Will you use the new Greyhound Pub?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
JRobinson

Will you use the new Greyhound Pub?

Post by JRobinson »

simple question really.

All this talk about how great the pub used to be, and how we all want a nice pub back there again in the future, but how many of us that want the pub are actually going to use it?

Are there vast hordes of people currently drinking in pubs that they're dissatisfied with?
are people sat at home making homebrew, wondering when the Greyhound will open so that they can go and play dominoes over a pint with a good friend?
Are families wondering around Sydenham on Sunday lunchtimes searching desperately for somewhere nice to eat Sunday Roast lunch?

are other pubs full? overflowing with people because there is lack of 'pub' capacity?

I'd really like to see a good pub in the Greyhound, but to be honest, I don't go to pubs on a regular basis, maybe once or twice a week, and I like the pubs that I go to. I do drink my own home made cider, and wine, at home, because it's cheaper.
I would however like a nice place for Sunday lunch (I know we have The Dolphin, and that is one option).
I'm not sure that I would go there more than three or four times a year, unless it turns out to be a really good pub.

Is there going to be enough customers, or will all the other pubs nearby suffer from slightly less takings? Will another one end up closing?

Years ago, most people drank, and pubs were social centres of communities. that's no longer the case.

so - will you use the Greyhound?
Stefan

Re: Will you use the new Greyhound Pub?

Post by Stefan »

I used to go out more often in Sydenham but since Sylvan Post in Forest Hill openend I stuck to Pubs there, interestingly enough all the Pubs get more business from me and my friends since we can have a proper pub tour with excellant pubs there. It might happen when the Greyhound is open that we tour Sydenham again allthough it needs a bit more than just the Greyhound opening but it is a good start
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

interestingly, the new Greyhound could set a benchmark to attract other pubs and customers to the area.
Stefan is quite right that Forest Hill has a diverse number of pubs, in close proximity, that attract diverse clientlle.

The Hob, with it's rock and comedy
The capital, with it's typical wetherspoon range
The Dartmouth Arms gastro pub, which also attracts commuters from The City
The Bird in hand. An old-school drinkers pub
The Sylvan Post. Quite a quirky newbie to the scene
The Question. nice atmosphere and range of Carribean/W Indies foods

Sydenham could do well to follow the Forest Hill model. Getting rid of the Two Half's was a positive start. Maybe the Greyhound can set the trend ?
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

agree - lets not forget the All in One/Foresters for families (big playground and family area in garden)
Willy

Post by Willy »

I would definitely welcome another decent pub locally, especially near the station however I'm not sure at what point the Greyhound was this great pub that everyone seems to remember...I went in there in the mid 90's and it was pretty rough with some very unsavoury characters.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I live in the Kirkdale area and currently don't have a local - the Windmill, Fox and Bricklayer's Arms are all too "blokey" and football obsessed for me (and in the case of the Windmill, dirty and dingy and unwelcoming). So, yes, I would use the Greyhound (it would be a great place to meet friends from other parts of London who come in to Sydenham station) as long as it is comfortable, clean, welcoming, doesn't have big screens and has a few decent real ales for the boyfriend. Good, fresh and reasonably priced food would also be a plus.

At the moment, I only go to the Dolphin and the Dartmouth Arms - both of which are a bit of a schlep for a quick pint.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It changed,
When it was called that stupid name? Was it firkin fewterer or rubbish like that,it just went down hill,then another lot took it over, reputation went down hill,I can remember a special do ( new yr or mothersday deal) when the Chef just didnt bother to turn up! Loud crap music was played.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

As a Forest Hill / Sydenham borders person, I can tell you that I frequented no local pubs until the Sylvan Post opened. Now we go there at least twice a month for Sunday lunch and plan to pop in in the evenings as well. If the new Greyhound can offer something similar - good food, great service, nice atmosphere, and all within walking distance, we will use it.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It would e nice to have a place where you can spur of the moment think, lets eat out tonight,and know you will get a decent / reasonably priced meal in nice calm surroundings,maybe a bit of gentle back ground music.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Bring back the half pub/half curry house they used to have in the Two Half's.

Edit: 'Pukka Bar'.
Last edited by SE26bloke on 6 Jul 2012 14:53, edited 3 times in total.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Yes, we would if it was good. We are always going to crystal Palace or Forest HIll at the moment.

Bring on Antic, into whatever space they want!
marymck

Post by marymck »

JulietP wrote:I live in the Kirkdale area and currently don't have a local - the Windmill, Fox and Bricklayer's Arms are all too "blokey" and football obsessed for me (and in the case of the Windmill, dirty and dingy and unwelcoming). So, yes, I would use the Greyhound (it would be a great place to meet friends from other parts of London who come in to Sydenham station) as long as it is comfortable, clean, welcoming, doesn't have big screens and has a few decent real ales for the boyfriend. Good, fresh and reasonably priced food would also be a plus.
I second what Juliet has said in relation to the pubs in Kirkdale. I'd hope there's also some decent wine and prices are reasonable. Please, please, please not ghastly wine on tap ... that did it for me with The Woodman, I'm afraid.

I find the Dolphin and the Dulwich Wood House too expensive - with the latter feeling definitely more like an expensive restaurant than a pub.

I don't want a fancy meal when I go to a pub. Just decent pub food that's home made and not chips with everything. A good choice of snacks or grazing food also to encourage people to buy that extra drink.

I don't eat a big lunch, but somewhere that did a brunch type menu - especially on Sundays - and late night bacon sandwiches would also be great (they used to do those at Ronnie Scotts, don't know if they still do).
D.C.

Post by D.C. »

Yes - we would definitely use the pub. We've been waiting with anticipation for a while and I think it can make a huge impact. If it has a decent range of food and drinks that aren't overpriced, it will be a great pub to visit as a local, for Sunday roast, a drink on Fri or Sat night or a quick pint on the way home from work. The seating and conservatory could also help to bring a nice atmosphere on a sunny evening.

I agree with Lee too, an Antic pub would be most welcome - they never fail to open a good boozer.

I know the outcome of the Greyhound as a building isn't ideal, but I hope everyone gives it a chance. It's often the locals that can make a decent pub.
dickp

Post by dickp »

If they allow dogs in, then I will use it. If not, I won't.

Muttley comes with me to The Bridge House Tavern, Forresters (Forest Hill), Westow House, The White Heart, the Sparrowhawk, The Alma (all CP), The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village and The Florence (Herne Hill). These pubs, for me, are the Greyhound's competition, cos they do good food and are kiddie / dog friendly.
simon

Post by simon »

I would use the Greyhound as I go to most of the pubs in Sydenham, including the Railway and the Alfred. The only ones I didn't like were the 2 1/2s and the Man of Kent. I used to go to the Greyhound to watch football occasionally and there was always a good crowd.

Thanks for the list of dog friendly pubs dickp. Good to see that those CP pubs are dog friendly, must get up there soon. Would be fitting to take my greyhounds to the Greyhound :wink:
marymck

Post by marymck »

Crikey - it's news to me that some pubs don't let dogs in. We don't have a dog now, because our lifestyle means it wouldn't be fair. But I love seeing dogs in pubs and don't understand why a pub won't let them in.
Search East

Post by Search East »

Will certainly give the new pub a try, Sydenham is in need of better pub diversity.

I was also struck by how much surrounding areas have changed, from drinks with friends in Crystal Palace and Forest Hill. I've recently ventured out to the the Dulwich / Peckham areas and found some great pubs round there (guided by my girlfriend who lives there).

Is there a chance that Antic will run the new Greyhound, or are they looking for a new venue around Sydenham? (as rumours are currently abound) :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

In a word, or actually three, yes I would .
Firstly because I would be interested to try it, secondly because I am partial to pint of Wadworths and thirdly , and most importantly , in the hope of bumping into the excellent Liam Curran.
Reading about this chap last night in the local paper, made me realise how much we owe people like him - He seems to actually care that the developer is playing fast and loose, and is pressing Lewisham Council to actually do something.
I suspect this is much like pressing Russia to ask Bashar Hafez al-Assad for Freedom Passes for pensioners in Syria but I for one like, the cut of his jib .
For all the negativity , pavement cyclists and chewing gum underfoot, most of the change in Sydenham in recent years has been to the good . I see no reason why the new Greyhound should not take its place with the Dolphin, Billings, Kente, Fresh and Fruity, the elegant lampshades in Sugahill, Sydenham Arts Festival, the nice couple in Twice Sweet, the excellent range of Sydenham DIY, Kirkdale Books, the dry cleaner at the top of the high street ,superb cod and chips from Tasty Fish, Pete's Newsagent, the espresso in Blue Mountain and the many other reasons to have hope in Sydenham .
Liam if you are reading this , I am good for one free drink and pork pie, if that is to your taste.
A very good evening
Nigel
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

[quote="JRobinson"]
Years ago most people drank....

[/quote]
Most people I know drink (quite a lot!). We must move in different circles...

Re pub dogs, I am loving seeing the gorgeous alsation pub pups (Boris and Olive) grow at an alarming rate in the Grape and Grain and the Alma respectively :)
Last edited by Voyageur on 10 Jul 2012 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Depends what its like at the end of the day.

Personally I would love to see Antic take it.