stuation is one of the factors behind our booze problems? Not having
a job to get up for/lack of hope could be leading to drinking! :?
A win-win solution possibly? :D
I am also 56, and worn out!
I would happily recieve say £50 quid a week to allow a young person to get their foot on the works ladder,

Not sure what they get paid to do nothing? but if you bare in mind the social cost, then i'm sure it would be worth it, just think no more riots! they would all be to knackerd! :D
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Annie, it seems that we may have achieved the ultimate solution in just a few paragraphs! :D

What are we paying our Countries leaders for? Yet even more savings to be made! :lol:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We could even put Dixon of Dock Green back on the box? ..OK, I'll just get my coat! :oops:
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 8 Apr 2012 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Annie

Post by Annie »

14BradfordRoad wrote:Annie, it seems that we may have achieved the ultimate solution in just a few paragraphs! :D

What are we paying our Countries leaders for? Yet even more savings to be made! :lol:

Yeay! :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie and Bradford

In theory your idea is good. Many employers say they are looking for staff but the schools have turned out many not fit for employment.

The only employment in SE26 or commutable distance from is service industry. One has to smile and speak correctly.

I know many young people not afflicted with a strange foreign dialect but there are all too many.

Also with the life expectancy going up all the time the country cannot afford to lower the retirement age. When I started work in 66 it was common to see people who retired not last two years .
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Annie and Bradford

In theory your idea is good. Many employers say they are looking for staff but the schools have turned out many not fit for employment.

The only employment in SE26 or commutable distance from is service industry. One has to smile and speak correctly.

I know many young people not afflicted with a strange foreign dialect but there are all too many.

Also with the life expectancy going up all the time the country cannot afford to lower the retirement age. When I started work in 66 it was common to see people who retired not last two years .
But these day there are so many who are retired at 18 (if you see my point)!!

Alright Annie and myself will just need to fine-tune this idea. Can we retire then please? :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

14BradfordRoad wrote:
Eagle wrote:Annie and Bradford

But these day there are so many who are retired at 18 (if you see my point)!!

Alright Annie and myself will just need to fine-tune this idea. Can we retire then please? :D
But Eagle,
they should be trained to speak proper like and to smile man! :) init!

The point you make about being retired at 18 is so sad,but almost the norm,I know of a young couple,17 & 19 who have just had their 2nd child,the girl 17 has never worked or even tried to find work since leaving school,the male, does odd jobs by the sound of it,both collect whatever the name of the social security benefit is these days? yet they can afford to smoke ,drink and breed,something is soooooo wrong here.
if either of them would like to earn their keep then they can have my job!
I have always worked hard,I took time off in the early 80s to have my children,without claiming any benefit I would like to say,then went back to work & have worked since,
My husband and I have never lived the "High" life but been sensible and managed to save up and buy a house and put a bit by.
Imagine my disappointment when my retirement age went up from 60 to its either 62 or 66 not sure which.
But i'm willing to go now!!!!!! any offers? :D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes a great idea but cannot see how it can be afforded , especially with the mess New Labour left the country in.

Good Luck.

Annie
The couple you mention are a joke of how sick Britain has become. Do not believe that would have happened in the 50's or 60's . How does HMG let these people get away with sponging of everyone else. Stop all their benefits , that will get them to work.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:Yes a great idea but cannot see how it can be afforded , especially with the mess New Labour left the country in.

Good Luck.

Annie
The couple you mention are a joke of how sick Britain has become. Do not believe that would have happened in the 50's or 60's . How does HMG let these people get away with sponging of everyone else. Stop all their benefits , that will get them to work.

Unfortunately Eagle once children are involved in steps all the do-gooders,and the breeders know it.

(ps I know its not the kids fault)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes these do gooders are a joke.

You should not have children you cannot support by your own efforts.