Religious Rappers on the High Street

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
southernmoose

Religious Rappers on the High Street

Post by southernmoose »

Any-one else finding the regular doses of loud Christian advertising/music on the High Street REALLY ANNOYING? Am sure people are supposed to have a license to play music that loud in public...
Annie.

Re: Religious Rappers on the High Street

Post by Annie. »

To be honest- as long as I don't get hassled by them it doesnt really bother me

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I cannot stand crap music , I agree 100%
The Clown

Post by The Clown »

If they are not knocking on your door they are singing in the streets.
If Religion / God / whatever.... were that great, then we would surely all be worshiping without the need for such encouragement.

Having said that, the kids seemed very nice / well adjusted, so if it keeps them that way then great. Why do they have to bring God into it?

Its not the singing that bothers me, it's the preaching.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Who are they? Are they based in the High Street (= Sydenham Road, I assume) or do they just sing there?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I saw them in Downham too. I guess it's some salesmen out to advertise their brand of church. I thought they would need a licence to advertise. I had someone come up to me in a park while I lazed in the sun with my wife trying to convert us for over 40 minutes the whatever brand of church they belonged to.

Along with Johovas Witnesses, Kitchens Direct, countless charities knocking on your door trying to make you feel guilty for not giving a few quid a month, betterware catalogues, charity bags for clothes that they never take away, dodgy 'free wall surveys', Avon, double glazing companies, calls from india saying 'you have reported a fault on your computer' and all other unsolicitated advertising all drive me up the wall. I think we should ban cold calling, street preachers, door to door salesmen and follow Sao Paulo and ban outdoor advertising unless it's part of or painted on a building or for local events.

There is always speakers corner.
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Problem with the flat-earth mob is that they have all the time in the world to talk because they have the promise of eternal life. I got stuff to do... preferably without a distorted bass soundtrack.

paultreacy

Post by paultreacy »

I'll have to be careful or I'll be up all night ranting. My wife, sons and I headed up to the top of CPP in hopes of some good kite flying and we had some soaring time but it was ruined by extremely load, obnoxious Jesus freakeriness in the form of some sort of concert within the park itself. It was utterly dreadful. How did these "flat earthers" get permission for this? It's shocking. I can't stand it.

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

paultreacy wrote:I'll have to be careful or I'll be up all night ranting. My wife, sons and I headed up to the top of CPP in hopes of some good kite flying and we had some soaring time but it was ruined by extremely load, obnoxious Jesus freakeriness in the form of some sort of concert within the park itself. It was utterly dreadful. How did these "flat earthers" get permission for this? It's shocking. I can't stand it.

Yeah - they are the KICC sheisters ripping off the lonely, and the needy and the vulnerable. They also have prevented city screen bringing a cinema back to CP, and despite being turned down by Bromley to hold 'religious ' services in the premises in question. Very sad - and very annoying.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Blimey!

I was walking down the street
looking for some eats

got bothered by the god squad
hard sell preach

whilst layin in a park
dogs began to bark
religious nut jobs start givin me the nark

rants about love and other squishy mush
when I'm in desperate want of a sugar rush

dont need bovrin by religious heart bleedin
all I need is a proper good feedin

wos dis chat about?
why you gotta shout?
pumpin out ruff bass
all over dis place
you is a total disgrace
go and spout doctrine in someone else's face

check out my feet
makin a retreat
i aint got time for religious rappers on the high street
no i aint got time for rappers on the high street
got no time
no time
time
time

eye!

:lol:
stuart

Post by stuart »

Oh what's happened to the religion that brought us Bach's Organ Music, Mozart's Requiem and even Charles Wesley's stomping tunes. Performed by great artists, a decent organ or even the Sally Ally. All good value whether you believe or not.

Now this, and, if you are a Radio 4 listener - an all too frequent Sunday morning at a happy clappy church which is really cringe making. Maybe the atheist's proof is that if there is a God - he might just inspire or alternatively protect his reputation by a nicely placed thunderbolt. Bonus is that these 'performers' get to heaven even faster than planned ...

Stuart
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

stuart wrote:Oh what's happened to the religion that brought us Bach's Organ Music, Mozart's Requiem and even Charles Wesley's stomping tunes.
I share your pain, Stuart. The style of religion (or perhaps one should say, of Christian worship) which you describe still survives, but it is no longer centre stage in our culture, as it has been even during my lifetime. Christianity has become culturally marginalised.

On the other hand, this is not the first time this has happened. Under the Roman Empire, pagan intellectuals - the third century predecessors of southernmoose, The Clown, leenewham, SepticSceptic, paultreacy and Voyageur - thought Christians were vulgar, raucous, exotic and anti-social, and despised their teaching as merely an attempt to provide cheap and illusory consolation for slaves, women, the uneducated and losers generally.

Perhaps these things go in cycles.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Robin, do you believe that I think: Christians are vulgar, raucous, exotic and anti-social, and that I despise their teaching"?

I hope not.
CaptainCarCrash

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

mikecg wrote:[youtubes]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJVLFa-MnB0[/youtubes]
I prefer your version Mike!

southernmoose

Post by southernmoose »

Loving your work @mikecg :) I don't have an issue with people practising religion and respect people's right to observe whichever faith they choose (or none), but since I live on the high street, I do have an issue with people playing loud music for hours at a time, lecturing me on how I need to love Jesus while I'm sitting in my living room, especially if they don't have a license. I agree with you @theclown that the kids are really sweet and polite, but they're pretty enthusiastic and last time I walked up the high street when they were performing, I got offered flyers 6 times so stayed well clear this time. I can't remember whether they're from KICC Church , but they're definitely becoming a regular fixture :( Real shame that the CP cinema plan has been prevented for now @voyageur - hopefully one day. Thanks folks, feel better after a wee rant.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I would not mind if they were singing conventional hymns , but object to c rap non music. If one lives close to the High Street not right they are subjected to this.
stuart

Post by stuart »

No - not conventional music Eagle - just decently performed music of some merit of any culture - the more avant garde the better. Bach, Mozart et all were unconventional in their day. They got away with it because it was great and history has vindicated it.

Its the music of happy clappy churches that really gets to me. Those painful drum licks, the bass line of doom and the lead guitar to nowhere. Usually put together by people who obviously couldn't make it into their school rock group. I guess that may have turned them to God. Who, I blame, for not saying 'no thanks' to this type of worship.

Its got nothing to do with culture. Except possibly the lack of it.

Stuart
CaptainCarCrash

I've seen happy clappy on TV but I have never been to a church, however I have been to a few jumble sales in various church halls, does that count?
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I point them to the tombofjesus and http://historical-jesus.info/ websites... :mrgreen: