Miriam Lodge Planning Application

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
michael

Re: Miriam Lodge Planning Application

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote:Michael
I like you am glad that the extension has not been approved.
However from what locals are saying the unextended Lodge is already a problem.
I agree. But it is a situation that has improved since the planning application went in. The police have told me that they have seen an improvement and neighbours have said that although there are still problems they are not as bad as they were. Of course with such horrible weather over the last year anti-social behaviour is likely to be at a lower level. let's hope the improvement continues and that the management of the hostel take a more pro-active approach to reducing anti-social behaviour.

What I regard as important is the recognition by the planning officers (and by local councillors) that 'the intensification of the hostel use on the application site will mitigate against the objective of delivering an inclusive, mixed and balanced community'.
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

well done to all, personally this is a small victory, we have other projects that need our voices to be heard equally ! :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

And a cordial here, here from me too . I am sure it will irk the chap that seemed to think it ok to brand anyone objecting as a "NIMBY" but I am very glad people were not deterred by his misguided rhetoric .
No doubt someone , not on the liberal left , will one day invent a term for people who actually DO want nuclear power-stations , substance misusers in massive numbers and street drinkers on their doorstep , but until them , a sensible and welcome outcome . Well done to those who organised and resisted .
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
TheOffensivAtheist

Post by TheOffensivAtheist »

Reading back my initial post, i feel i may have been too harsh. Getting burgled is no joke, anti-social behavior & the actions of a few of the residents of this "Hostel" will tar all with the same brush for some people. There are several hundred people belonging to (arguably) the most marginalized & vulnerable groups in society placed in the midst of a totally different demographic. Sadly many people who find themselves homeless & subsequently housed at places like Miriam Lodge have psychological issues that are not addressed by "Care in the community" outreach teams set up under Conservative Governments back in the "good old days". We have been left with "Care BY the community" which isn't equipped to cope & i'm afraid that places like Miriam House are the results of choices made by people back then & to borrow a Biblical phrase, "You reap what you sow". I STILL have some sympathy for those suffering, ALL of those suffering. Finally i apologise for calling anyone a NIMBY, that was too harsh but Nigel FYI i'm one of those people who DO want Nuclear Power along with treatment for those drug addicts you seem to be saying you see everywhere, that though will mean you personally stumping up the cash (along with the rest of us) to fix the problem, do we have a deal? :twisted:
Last edited by TheOffensivAtheist on 26 Jul 2013 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I love our Councillors to be forced to live within 100yards of this awful establishment. Then we would have had a different outcome.
michael

Post by michael »

Eagle wrote:I love our Councillors to be forced to live within 100yards of this awful establishment. Then we would have had a different outcome.
Are you saying that if councillors were forced to live close by then the extension would have been approved by planning officers out of spite? It is possible, but I think you have misunderstood the situation entirely.
marymck

Post by marymck »

TheOffensivAtheist wrote:Reading back my initial post, i feel i may have been too harsh. Getting burgled is no joke, anti-social behavior & the actions of a few of the residents of this "Hostel" will tar all with the same brush for some people. There are several hundred people belonging to (arguably) the most marginalized & vulnerable groups in society placed in the midst of a totally different demographic. Sadly many people who find themselves homeless & subsequently housed at places like Miriam Lodge have psychological issues that are not addressed by "Care in the community" outreach teams set up under Conservative Governments back in the "good old days". We have been left with "Care BY the community" which isn't equipped to cope & i'm afraid that places like Miriam House are the results of choices made by people back then & to borrow a Biblical phrase, "You reap what you sow". I STILL have some sympathy for those suffering, ALL of those suffering. Finally i apologise for calling anyone a NIMBY, that was too harsh but Nigel FYI i'm one of those people who DO want Nuclear Power along with treatment for those drug addicts you seem to be saying you see everywhere, that though will mean you personally stumping up the cash (along with the rest of us) to fix the problem, do we have a deal? :twisted:
I don't understand. Are you saying you want to live next to a nuclear power station? I very much doubt that any will be built in London, as they're usually built in less populated areas. You could probably find someone to do a house swap with you though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Michael

Sorry meant to imply it would never had been allowed without an extension.

Why not turn it back into its original function for which it served very well.