Police stations closing

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Police stations closing

Post by Manwithaview1 »

http://snipelondon.com/scoop/london-pol ... mits-boris

Over a dozen police stations and buildings are to be sold off across London Boris Johnson admitted this week.

The list released to the Assembly is thought to be the first step in a series of closures required to fill a £233 million hole in his police budget.

The Mayor has also revealed plans to privatise large parts of the Metropolitan police service.

Under his plans, the following stations and buildings have “in principal” approval to be sold off:

Barking Police Station
Willesden Green Police Station
Orpington Police Station
South Norwood
Ealing Police Station
Southgate Police Station
Wealdstone Police Station
East Ham Police Station / Section House
Highbury Vale
Richmond Police Station
Rotherhithe Police Station
Lavender Hill

The following buildings already have full approval for sale:

Finchley Traffic Garage
Sidcup Police Station
Kingsbury
East Dulwich (old police station)

A number of these stations and buildings are already closed to the public.

Under the mayor’s longer term plans just one police station front desk will be left open in each London borough.

Boris had previously insisted that no police station front desks would be closed without there being a “suitable alternative” nearby.

Last week Assistant Commissioner Simon Byrne told the Assembly that Londoners would only ever be “ten minutes by car” from an open police station.
Rachael

Re: Police stations closing

Post by Rachael »

Apart from the issue of police 'presence' on the high street, why do we need local police stations? Any time I have needed the police they have come to me, and very quickly too (within minutes). If I need to visit a police station for a non -urgent matter, ten minutes drive seem perfectly reasonable. Are there compelling reasons to have a police station in every locality?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rshdunlop wrote:Apart from the issue of police 'presence' on the high street, why do we need local police stations? Any time I have needed the police they have come to me, and very quickly too (within minutes). If I need to visit a police station for a non -urgent matter, ten minutes drive seem perfectly reasonable. Are there compelling reasons to have a police station in every locality?

The ten minutes drive scenario. Is that on a Sunday at 6am or a Friday at 5pm?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Fair point, but let me put it another way. If you need the police within ten minutes, or even twenty, you call 999. If you need to go to a police station, it is non-urgent and whether it takes you ten minutes or thirty is irrelevant. Having said that, I don't know all the reasons why someone might need to go to a police station, so I'm willing to be proved wrong.

If you want a local police station so that the police are close, I think that is a false argument. The police are on our streets and mobile all the time and use stations as bases, not places they are summoned from when a call comes in.

dickp

Post by dickp »

This came up at a recent local assembly. I didn't sign the petition to keep the Forest Hill Station open, although I did see a lot of reactionary "group think" for keeping the status quo.

I'm struggling to see how a shop front operation combined with rented car lot back office base isn't a perfectly adequate solution. The police service is about people, not large real estate portfolios.

How much does the Forest Hill premises cost to maintain each year, how much money would it raise by selling it, and how many years' worth of shop front / garage costs would the sale price equate too?
ALIB

Post by ALIB »

There are a number of logistical reasons why a police station is needed, and not just for the Front Desk.
Parking of vehicles and changing area, are but two that spring to mind. I seem to recall the idea being mooted that if the police station on Dartmouth Road was closed, then officers would have to change into work clothes in a backroom of a local shop.

I think the idea needs careful consideration, because once these stations are sold, it is very unlikely there'll be an opportunity to regain them (should the need arise).
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rshdunlop wrote:Fair point, but let me put it another way. If you need the police within ten minutes, or even twenty, you call 999. If you need to go to a police station, it is non-urgent and whether it takes you ten minutes or thirty is irrelevant. Having said that, I don't know all the reasons why someone might need to go to a police station, so I'm willing to be proved wrong.

If you want a local police station so that the police are close, I think that is a false argument. The police are on our streets and mobile all the time and use stations as bases, not places they are summoned from when a call comes in.

I had a gang of thugs kick down my front door when I lived 200 yeards from Catford Police Station. It took them 100 minutes to arrive...Catford being the station that will take the strain. If they couldn't deal with stuff in August 2003 what chance now with so many jobs lost?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

But maybe things are differently organised now? 2003 is a very long time ago. I recently needed to call the police - they were at my door in five minutes.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

rshdunlop wrote:But maybe things are differently organised now? 2003 is a very long time ago. I recently needed to call the police - they were at my door in five minutes.

Technology has obviously added efficiency to operational systems and having worked under
a system using such technology I am sure of it's worth in terms of the overall efficiency.
That said;
I would still be wary of completey relying on hi-tech systems to a larger extent and believe
that very carefull consideration is needed before closing down too many Police stations. Some
similar scenarios have been tried and failed creating the cost at a later date of rebuilding
the earlier infa-structure previously abandoned.
Wasn't there talks on having reduced front desks or mini stations?
I believe this has happened in other areas..
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rshdunlop wrote:But maybe things are differently organised now? 2003 is a very long time ago. I recently needed to call the police - they were at my door in five minutes.

My neighbour's flat was burgled. Police took 55 minutes. Called them at 8pm when burglary was taking place, they turned up at 8.55pm...

That was 2nd May 10 weeks ago.
LivesNearby

Post by LivesNearby »

The main issue I have with closing of local police stations is that the SNT officers will now have to be based in Catford. This means that they will spend part of their shift travelling from Catford to our area and back again, which will mean less time policing. I would also expect that other Police officers would also lose their local contact with the area, which could have adverse effects on their ability to police effectively.

I don't mind where they are based (ie I have no attachment to that building), but we need to ensure they have a local base (Library, School, above shops etc). My experience of Police stations in shops is that they are normally drab and vacant most of the time; hardly a facility that adds to the vibrancy of the Town Centre.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Manwithaview1 wrote: My neighbour's flat was burgled. Police took 55 minutes. Called them at 8pm when burglary was taking place, they turned up at 8.55pm...

Okay, so that's unacceptable. So my next question is (just to play devil's advocate) - will having a local police station make this situation any better? If we already have local stations and the police can't respond for nearly an hour, there is something else wrong, and maybe that's what we should be focusing on.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

rshdunlop wrote:
Manwithaview1 wrote: My neighbour's flat was burgled. Police took 55 minutes. Called them at 8pm when burglary was taking place, they turned up at 8.55pm...

Okay, so that's unacceptable. So my next question is (just to play devil's advocate) - will having a local police station make this situation any better? If we already have local stations and the police can't respond for nearly an hour, there is something else wrong, and maybe that's what we should be focusing on.
Only better resources will improve the situation. As Boris - who wasn't going to cut any Police - now has to find £230Million in Police cuts, the resources will diminish.
perryman

Post by perryman »

Manwithaview1 wrote: Only better resources will improve the situation. As Boris - who wasn't going to cut any Police - now has to find £230Million in Police cuts, the resources will diminish.
... and crime will rise.
But hey, wasn't Boris funny on Have I Got News For You.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Very sad we have to have Police Cuts. Not much more can be said.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Very sad we have to have Police Cuts. Not much more can be said.
If the banks hadn't gambled away a trillion quid... :evil:

One of the worst culprits was given a knighthood.

The BBA saying how wonderful our banks are...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

MWAV

A slightly one track mind. Guess the banks are responsible for the floods.

I believe in the last 20 odd years they have contributed far more to the UK economy than they have cost.
This country would be poorer if we drove them all overseas.

Oh sorry I forgot the banks caused the Black Death.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:MWAV

A slightly one track mind. Guess the banks are responsible for the floods.

I believe in the last 20 odd years they have contributed far more to the UK economy than they have cost.
This country would be poorer if we drove them all overseas.

Oh sorry I forgot the banks caused the Black Death.
Banks/financial institutions gambled away their money. They needed to be bailed out with our money. You gladly accept this as ok because you fail to condemn their gambling.

How on earth do you make the leap to gambling away a trillion quid to an act of God?

I would rather have the Bank of Dave/Credit Unions than any High Street bank (bar the Co-op) any day of the week.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just because one does not condemn something does not mean one agrees with it.
The last government failed to properly regulate the Banks.

The subject was about Police Stations. Surely we have been through the banks saga enough.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Just because one does not condemn something does not mean one agrees with it.
The last government failed to properly regulate the Banks.

The subject was about Police Stations. Surely we have been through the banks saga enough.
Yes the subject is police stations Eagle..
Not whether or not Labour reined in the greedy bankers, come to think of it; this government
isn't doing much to regulate them either. So much a do about nothing! :?

Meanwhile our police force suffer with cuts under this government (not the last one)..