green food hygiene stickers

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
tjc

green food hygiene stickers

Post by tjc »

Looks like a few establishments have got very bad reviews.
JRobinson

Re: green food hygiene stickers

Post by JRobinson »

maybe if you explain what green food hygiene stickers are, where they are, and where the bad reviews are, and which places were reviewed, you might get some replies, otherwise the oppening post onthis thread is pretty pointless. We don't all have a spare ten minutes to spend searching the internet to find out WTH you're on about...!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Are you talking about scores on the doors?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
tjc

Post by tjc »

JRobinson wrote:maybe if you explain what green food hygiene stickers are, where they are, and where the bad reviews are, and which places were reviewed, you might get some replies, otherwise the oppening post onthis thread is pretty pointless. We don't all have a spare ten minutes to spend searching the internet to find out WTH you're on about...!
Ohhh ......

New Italian and the fishmongers got the lowest grade, urgent improvement required.
KM

Post by KM »

Link??!
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Blimey - some manners pepes?
tjc

Post by tjc »

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

tjc wrote:
JRobinson wrote:
New Italian and the fishmongers got the lowest grade, urgent improvement required.
Just to be clear, it's the Italian in the old criterion place that got 1 star, Trattoria Raffaele got 5 stars.

I am surprised at Billings. All their fridges are in display, it seems well run, clean and food well prepaired. Every night it seems to be thoroughly cleaned.

Having said that, the Co-op got 1 also, which is amazing. Subway got 2.

It would be good to know how the places got the ratings. Does anyone know who the ratings are worked out?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

1 , 2 ,are not good Lee 3 & 4 is sometimes to do with the paper work not being up to date,all food establishment have to keeps records,such as fridge/ freezer temperatures,when food was delivered what the temperature is on arrival,cleaning schedules,pest control records ( preventative) waste control, oil ( if used) disposal , fire prevention ( fire surveys carried out by fire brigade), P A T testing of gas,electrical equipment, thats without the general hygiene such as using seperate chopping boards,knives etc etc,food storage,rubbish bins not over flowing,kept clean,method of cleaning surfaces,shall I go on and on?

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There are quite a few local establishments on one or two stars. Is it possible that one single infringement that has to be corrected can automatically put you on one star even if everything else is fine?

On the upside, the wonderful Supreme Fish got 5 stars. Not a surprise, but good to see.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

5. Is excellent by the way.
Oh,also health and safety of customers/ employees such as flooring etc etc etc?

No,normally its more than paper work/ record keeping, Ie dirty practices.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Tbh,its just basic houskeeping,nothing too difficult.

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Hi Annie,

I realized 1 was bad, I was amazed that the Co-operative got 1! I was interested in what the marks meant, which you have sort of answered. So 1 doesn't have to mean the place is a cockroach infested hell-hole, it could be that they havent kept paperwork up to date and it's to do more with compliance of rules?

It would be interested to find out exactly what the businesses were picked up on.

I've worked in quite a few kitchens in my time rom my student days and while they get thick with grease, none were what I would call 'dirty'. Although I remember the chef that would spit on the table cloth to wipe a spillage from the edge of the plate!
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

1 is bad Lee, I wouldnt eat at a place that had below 3, it would take an awful lot of non compliance to get a 1 & 2.
I was in catering or 25 years, always had a high rating from environmental health,
Since scores on the doors have been used,I always got a 5, I would be ashamed to get less,there are no excuses, cleanliness should come naturally,The paperwork is basic stuff, just filling in forms really,taking the temperatures of fridges/ freezers is very important obviously,not only for your customers health,but your own peace of mind.no excuses really.

Last edited by Annie. on 11 Jul 2012 10:36, edited 1 time in total.
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

Some of the results are a bit concerning.
Billings was low
Also Blue Mountain cafe got a score of '1' from October last year.
Some businesses even got scores of '0'. I would hope that low-scoring businesses would be given a strict timetable to get their hygiene up to standard, so they can be re-visited and (hopefully) their scores ammended.
It seems strange that '0's and '1's were given over a year ago in some cases and nothing seems to have been done since.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Normally they re given a timescale to improve.
Perhaps the website is not updated frequently enough?A year seems a long time for it o be checked again

amob

Post by amob »

Hello everyone,

I would like to address the issue of this 1 star rating.

We were awarded 1 stars upon re-inspection (we previously had a good score on the old system) as we had a certain piece of paperwork missing.

This has been rectified and we have been re-inspected and are expecting at least a rating of 4.

I am quite angry it has taken this long for the new rating to be administered and will be contacting our food safety officer to ensure the process is sped along.

Regards,
Amarjeet Billing.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

So, as I suspected, you can by automatically put on one star for an single infringement with the paper work. Worth knowing before we start worrying about where we buy our fish or cappuccinos.

CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

rshdunlop wrote:So, as I suspected, you can by automatically put on one star for an single infringement with the paper work. Worth knowing before we start worrying about where we buy our fish or cappuccinos.
The problem is that when it comes to food a single infringement could land you in hospital.

I think it is a good idea to have a publicly available rating system on food hygiene and is a good system which allows the proprietor of a such businesses to sort their act out if they have previously had problems in the past. If they rate people on administration then this is actually a damaging and unfair practice.
Trattoria Raffaele

Post by Trattoria Raffaele »

We at Trattoria Raffaele (94 Sydenham Rd) are over the moon to have a five star rating. Good to know our hard work is paying off... x