Serious Incident? 19th July

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sophie

Serious Incident? 19th July

Post by sophie »

I am just curious if anyone knows what happened on Sydenham Road last night. My husband said part of the road by Kwik Fit and the Alfred pub there were blocked off (7.30/8 ish?) and there was an ambulance and police cars. When I drove past it on my way home about 8.30 last night there were 6 or 7 police cars.
Bazman76

Re: Serious Incident? 19th July

Post by Bazman76 »

Don't know exactly what happened but there was a bicycle lying in a heap at the side of the road and a man lying in the road being treated. He wasn't moving much but seemed to be alive.

There was another big incident last night outide the church at the bottom of Westwood Hill, area was sealed off looked like a pedestrian was hit.

2 days before that there was another big incident where where Westwood Hill was taped off from the very top down to the girls school. Involved a car a rubbish lorry and I think a pedestrian again.

They say these things comes in 3's but take care out there people.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I think this was a friend of ours who is rather active in the local community.
He's ok, nothing broken, but badly brused.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thats good news Lee.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Here is a note from our friend who has asked us to post this on the forum:

I am the cyclist involved in this accident . The accident occured just before 7PM (19-07-2012) At the Junction of Sydenham Road and the road by Kwik Fit The police arrived about 6 to 10 minutes after the accident and the ambulance arrived shortly after the police. The driver of the vehicle involved in this accident stopped and got out of his vehicle to check I was OK and he was apologetic. I was taken to Kings College Hospital I was put under observation for 4 hours but no head injuries were picked up by thier examination, nothing was broken, but my left foot is badly bruised.
The police, ambulance crew and staff at kings College were all great; as were members of the public who came to my aid immediatley and stayed with me until the emergency services arrived they have my thanks and gratitude.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I am sure we are all happy that your friend has recovered from something that could have been a lot worse. :D
sophie

Post by sophie »

What a relief to hear the cyclist is ok. I hadn't heard a cyclist was involved when I posted this morning and when I read the post saying it was a cyclist I feared the worst particularly as there were so many police cars. A former student of mine was knocked off his bike earlier this year and killed in Deptford - cyclists are so vulnerable.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sophie I agree 100% and drivers should pay more attention to cyclists and glad he is OK.

You also say quite rightly that cyclists so vulnerable . They should also remember that so are pedestrians when the more anti social cyclists use the pavement.