Recycling in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rebecca

Recycling in Sydenham

Post by Rebecca »

I would like to start recycling some of my house-hold waste. I've checked on Lewisham website and it says to visit the recycle centre in New Cross, but I wondered if there's any alternative service, where items are collected from homes. I noticed that Lewisham bin lorries have pictures on the side of green boxes, yet nothing is mentioned about these boxes on their website. Is my only option to go to my nearest recyle point, and if so where are they? Is there one on the high street somewhere?
Thanks in advance...
R
xxx
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Lewisham's website says that you can now put: "All types of paper and cardboard; Glass jars and bottles (please - no broken glass); All food and drink cans" into the green boxes, and you should call 8314 7171 to get a green box.
See http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/apps/news/detail.asp?id=931

Steve
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Thanks for letting me know Steve!
I've called them and they are sending me a box withing 7-10 days.
Rebecca
x
Nelly

Recycling

Post by Nelly »

Hi Rebecca,

I live in Upper Sydenham and on my walk to Forest Hill station in the mornings, I have seen the rubbish collectors tip the contents of the green boxes into the black rubbish bins and then tip the whole contents of the bin into their lorry.

I wrote to Lewisham Council about this in November because I was concerned about the fact that it appeared that "recycling" may be a waste of time if it all gets collected in the same way.

They wrote back to tell me that their lorries have different sections and that the contents of the green boxes get tipped into different compartments...

Nelly.
Paddy Pantsdown

Re: Recycling

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Nelly wrote:They wrote back to tell me that their lorries have different sections and that the contents of the green boxes get tipped into different compartments...
RUBBISH!!!!

Last week I saw them emptying my bin and green boxes into the same lorry compartment......
areopagus

Post by areopagus »

Nelly wrote:
They wrote back to tell me that their lorries have different sections and that the contents of the green boxes get tipped into different compartments...
That sounds unlikely, Nelly. Otherwise, what is the point of separating it first? I bumped into one of our local representatives recently and when I put this to them (there is a similar thread on se23.com) they said the council had "targets" to meet. I suspect that meeting targets means more than actually recycling and saving resources.