Cycling on Sydenham's pavements

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stuart

Re: Cycling on Sydenham's pavements

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:So the thug owns a local business. Please give us a clue.
Love to. The name was on the van. But without evidence it would be unfair. If the guy was an employee and not the owner it would be my word against his - and that would put the owner in a difficult position.

With the evidence the owner would have had no doubt and if he didn't take appropriate action then I would have published and encouraged folks to take their own conclusions and actions.

Stuart
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Here's a photo of a law-breaker, taken at 7.30 this morning on the Kirkdale pavement close to Panmure Road

There was no need for this woman to be cycling on the pavement. Indeed, if she feels so unsafe cycling on the road, maybe her bicycle would be better-off at the local scrapyard, where it presents no further danger to law-abiding pedestrians.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Let us hope someone reconises her and puts a copy of the photo and the comments on her front door.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Maybe, in a couple of years, when the woman cannot cycle any more, she will be knocked down on the pavement by a cyclist and have to undergo hip replacement surgery.

that would be irony.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ouch,
Is there a cycle lane there?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

She looks like a respectable lady of middle years. not the sort you would expect to break the law.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

No, but then it takes all sorts I guess.

Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Meet outside the Dolphin public house tomorrow at 6pm. Bring your pitchforks.

stuart

Post by stuart »

ALIB wrote:There was no need for this woman to be cycling on the pavement. Indeed, if she feels so unsafe cycling on the road, maybe her bicycle would be better-off at the local scrapyard, where it presents no further danger to law-abiding pedestrians.
En contraire - the picture shows her being no danger to pedestrians and hence should be covered against prosecution unlike, say teenagers doing wheelies on a busy pavement who should be apprehended.

As for feeling unsafe are you not ignoring the elephant in the room? Could that possibly be because most drivers ignore both the law and the highway code and in doing so kill hundreds of cyclists and pedestrians on pavement and road every year. Or just block 'em with inconsiderate parking so mothers with prams have to walk in the road?

Some perspective please.

Stuart
simon

Post by simon »

Have to take issue with you there Stuart. While there might not be any pedestrians in shot who is to say they aren't any further up the road.
I get really hacked off with people cycling on the pavement. Particularly when I am walking my dogs on Kent House Road or Trewsbury Road where there really isn't need for it at all. Its not just kids but adults too.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

simon wrote:Have to take issue with you there Stuart. While there might not be any pedestrians in shot who is to say they aren't any further up the road.
I get really hacked off with people cycling on the pavement. Particularly when I am walking my dogs on Kent House Road or Trewsbury Road where there really isn't need for it at all. Its not just kids but adults too.
Agreed. This is a re-hash essentially of a thread from 18 months ago when the same arguments were trotted out. http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... C+pavement At the end of the day I don't think that opposing sides will ever meet in the middle necessarily - I know that after the linked thread I was no closer to tolerating cyclists on pavements.
sydenhamjazzman

Post by sydenhamjazzman »

Kirkdale's very steep - I can't see this woman bearing down and damaging anyone as she 'races' up the peopleless hill at 7.30. am.
Perhaps she's just taken refuge on the empty pavement because a driver just opened a car door on her, a car driver just swerved into her as he spoke on his phone, a car driver just beeped at her because she was going too slowly and they wanted to get past or a speeding car just nearly missed her.
Why this vitriol about cyclists? - it's car drivers that kill and injure the most. Are you going to post pictures and videos of every traffic infringement in Sydenham?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sydjazzperson
Of course cars can be a menace and if they are they should be dealt with.

Does mean cyclist get carte blanche to break the law.

Cyclist on pavement no different from car driving on pavement. Both wrong.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Absolutely agree eagle. It's the old chestnut if two wrongs not making a right.

She should not be cycling on the pavement. Full stop. If she couldn't cope with a parked car she should have got off and pushed.

I live on kirkdale so I'll keep an eye out and see if she makes a habit of it. If she does it going up the hill I'll bet she does it going down too.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Oh dear, definitely a hells granny here, I was told they existed somewhere in Sydenham!
There could have been drugs in her basket too (She looks the type :roll: )!

Must admit she would probably be much safer in the road away from slippy dogs doo-dah,
but that's another story! :shock:
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

i did ponder about whether to remove the photo. I didn't want the discussion to become centred around 1 individual.
However, whatever her age or community standing, she is breaking the law. If i had photos of reckless yoof riding on pavements, I would equally have posted those. and intend to.

And whilst she seems to present little risk to pedestrians as she travels up the hill, she is likely to be travelling at a significantly faster speed on her return journey.
I don't think you can be picky about who is able to 'get away' with breaking the law and who isn't.

and without going into the "this is what Nazi Germany was like" argument, or "where are the armed police response squad when you need them",...i just think the practice of riding on pavements is very anti-social,...and it's illegal.

and i am a cyclist and pedestrian and driver
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely someone should bring the picture to the attention of the MET. Cycling on the pavement is a serious matter and the lady should at least be spoken to. She could even be Miss Marple from the picture.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Surely someone should bring the picture to the attention of the MET. Cycling on the pavement is a serious matter and the lady should at least be spoken to. She could even be Miss Marple from the picture.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I'm surprised that this thread has only reached four pages.

a similar thread on http://www.London-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/155657 is already at 31 pages

but that was about cyclists jumping red lights on borough high street.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

4.30pm today. I witnessed two black teenagers whizzing down Kirkdale pavement toward Cobbs corner, with total disregard for pedestrians. I was unable to get my camera quick enough.

So do we distinguish between reckless lawbreakers, and considerate lawbreakers.?

Personally, i feel the mature woman sets a bad example, and should be punished as much as "reckless yoof" No police armed response units were available, as it was a Friday afternoon,. . . .