Larksbere Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AD

Larksbere Road

Post by AD »

Hello all,
A friend of mine is considering making an offer on a house in Larksbere Road, but is new to the area. Any thoughts, opinions on this road? many Thanks

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Whiftoff

Re: Larksbere Road

Post by Whiftoff »

I’ve lived around the corner for number of years. I think the area is fine although Larkbere Road itself, always looks like a nightmare to park on. Its just over a 10 minute walk to the station which is bearable.

I think the house of the corner of Larkbere and Champion Crescent is being converted into a number of posh flats. Possibly a good sign in term’s of the area etc.
AD

Post by AD »

Thank you, I shall pass your comment on : )

Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Hello,

Just to say in response to your post, I have lived on Larkbere Road for just over two years now and I absolutely love it.

As the previous poster mentioned it's just over 10 mins to the station. Having previously lived in a less nice part of South London, where I experienced a lot of violent crime (mugged, beaten, burgled) I am very cautious and took my time choosing where to move to. One of the things about Larkbere and the surrounding roads that appealed to me is that if you're coming back late at night, it's straight down Sydenham Road - brightly lit, busy, nearly always people about - then just off and you're home; a world of difference from the convoluted red-brick estate full of hidey holes where I previously lived.

Less than 5 mins walk to the left is the huge Sainsbury's, while to the right, for a more thrifty shop (!) is Lidl and the Co-op.

Mayow Park and Home Park are on the doorstep and Crystal Palace Park is a half-hour walk away.

Larkbere Road itself has a community feel to it - my neighbours on both sides are great: kind and friendly people who are a pleasure to live next door to, and there are several residents who have lived here for many years.

The parking comment above may be valid - I don't drive myself and nor does one of my next-door neighbours, so that's two spaces up for grabs for a start! Although frankly, nobody visiting me has ever had a problem parking.

There was a burglary in the street just before Christmas. Not pleasant, obviously, but I was heartened that the next day police were going door-to-door handing out flyers and making enquiries, which would suggest (as is true) that this is not an everyday occurrence, nor treated as such.

As for Sydenham itself I am in love with the area. I've read these forums for a few months but never posted before now as there was nothing I felt particularly strongly about, despite sharing the general frustration about some aspects of the high street. However, on the whole I can say that after two and a bit years, this road and this part of London are my home and I adore them both.

Hope that helps your friend with their decision!
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Hissing Syd. When you say you used to live on a Red Brick Estate do you mean the estate in SE12 just off of Burnt Ash Hill?

If you did would you be kind enough I drop me a pm as I'd like to speak to you.

Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Hello, sorry for the slightly tardy reply. No, this estate was SE14...
AD

Post by AD »

Thanks very much Hissing Syd. I shall pass on your comments to my friend as he absolutely loved the house.