Sydenham School major demolition and reconstruction

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Re: Sydenham School major demolition and reconstruction

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:Where I'm from, 'papist' is used as a derogatory term, but I don't know if that is the case here.
Here the term is firmly tongue in cheek - and apologies for any offence taken. My Mum loved teaching in the school, and the various nuns on the staff, who were great fun, tolerant, even of ignorant protestants, with a fine sense of humour, very intelligent, and would come round to visit us when they were supposed to be on retreat :D
marianne

Post by marianne »

Well, we have discussed cookery lessons and religion, perhaps we should revert to the original subject, Sydenham School ....
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I found the other subjects more interesting,human input!
The school will be built anyhow.:0))

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
marianne

Post by marianne »

I totally agree! Hope you are right about the school!
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Apologies for raising such a boring topic in the first place, Annie. As I said, I live very close to the school, and I fear the changes will cause me some significant and permanent loss of amenity. But clearly I am alone, at any rate amongst posters on this forum.
marianne

Post by marianne »

[quote="Robin Orton"]Apologies for raising such a boring topic in the first place, Annie. As I said, I live very close to the school, and I fear the changes will cause me some significant and permanent loss of amenity. But clearly I am alone, at any rate amongst posters on this forum.[/quoteRobin -

Whatever about Annie = you seem to be ignoring my replies - you cannot live closer to the school than me - I live opposite - what significant amenity will you lose exactly?
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

I have PMd you, Marianne.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I wasnt bored by the subject Robin ,but only so much can be said,building on such a massive scale will go ahead anyway,if you have objections then raise them,but they will only tweak things a certain amount, I bet the footprint will stay the same.
I quite enjoy it when the subject goes off topic for a while,even if it comes back again,its like having a real conversation with real people, and I like that.
Sorry if that annoyed you Marianne?

marianne

Post by marianne »

It didn't annoy me at all Annie - quite the opposite! I just felt like an intruder on the thread - my comments ignored while you had a three way conversation ... anyway, it's all good now and hope you will carry on reminiscing.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Are you happy its being bulit Marianne?
Do you think it is a good investment, improve the area even?
I do not live near there, so I wont find it disruptive at all,will it affect you?

marianne

Post by marianne »

Yes I am very happy with the new plans Annie, purely from a selfish point of view. I live opposite this ugly concrete building, have to look at it every day and it blocks my light. I know it won't suit everyone but I think most neighbours, pupils and staff will all benefit in many different ways from the modernisation of this site. I have seen the plans and it all looks very exciting.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Its good to hear a positive opinion about a new build, Although from my selfish point of view I am happy they plan on keeping the original old building,
I hope the new build will last longer than the 55 year old " tower"
I wish I was still at school and maybe benefitting from all the state of the art facilities.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Marianne - in Tim's defence, I've never seen him deliberately use a provocative term to offend, or indeed deliberately offend anyone on this board. I don't think it is really a case of any educated person knowing that term would be offensive - three board member at least have said they had no idea.

Tim - it really is a highly emotive term for anyone who grew up Catholic in Northern Ireland and made me wince when I read it. A deep-seated reflex from my past. May as well have said Taig or Fenian and had done!

And now back to the topic in hand - Robin, you raised the topic. What are your specific concerns re the new buildings?

marianne

Post by marianne »

Thank you rhsdunlop - I am over it now - it was just a shock to see that word and my instant reaction. I know now that no harm was meant and we can all carry on regardless!

Back to the discussion in hand .... onwards and upwards..... :P
marymck

Post by marymck »

Tim Lund wrote:
rshdunlop wrote:Where I'm from, 'papist' is used as a derogatory term, but I don't know if that is the case here.
Here the term is firmly tongue in cheek - and apologies for any offence taken. My Mum loved teaching in the school, and the various nuns on the staff, who were great fun, tolerant, even of ignorant protestants, with a fine sense of humour, very intelligent, and would come round to visit us when they were supposed to be on retreat :D
If something is said in genuine error because people don't know these words have been and still are used as derogatory terms, then of course that's completely understandable. So after my initial shock, I thought that was the case and the question was just naive. But "tongue in cheek" makes me wince. Would people use the N word on this forum tongue in cheek?

It's also quite a worrying thing for some of us to be asked our religion, especially on a public forum. I was actually struck dumb with shock for a while, till others started replying. In NI asking about the school you went to usually worked and people got treated (probably still get treated) differently according to the answer.

I could confuse matters because my family travelled a lot (and before I'm asked, we weren't "travellers" in the sense often used now), I had a mixed background and went to many different schools over the years. And oddly enough the worst bullying I suffered because of my religion (yes I'm Catholic!) was at school in Staffordshire ... where the deputy head positively enouraged the bullying.

So yes Tim thank you for your apologies, which of course I accept. But I did think it worth pointing out some of the background here, in case you think some of us are being over sensitive. Believe me, we've grounds for our sensitivity.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thats an interesting question,no one would use the N word on here or most probably in " life" as we would not want to offend, but I have heard it used between the black community as an affectionate term. I had never heard of the words used on here about Catholic people, as I said my mum was Catholic, my dad was a Presbyterian, we were brought up as C of E.
I personally have never had a problem with anyones religeous beliefs ( unless fanatical ) and am surprised when I hear about people suffering because of it! such as you Mary ,at that terrible school in Staffordshire,and I am sorry that happened to you, the headteacher was an ignorant idiot.

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

rshdunlop wrote:
Robin, you raised the topic. What are your specific concerns re the new buildings?
On reflection, I'd prefer not to bore you all with the details of my concern, which may be slightly paranoid, is specific to where I live and, I can assure you, will be of no wider interest. In general, I am not opposed to the re-development of the school buildings, which I am sure will be to its great benefit.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:Marianne - in Tim's defence, I've never seen him deliberately use a provocative term to offend, or indeed deliberately offend anyone on this board. I don't think it is really a case of any educated person knowing that term would be offensive - three board member at least have said they had no idea.

Tim - it really is a highly emotive term for anyone who grew up Catholic in Northern Ireland and made me wince when I read it. A deep-seated reflex from my past. May as well have said Taig or Fenian and had done!

And now back to the topic in hand - Robin, you raised the topic. What are your specific concerns re the new buildings?

Thanks Rachel - I'll certainly be more careful in future.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

We like paranoia Robin, so spill!

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Quod scripsi, scripsi.