New shop at Cobbs Corner

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Andwar

New shop at Cobbs Corner

Post by Andwar »

On my way to Sydenham Station this morning I walked passed the Greyhound development and there is a little blue notice on the retail space to the right of the pub next to the empty shop.

Upon closer inspection it seems that Sainsbury have the plot. Shame it's not a Waitrose or M&S but at least it's better than a Costcutter or Tesco's.

I would like something like the Kirkdale Bakery to move into one of the retail plots then I can get a nice baguette and croissant for breakfast on my way into work.
G-Man

Re: New shop at Cobbs Corner

Post by G-Man »

Yeah, it's been on the cards a while. Waitrose were interested but pulled out as far as I know. I think any 'metro' style store is a bit rubbish. I really hope the knock on effect doesn't mean more empty shops.

G-man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie

Post by Annie »

At least by being one of the big companys you know it wont shut after 6 months like the small ones do.
benchef

Post by benchef »

Annie wrote:At least by being one of the big companys you know it wont shut after 6 months like the small ones do.

Put the right kind of small business that everyone wants in place and then they won't shut. Maybe a hairdressers/charity shop/fried chicken shop/ donkey sanctuary? :wink:
Maria

Post by Maria »

......... and nails Benchef, please for goodness sake do not forget the nails!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The likes of Kirkdale Books, Billings, Wellbeing, Trattoria Raffaele, That's Amore, Alhambra, JH Skincare, Sugahill, Blue Mountain Cafe, and the Dolphin etc all seem to be doing well and appear to be proud of doing business in Sydenham.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Annie wrote:At least by being one of the big companys you know it wont shut after 6 months like the small ones do.
The problem is the Supermarkets are bullies and often cause small shops to shut. I hope we don't end up with more empty shops because of this...

G-man

Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:The likes of Kirkdale Books, Billings, Wellbeing, Trattoria Raffaele, That's Amore, Alhambra, JH Skincare, Sugahill, Blue Mountain Cafe, and the Dolphin etc all seem to be doing well and appear to be proud of doing business in Sydenham.

They do Lee I agree, However they are the best examples of the shops we have in Sydenham,also the likes of Billings, havent been here long.

A lot of small independent shops have shut over the last few years in Sydenham.
all i'm saying is - at least sainsburys won't shut down.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I was using your comment Annie to highlight the fact that there are some really good independent businesses in Sydenham that they have, or look like they they will stand the test of time like Woodfalls and newer businesses like Kente that I use because I think the people who run them are friendly and care. I wont get that in Sainsbury's.

As you say Annie, they are the best examples of the shops in Sydenham.

East to west or whatever it was called closed, as did a shop selling mobile phone accessories, a cafe that wasn't premier in any way but called itself the Premier Cafe, a few hairdressers which seem to close, open, close then open again, the same with estate agents…

Perhaps there is room for good businesses, better businesses and best businesses in Sydenham after all.

All we need is a bit more balance. More better and best to balance the Lidl end of the market and attract all bank balances onto the high street.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I know a lot of people are against big business, But I would love an Argos,M &S, Decent shoe shop,
W.H.S, Wilkinsons (at least they don't look tatty like the £1 shops) and i'm sure I could list more if I sat here long enough!- but at least with the other decent shops we already have, these larger shops would invite you to the high street, then its more inviting to pop into the other smaller shops.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

A mixture of big business / chains and thriving independents is, in my opinion, what a high street needs. It's why I go to Beckenham to shop, or Forest Hill. The lack of a W H Smith in Sydenham is something I feel keenly. And they can co-exist with independents - look at B Cards in Forest Hill, living happily a few doors down from W H Smith.

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

A Boots, a Boots, my kingdom (high street) for a Boots... :D
Annie

Post by Annie »

JulietP wrote:A Boots, a Boots, my kingdom (high street) for a Boots... :D

I thought there was one already? unless its gone since I last shopped in Sydenham.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

..but there is a Boots (albeit a tiny one) and a big Superdrug.
Of course what we do need is some more pound shops, some of those ethnic stores with bowls of manky fruit outside and maybe another pawnbrokers.
No wonder I never shop in Sydenham....
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

gerispringer wrote:..but there is a Boots (albeit a tiny one) and a big Superdrug.
Of course what we do need is some more pound shops, some of those ethnic stores with bowls of manky fruit outside and maybe another pawnbrokers.
No wonder I never shop in Sydenham....
Those bowls are often worth a second look. The ones outside similar stores in CP are incredible value - bought just last weekend, one bowl of fresh ginger (several separate pieces) and one of red and green birdseye chillies (more than I could easily hold in two hands) - £2 total :)
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I meant a proper Boots - like with more than one brand of shampoo? The Boots at Forest Hill and Sydenham are both tiny, have a non-existent range of products and never have what I want. Pointless.
Micromel

Post by Micromel »

I really hope the Sainsbury's local will complement the existing shops. I know that I will shop there but I will still be going to centre news for my newspaper and Payless for milk and veg etc. Sainsbury's will be great for the things the local shops don't stock like decent wine and double cream (Payless only sell Elmlea) and it's a trek down to the co-op from cobbs corner. I think everyone will have to make an effort to continue to use the local shops too.

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Annie wrote:I thought there was one already? unless its gone since I last shopped in Sydenham.
Perhaps you should start again, there are some decent shops, PFC, Fresh n Fruity, Billings etc etc. Support the High Street and it will thrive.

G-man

Annie

Post by Annie »

G-Man wrote:
Annie wrote:I thought there was one already? unless its gone since I last shopped in Sydenham.
Perhaps you should start again, there are some decent shops, PFC, Fresh n Fruity, Billings etc etc. Support the High Street and it will thrive.

G-man

If it had shops that I would use then I would :D
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Annie wrote:If it had shops that I would use then I would :D
You don't eat fruit and veg? Fish or meat? Bread? Olives? Olive oil? Or read books? Do the odd bit of DIY? etc etc. There are plenty of shops that 'most' people would find produce they desire, they just need to look and use them and stop thinking Sydemham has nothing to offer. Most are also cheaper than the supermarkets/superstores.

G-man