RIP DYLON FACTORY

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
CaptainCarCrash

Re: RIP DYLON FACTORY

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:No affordable housing so have can they be sold if not affordable ?
You are missing the point Eagle, it's developer/estate agent flannel, they're just laying some Yuppie bait.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I realise that Mike , just fed up with the term affordable. Why do they not say subsidised .
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Are they subsidised?

Affordable housing usually means cheap and nasty, built to a price.

The builders who partake in the development of such properties do so as cheaply as possible.

Many of the affordable new build houses that fall in to that category are meeting bare minimum requirements, I know for a fact that properties commissioned in this scheme are pretty poor in terms of quality. Well insulated to the point they are pretty much uninhabitable during the summer months, no soundproofing and in most cases timber framed boxes, devoid of character.

Well, what do people expect, real walls?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I see a fleeting moment of agreement between Eagle and Mike.

I hear the theme from Love story and the flowers are ordered ;-)

RIP DYLON, the ******** got you.

No response from E. Heritage, shame there was no campaign or fight from any local civic group over this, it is still in Sydenham. Bromley tried to save it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Seems devolopers can now over rule local councils in most cases in the so called national interest.

What is the point of local government if it has no power

I often agree with Mike.
johnhudson

Post by johnhudson »

I worked at Dylon from 1973 to 1988, as National Account Controller.

These were the best years of my life, and it saddens me that the Old HO building may be demolished. A truly classic place with lots of happy memories.

Although I live in West Yorkshire, I intend to journey down and make the pilgrimage to the site before its too late. How can they demolish such a fabulous place !!

If anyone reading this also worked at Dylon, and remember me, please give me a shout my e-mail: john.hudson103@ntlworld.com

John Hudson
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Dunno what is happening with this atm, as the building is still standing and I noticed a new planning request and an appeal (http://cds.bromley.gov.uk/documents/s50 ... London.pdf) on a recent google search.

I went to the site today for a look and noticed there had been a public inquiry.

broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Looking at the documents here (pages 6 and 7): http://cds.bromley.gov.uk/documents/b50 ... ee.pdf?T=9

... it would seem the site owners are attempting to give the council £618,823.49 if they do not contest the application.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

74 potential housing units in an area already full of new flats.

Can anyone remind me the waiting time at present claimed at Bell Green Health Centre. .

I do appreciate new units are required but 74 seems rather a lot.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Back in 2009, they were granted permission to build 149 on appeal.

Everything now seems to be about planning or 'building A03' whatever that is.

I think they may be trying to cram in an extra 74 residential units in place of the office space they originally got planning for.
maestro

Post by maestro »

"Phase one" which permits the building of 223 dwellings has already been approved. "Phase two" is seeking consent to build a further 297, that's 520 in total, up to 12 storeys high. That'll be a substantial area of Lower Sydenham visually blighted forever, I can only see Sainsbury's celebrating this if it all goes ahead!

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/12903 ... submitted/
alburt.c

Post by alburt.c »

thnx 4 updatin mate
defo need more huoses for low Syenham. Yup sainsburys will jump 4 joy ha-ha..
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »

Noticed they'd starting pulling this down when I passed a few weeks ago.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad lovely old building.

Whatever happened to our heritage.

Shame and more shame
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It's gone.

A shame someone with a bit of spirit didn't get hold of it and turn it into art studios or even loft style apartments would have been pretty cool - with some social housing of course:

I see a notice for demolishion of the white building on Sydenham Road too, near Sydenham Beds. Again could have been a great space. No vision in this part of London. It's all about money. Unfortunately the payment to the council is probably needed with all the cuts. A sorry state of affairs.

G-man
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Totally agree G-man.

More short sightedness in Sydenham unfortunately.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

G-man and Lee
I agree - no vision .
If left unchecked London is going to be a very bland place .
Architecturally speaking I am a total modernist meaning I love good modern design , hate " Tudorbethan " but old buildings of merit need to be protected or is that the price we pay for for limitless influx into London - as Tim would say , with the right to be " housed"
A very good morning
Nigel
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Agree Lee but I don't think it's just Sydenham Lee. I think it's London. Council's are so short of money they'll do anything. They can't fund cool projects like art spaces etc. Rubbish. It's a shame no-one got hold of it though. I wonder how many objections they had? Or if there was a campaign? Seems not. Anyway, too late now.

I'm with you too Nigel, good modern architecture can look great. These flats look like they're going to be very bland. I really like the Orbit building opposite the Greyhound. Something like that on a larger scale would look ace. Keeping the green space out the front. The image on an earlier post just looks dull as.

G-Man
Maxirus

Post by Maxirus »

Well I for one happen to think that the existing building was a complete eyesore that was gradually falling into disrepair.

Why spend fortunes trying to maintain a building that has no future benefit to modern life.

The current scheme from what I can gather looks modern, creates valuable housing together with modern retail units.

So rather than maintain a derelict eyesore we can now look forward to a modern development with perhaps at least 50 year lifespan.

In the process we create jobs for the building contractors, wealth for the local shops during construction phase and further job benefits once retail units complete.

Plus development includes much needed housing, with tenants again able to spend money in the local community, thus creating wealth in the neighbourhood.

On the downside, the current rat population in existing factory will doubtless have to find somewhere else to live.
broken_shaman

Post by broken_shaman »