New shop at Cobbs Corner

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: New shop at Cobbs Corner

Post by Tim Lund »

G-Man wrote:there are some decent shops, PFC, Fresh n Fruity, Billings etc etc. Support the High Street and it will thrive.

G-man
Voyageur wrote:
gerispringer wrote:..but there is a Boots (albeit a tiny one) and a big Superdrug.
Of course what we do need is some more pound shops, some of those ethnic stores with bowls of manky fruit outside and maybe another pawnbrokers.
No wonder I never shop in Sydenham....
Those bowls are often worth a second look. The ones outside similar stores in CP are incredible value - bought just last weekend, one bowl of fresh ginger (several separate pieces) and one of red and green birdseye chillies (more than I could easily hold in two hands) - £2 total :)
Well said, Voyageur and G-Man. 'Ethnic' stores are the vibrant future of HIgh Streets across London. What makes a store 'ethnic'? That the people working there aren't white European? I think that makes the decent shops G-Man mentions - PFC, Fresh n Fruity, Billings - ethnic. The difference is that a good number of white Europeans like me shop there - and more of us will as we get to know them, and they market themselves. That's what I was thinking of in the thread "Support your local Turkish Supermarket", suggesting they get someone to tell us more about how to use what they sell.
Annie

Post by Annie »

G-Man wrote:
Annie wrote:If it had shops that I would use then I would :D
You don't eat fruit and veg? Fish or meat? Bread? Olives? Olive oil? Or read books? Do the odd bit of DIY? etc etc. There are plenty of shops that 'most' people would find produce they desire, they just need to look and use them and stop thinking Sydemham has nothing to offer. Most are also cheaper than the supermarkets/superstores.

G-man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

in answer to your questions,yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,no,no,yes,no.etc etc,
All the yes's I can get in one place-Sainsburys,
However,If the highstreet had the types of shops I listed earlier,then it would encourage me to shop in the high street.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I urge you to at least shop for DIY, books, meat and fish and vegetables on the High Street. You'll be better off personally and Sydenham will be better off for your custom.

rod taylor

I totally understand what you are saying rod,
but for years I have by-passed Sydenham high street,in fact at one time I used to prefer to get a bus into Penge! but it has changed there as well now,
I don't like the "feel" of sydenham high street-but as I keep saying,if the shops vastly improved then maybe I would give it a go again,I just don't feel I want to make the effort to walk it.
I find I am happy to" walk" Orpington,Beckenham High streets but not ours.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie
Sad but I do know where you are coming from. Such a contrast to Sydenham of 50 years ago.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

This is a problem with a lot of high streets. Perception and reputation goes a long way.

But it's a problem that is ignored.

I posted this on my blog about Sydenham Road. Shops used to look proud of themselves. Shop owners would stand outside of of their shops, arms folded with a look of pride on their faces. Windows displays would look immaculate, signs beautiful painted by local craftsmen who would compete with signwriters and glass cutters from other areas. Even the most humble of shops would be beautifully presented. They looked like they really wanted your trade. The owner would give great service.

It worked. Some of those stores and now multinational giants. M&S, Sainsbury's, even Matalan started as small stores, often market stalls and grew because they offered great products, great service and managed to communicate the fact.

These days we have a paint shop in Lower Sydenham that is in desperate need of a coat of paint. Shops just don't look like they care. While we all know this isn't always the case, it's a fact that is ignored in the majority of cases. How many shops in Sydenham clean their sign or roller shutters for instance?

I'd be interested in the feedback:
http://designedbygoodpeople.wordpress.c ... ppearance/
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rod taylor wrote:What does 'ethnic stores are the vibrant future of London's High Streets' mean? It sounds vaguely sinister!

Its a strange one this. I shop alot in the big Istanbul on Sydenham Road and think it is fantastic. OK - it is geared very much towards Turkish cuisine and as a result I have actually adapted my diet a bit. It is so close and convenient that I've changed my eating habits and become addicted to Baklava!

We have to be careful that this 'vibrant' future is not just minority supermarkets on the High Streets and large retail parks for White Europeans. Because of that, places like Billings are the future most attractive to me.
Rod - not sure what's sinister here - I think we're as one, except that I live closer to PFC, and I guess you do to the corner of Kent House Road.

If the future was as described in your last paragraph, it would not be so vibrant, but it would only apply if 'ethnic' shop keepers let attracting one ethnic group put off customers of other ethnicities, or customers of other ethnicities, such as White European, had some lingering prejudicies about shops which were identifiably 'ethnic'. The first is not a great business model in our melting pot of a city, and those who adopt it - such as East to West - fall by the way side. Those who see opportunities to branch out from their core customer base will prosper, and their new clients will - do - experience great value.
Annie

Post by Annie »

leenewham wrote:This is a problem with a lot of high streets. Perception and reputation goes a long way.

But it's a problem that is ignored.

I posted this on my blog about Sydenham Road. Shops used to look proud of themselves. Shop owners would stand outside of of their shops, arms folded with a look of pride on their faces. Windows displays would look immaculate, signs beautiful painted by local craftsmen who would compete with signwriters and glass cutters from other areas. Even the most humble of shops would be beautifully presented. They looked like they really wanted your trade. The owner would give great service.

It worked. Some of those stores and now multinational giants. M&S, Sainsbury's, even Matalan started as small stores, often market stalls and grew because they offered great products, great service and managed to communicate the fact.

These days we have a paint shop in Lower Sydenham that is in desperate need of a coat of paint. Shops just don't look like they care. While we all know this isn't always the case, it's a fact that is ignored in the majority of cases. How many shops in Sydenham clean their sign or roller shutters for instance?

I'd be interested in the feedback:
http://designedbygoodpeople.wordpress.c ... ppearance/
You hit the nail on the head Lee,
I find a lot of them uninspiring,dirty,cheap, and unfortunately the good shops lose out because of the bad shops.There should be some sort of standard that the shopkeepers have to keep,or not trade,and please no-one jump in with " its bad economic times!" a tin of paint,a change of attitude, and who knows how everyone would benefit.
gerispringer

Post by gerispringer »

I agree I rarely shop in Sydenham as the shops look so tired and uninspiring - the bowls of manky fruit shops, fried chicken , pound shops,nail bars, pawnbrokers, charity shops etc are depressing. I know there are one or two reasonable places- PFC, the bookshop etc who make a bit of an effort , but they are heavily outnumbered and lost in the mire. Crystal Palace, East Dulwich and even Forest HIll are more interesting and vibrant and I would prefer to shop / eat out etc in those places.
Before anyone points it out again - the fruit bowls can be good value - I have bought some in Lewisham and East Street markets, but NOT the ones I have seen in Sydenham. I glanced in the bowls outside the shop opposite the Greyhound yesterday and there were some with two tired looking peppers in - for £1! How do these shops make a living? They seem to employ a lot of people.