Street Drinker Violence

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
The Clown

Street Drinker Violence

Post by The Clown »

I have just walked back home along the high street to find the Street Drinkers having a full on fight - a man swinging punches at a woman, she then threw an advertising A Board at him and then promptly walked her child's pram in front of a bus, which thankfully broke hard enough in time to stop.

How can this be allowed to continue?
and
Why is this woman allowed to care for a child?
Eagle

Re: Street Drinker Violence

Post by Eagle »

I am afraid we have been through these issues many times before. I agree these people are a disgrace and another reason for a high minimum price of alcohol. How do they afford drink on benefit.

You could write to Mr Dowd or , and , a councillor , but doubt if anything will happen.
If only we had a new Virginia or New South Wales to ship these people to but unfortunately no such place exists.

Good Luck.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

They are victims of a ruthless society, that's what killed Lenny Bruce. That and the 800 tonnes of dangerous chemicals he ingested over his lifetime.

The street drinkers have rights although I think it to be pretty dreadful they are allowed to breed, what sort of life is that for a child? You could always run away to a nice quite Kent village.

The Police should have been alerted to this IMO.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Have the street drinkers rights when they cause distress to many citizens who pay their taxes who presumably subsidise the street drinkers and their rudeness.

They are obviously getting too much benefit if they can afford to buy so much alcohol.
Annie

Post by Annie »

victims? we all have choices in life,

The nice quiet Kent village is sounding more and more attractive though. :)
CaptainCarCrash

Eagle wrote:Have the street drinkers rights when they cause distress to many citizens who pay their taxes who presumably subsidise the street drinkers and their rudeness.

They are obviously getting too much benefit if they can afford to buy so much alcohol.
Something is keeping them in booze and attracting them to Sydenham? They are a part of societies failings and we have to accept they are a fact of life in the modern world and are here to stay.

This is a problem that cannot be resolved because the council have created the situation by building a refuge or housing this type of unfortunate in the area. There is a young offenders place just down the road from me so thanks to the council for dumping scum on my doorstep and probably adding to the potential likelihood of crime figures going up in the local area.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Problem is Annie even the quiet villages have their social misfits.

Drinking on The Queen's Highway or pavement should be illegal , unless it is the fenced of area of a wine bar etc which has a license.

I am sure in the 60's George Dixon would have moved them on , or down to Dock Green Nick.
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote:The nice quiet Kent village is sounding more and more attractive though. :)
It is Annie, I really hope I can get out of London soon. Over the past few years there seems to be more scum about. There are some really nasty low evolved people around that look as if they would stab you as soon as look at you. People make too many excuses these days. We could start a vigilante street drinker punishment gang and bully them out of the area.
Annie

Post by Annie »

perhaps we need a few more Dixons?

The problems start when society accepts "street drinking" or any other form of anti social behaviour,
we become conditioned to not complain about something that might offend us,and so the swearing on the busses,in the streets,the loud talking on the mobile,the dis-respect of the yoof to the older generation,the music blaring from the cars,all these things would have been frowned upon when I was a teenager.
I appreciate that time moves on,but does it have to be so crass?

As someone said recently, i'm glad i'm on my way out and not on my way in :)
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote:perhaps we need a few more Dixons?

The problems start when society accepts "street drinking" or any other form of anti social behaviour,
we become conditioned to not complain about something that might offend us,and so the swearing on the busses,in the streets,the loud talking on the mobile,the dis-respect of the yoof to the older generation,the music blaring from the cars,all these things would have been frowned upon when I was a teenager.
I appreciate that time moves on,but does it have to be so crass?

As someone said recently, i'm glad i'm on my way out and not on my way in :)
I think a lot of people are deluded, no disrespect Annie but the world has improved beyond recognition especially in this country. People complain about this sort of thing in a snobby way but it was a lot worse in the Victorian era where there was no contraception and the working classes had 11 kids all growing up to commit crimes, Serfs had children without any real capacity to nurture them in to decent contributors.

I'd be interested to know when you were a teenager? probably the suppressed 1950's when no bugger had naff all, unless you were from an affluent family of course.

:D
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I was born in 49 so a child in the 50's and 60's .
I agree not a lot going on in the 50's but we made our own entertainment.
In many ways I think society was more equal in say 60's than 50 years before or now.

In Dixon of Dock Green criminals used to say , It is a fare cop Mr Dixon , no pussy footing about claiming innocent where one was not.

Certainly no abusive street drinkers or lay about big issue beggars from Rumania.
Only drunks on streets on London were Scots , mainly near Euston and Kings Cross.
CaptainCarCrash

Sorry to burst your bubble Eagle but just to let you know that Dixon of Doc Green was a work of fiction and your somewhat out dated attitudes towards less fortunate people mean absolutely nothing and will not make the slightest of difference to the situation

Born in 46 which explains your Alf Garnettesque penchant towards intolerance, you have old fashioned ideals from a Britain that has long since died, it's time to join the real world Eagle and the very real prospect that years of neglect of the underclasses has lead to a fragmented society bereft with a f_ck you Jack I'm alright mentality which can only get worse as the disparity between the rich and poor widens.

You said the only drunks were Scots in Euston and Kings Cross, yet you fail to realise that the problem has snowballed and affects many more people which reflects a serious social problem that highlights that there is a serious issue with society and the system.
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:
I think a lot of people are deluded, no disrespect Annie but the world has improved beyond recognition especially in this country. People complain about this sort of thing in a snobby way but it was a lot worse in the Victorian era where there was no contraception and the working classes had 11 kids all growing up to commit crimes, Serfs had children without any real capacity to nurture them in to decent contributors.

I'd be interested to know when you were a teenager? probably the suppressed 1950's when no bugger had naff all, unless you were from an affluent family of course.

:D
Haha, far from affluent Mike,I come form one of those working class families,my parents had 10 children, although 1 died in childhood,so there were 11 of us to feed,clothe etc,
I have never committed a crime in my life, I was born 1956.
I had a terrible education,(as you can probably tell) the teachers were crap,I have issues with authority,( like you) but, I also want to live in a world where there is respect for each other,
where peace reigns, and everyone can live their life to the full. sounds good Eh! :D
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote:I also want to live in a world where there is respect for each other,
where peace reigns, and everyone can live their life to the full. sounds good Eh! :D
Very nice Annie, all well and good when it's not at the cost of others. I have a similar Utopian dream I also resent people being suppressed and manipulated in the name of the few.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

I think Sydenham seems to have a disproportionately higher percentage of higher-risk people than it had a few years ago.
This is due to changes within society, but also that the powers that be (rather than attempting to deal with problematic elements) choose to place them away from places like knightsbridge or Henley-on-Thames.

I think the concern for the locale of Sydenham is justified for residents who feel an increased threat (whether real or percieved) in their day-to-day lives. That man with the tatoos all over his face, for example, makes me feel intimidated as i pass him in the street.

I witnessed a brawl between street-drinkers two years ago in the middle of Sydenham Road. Traffic was stopped and the police were in atttendance. In my ignorance, I did find some comedy value in it at the time, but it must have been worrying for more vulnerable residents and it is very sad when some elements of society are reduced to such behaviour.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Where do the Sydenham Drinkers go at night?

Im not being funny,but do they actually live anywhere?
if not, then thats a crime, and they obviously are not getting any help.
If they are getting help, and do have somewhere to live,then perhaps it should be investigated how they can afford the booze?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

How they can afford the booze should be investigated either way.

Someone told me they come from Hither Green. Not sure if that was a joke. If so must come them some bus fares
Annie

Post by Annie »

Eagle wrote:How they can afford the booze should be investigated either way.

Someone told me they come from Hither Green. Not sure if that was a joke. If so must come them some bus fares

Lucky them! I cannot afford the bus fares or the booze! :mrgreen:
CaptainCarCrash

Annie wrote:Where do the Sydenham Drinkers go at night?

perhaps it should be investigated how they can afford the booze?
Home probably.

What do you think the phrase "Scuze me guv? Spare any change?" is for Annie?

How much would it cost to investigate the movements haunts and monetary acquisition of the great unwashed?
Annie

Post by Annie »

mikecg wrote:
Annie wrote:Where do the Sydenham Drinkers go at night?

perhaps it should be investigated how they can afford the booze?
Home probably.

What do you think the phrase "Scuze me guv? Spare any change?" is for Annie?

How much would it cost to investigate the movements haunts and monetary acquisition of the great unwashed?
Haha,ok you got me gov!
How much does it cost to keep them in Booze/abode/health though mike?