Sydenham Little Uns

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Maebee

Sydenham Little Uns

Post by Maebee »

There seem to be a lot of young families in Sydenham and it might be a good idea for people to write in about what is available around this area for small children.

I know that there is a good play group at St Philip Neri church hall on Tuesday and Fridays 9.15 - 11.15. The hall is large enough for children to have a good run around and the play group is currently being reorganised by volunteer mothers so there is a lot of enthusism there at the moment.

Horniman Museum is great for children, especially Fridays when they have a story time for children. Three sessions starting at 10.30.

Sydenham Health Centre has a lovely singing group on Mondays at 10 am. Really relaxed and taken by lovely women from Sure Start.

Bellingham Green Sure Start is great on a nice day as there are lots of outside activities for the children.

Mayow Park is a favourite but the park I think needs a good overhaul. Maybe this is something the Sydenham Society might take on??

Anyone else with any other suggestions??
couldbeanyone

Sydenham Library

Post by couldbeanyone »

There is an event on at Sydenham Library every Tuesday from 1000 to 1100 during term time where a lkibrarian reads books and the children mcan draw apparently. Sometimes a toy library is present.

Is there any information regarding a toddler group in Venner Road, apparently there should be sessions on Tuesdays and Fridays but they appear not to run?

couldbe
leaf

Post by leaf »

i dont think the venner rd playgroup runs at all anymore?

there is one in the grove place[the old house not the new building where they have the pensioners dinner club]think its on a tuesday.

there is also one in st philips church in coombe rd[off wells park road]on wednesdays 9:30-11:30am.
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

is there also a private (pay £5 each session) playgroup on Crystal Palace Park Road. Does anyone have experience of this group?
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Are you talking about the one o'clock club in Crystal Palace Park? The organisers there are very good and my two have a great time. My 20-month old son loves careering about in the go-carts in the outside bit.

If you want to give them a special treat, Gamabados soft play centre towards Beckenham is fun if very pricey, although we haven't been since last winter.

A walk though Sydenham Hill Woods is great too. The entrance in Crescent Wood Road has steps down and is exciting for kids and there's a map of all the things to look for, like the folly and pond. (The only quibble is that the nearby Dulwich Wood House pub is rubbish for families. No kids allowed inside anywhere and the staff said rather rudely 'we're not child friendly' when I asked if they had high chairs to take outside. So why have they put baby-changing in the garden?! Shame, it would be great to have a Sunday walk followed by lunch.)

Wells Park, particularly in the summer with its water park. Home Park has a good playground for little ones and is handy for the library.
leaf

Post by leaf »

is that the one-o-clock club?

(its a modern building-one level)
Maebee

Post by Maebee »

Yes we had a very rude encounter at the Dulwich Wood House Pub when we went to have a family lunch there. What a shame as it has a great outside space for kids to run around. I certainly will not be going there again -even without kids.
sarahc

Post by sarahc »

Try Rascals ball park in Bellingham Leisure Centre. It is a fraction of the price that Gambados charge (and their membership scheme for the balls is well worth joining and not a rip off like Gambados memberships). I used regularly take my daughter to Gambados before discovering Rascals. My daughter enjoys it just as much. The food there is very reasonably priced and tastes rather good too! :wink:
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Oh, we drove past Rascals at the weekend and I wondered what it was like. We were on our way to explore some of the parks along the Quaggy river. Manor House Gardens is small but beautifully landscaped after a lottery/council grant, and the cafe is good for little children, with toys and books and small tables and chairs.
It makes all the difference if there's a good cafe – and toilets. I've heard that Mayow Park's toilets may be opened up because of this new garden project.
BingBong

Sydehnam Littl'uns

Post by BingBong »

There's also a free storytime session for children on Saturday mornings at Kirkdale Bookshop. 272 Kirkdale (opposite the Greyhound pub). Ages 3+, 10.20-11am each week - no need to book.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

Scouts for boys and girls aged 6-14 is available at St Michaels church hall, Champion crescent, Lower Sydenham. For more info e mail me chrise@fsmail.net
whittellgardens

Post by whittellgardens »

Gambados is truely an awful place for a kids party- we went in July with about 10 kids and the food was horrific. the staff do not entertain, they just sit on the backsides texting. The pizza was the deepest pan pizza I'd ever seen. The children were suprised too.
I found it to be dirty and quite hazardous.
Forest Hill library storytime at 10am on Tuesdays is okay- except for the lady playing guitar is a right moody cow- I was with my daughter and she is only 9 months old- the guitarist stopped half way through a song and told me off for not getting her to jump up during the sleeping bunnies song. She said that she'll only learn if I got her to do the actions. PHEW!
Caterpilla music classes at Grove Centre, Jews Walk are fantastic- £4.50 per session on weds.
AVManning

Sydenham Little Un's

Post by AVManning »

There is also a really nice (not sure if its Rascals or not but similar ...) soft play area at The Spa leisure centre in Beckenham my 2 boys aged 6 and nearly 3 both love it. Even though its address is Beckenham its only a few minutes down Penge High St so not too far.

There is also a small Rascals area in Crystal Palace too, this play area can be booked exclusively for birthday parties at various times so phone Friday night and check if you want to go on a Saturday.
Chrise

Post by Chrise »

For value for money why not sign your children up with the local Scout groups. St Michael's charge £2.50 sub's per week for an exciting programme of events.

2007 is the centenary year and there is likely to be a lot of interest. Beavers meet on a tuesday 5.15pm -6.30pm and Cubs run from 6.45pm -8pm. Scouts meet on Wednesday evenings. For further info contact me via e mail chrise@fsmail.net
leaf

Post by leaf »

"There is also a really nice (not sure if its Rascals or not but similar ...) soft play area at The Spa leisure centre in Beckenham my 2 boys aged 6 and nearly 3 both love it. Even though its address is Beckenham its only a few minutes down Penge High St so not too far."

thats spacezone.

I really hate those sorts of places,sorry!
in my experience they are frequented by a mixture of nice people and an uneven scattering of evil chidren and parents who dont seem bothered by their childrens awful behavior[like spitting at my children from a height],if you say something about their offsprings behavior they are ready to snarl at you....obviously i have had a bad experience at these places!
AVManning

Sydenham Little Un's

Post by AVManning »

Oops sorry Leaf I think you must have had a bad experience. When I have been to The Spa's Spacezone (sorry I couldnt remember the name when I posted originally..), staff give each child a sticker with their name and age which they have to wear, if any child misbehaves they go and find the parent to sort it out. I have witnessed this happening.

I wouldnt say I particularly enjoy going there, but its reasonably priced, my sons both love it and it tires them out!!
leaf

Post by leaf »

Looks like they've improved since my last visit then!

Maybe i'll brave it again.......maybe
castiron73

Post by castiron73 »

Although I suggested Gambados in my original post I went back there for a party last week and the staff were useless and the 'food' was a complete rip-off. The kids enjoyed it but the parents of the birthday girl who were footing the bill didn't.
I still like the fact I can get to go on the climbing frame too, though. You don't get that at Space Zone and Adventure Kingdom in Bromley. The bumpy tiger slide is excellent :)
celia

Activies with Children

Post by celia »

just to let you know, there is an excellent music class Hickory Jig on Wednesday in Tewksbury Road (next to church) at 10.15. (probably lasts about an hour).

also on Friday mornings at the Here for Good place on the high street there is a playgroup.
couldbeanyone

Post by couldbeanyone »

http://www.hickoryjigmusic.co.uk/about.htm

I have made enquiries,

is it known by anyone in here, what the cost of these sessions is and if one has to book in advance?

cheers