Miriam Lodge Planning Application

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
marymck

Miriam Lodge Planning Application

Post by marymck »

MIRIAM LODGE, 185 DARTMOUTH ROAD, LONDON, SE26 4RJ
Ward: Forest Hill
Proposal: The construction of a part five/part six storey extension to the existing hostel at Miriam Lodge 185 Dartmouth Road SE26 to a provide an additional 61 rooms, together with the provision of 20 car parking and 12 bicycles spaces.

Full details viewable at ...

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=67347

I believe there was an earlier discussion about this bail hostel. I will try to find it and post a link.
marymck

Re: Miriam Lodge Planning Application

Post by marymck »

I can't seem to post the link to the earlier thread. Please can anyone help?
Red fox

Post by Red fox »

I also received the letter informing me that Miriam Lodge is proposing an additional 61 rooms to their existing hostel.
First of all i wonder what the exact client group is that is going to be housed? There is no mention of that in the proposal. From what i have seen Miriam House is providing temporary housing for vulnerable people who often struggle with substance abuse issues. I have work experience in this field myself. This has thought me that there is a critical mass to such projects. When projects become too big the problems become unmanageable. Provision for vulnerable people is essential but it needs to be spread and not concentrated. Dartmouth Rd is doing its part already as we have a hostel, a methadone prescribing service and our fair share of street drinkers gathering in front of the job centre in Dartmouth RD. For one street that is enough.
Miriam Lodge is a commercial provider of housing and they have no interest in their resident’s wellbeing. When i wanted to address noise issues with them recently i found no phone number for them on the internet. Clearly they did not want to be contacted. I went there in person. The member of staff on duty was helpful and did sort a particular issue but he was alone on duty. Miriam lodge will run the hostel on a shoe string. They will not be able to intervene when needed or support their vulnerable tenants.
Since Miriam Lodge have started their service Dartmouth Rd has changed. Till a few years ago no one was begging in the street. Now it is a common feature especially but not exclusively in the evenings. There are often loud arguments especially in the bus stop in front of the school that is serving Miriam Lodge clients as well. It is not uncommon to have your night rest interrupted by people shouting abuse at each other, threatening each other. I will spare you the details. Noise from the hostel is a daily occurrence, people shouting, arguing , playing loud music either from their rooms or from car stereo`s. If there is staff present then they do not seem to be able to do something about it. Dealing has gone on and will increase due to economy of scale. I was offered drugs by someone in front of the road leading to Miriam House by someone who was under the influence of some substance himself. I politely declined. We had had an issue where people started to use the bus shelter as a meeting point during the night talking loudly till the early hours. My car has been broken in twice. Our house has been burgled. There was a period when racist comments were written on our house.
Recently Dartmouth Rd and Kirk dale received extra money to revive shops and to try to create a good business environment to attract people back into these streets. This is vital as the neighbourhood has gone backwards. Especially close to Miriam House and the round abound Kirkdale with shops closing and the street front looking dilapidated.
A bigger hostel will lead to bigger issues in the neighbourhood we all know that. It will ruin the recent efforts to regenerate the area. Vulnerable people have no change of recovery when housed in chaotic circumstances with a lot of vulnerable people around them. Especially as no one is looking after their needs and their housing provider is only interested in profit. They need small provision by caring and knowledgeable providers and Miriam Lodge is unable to do this.
Molster

Post by Molster »

Hi Red Fox

We are Sydenham Park side and have just been told by our neighbours about the planning of Miriam Lodge extension. There is a group of us who are all objecting on precisley the points you have raised and are trying to hold a general meeting with all the residents from sydenham park. Do you havea group of residents on Dartmouth road who would like to join forces?

We need to raise as many objections as possible and only have until the 14th september. The people who recieved letters only recieved them yesterday and they were already back dated a week. I really urge anyone else reading this post to email an objection to Malachy McGovern, email: planning@lewisham.gov.uk

Although it directly affects those residents around the building it will affect everyone in the surrounding area of forest hill and sydenham so we need to spread the word. I'm all for supporting vunerable people but strongly beleive this is not the way for long term reabiliation.

We too currently experience loud noise, arguments etc throughout the night and can only imagine this to get worse when adding more people to the mix.

PLEASE HELP EVERYONE
Red fox

Post by Red fox »

I have raised my concerns and written a letter to Malacky, Lewisham Council, already.
Thanks for doing the same.
I have not spoken to any neighbours yet, but am more then happy to try and mobilise them, to join forces.
Please inform us when you will have a meeting, I will be away for a week this Friday, but hopefully others here could possibly attend your meeting.
Is that an idea?
We were also not previously consulted regarding any planning plans despite being neighbours.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Molster

Post by Molster »

I think it would be a great idea to get as many people from dartmouth road involved as possible and i'll be sure to let you know where and when the meeting is.

Many thanks
marianne

Post by marianne »

I live in Cheseman Street - opposite Sydenham police station and Miriam Lodge and I have not received any notice about this expansion. I would be interested in attending a meeting regarding this matter. Would be grateful if you would post details on this forum.

Many thanks
Marianne
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I think it is a good bet that no member of the planning committee lives within 200 yards of this devolopment.

Rather like judges who live in gated houses letting of criminals.
marymck

Post by marymck »

FYI Forest Hill and Sydenham societies have also written to Lewisham requesting a local meeting. Obviously, the more requests/comments the better, so please keep sending them.

Red Fox: thank you for a brilliant and very useful account.
Molster

Post by Molster »

will certainly keep you all posted, if you happen to talk to your chesman neighbours the more objections the better x
dmhawk

Post by dmhawk »

Hi all, agreed on the objections to miriam lodge. I live on dartmouth road and spoke to my neighbour...we both want to write a letter of objection and attend a local meeting.

Thanks
sydenhamgardener

Post by sydenhamgardener »

You can use write to them to contact your mp and councillors as well to try and get them to object.

http://www.writetothem.com
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

I have also objected, even though I do not live directly close by.

We must not have this expansion given the go ahead.
Keef

Post by Keef »

So, which one of you has been putting slips of paper through letter boxes urging people to oppose this?

The slip in question came across very NIMBY, and whoever wrote it didn't have the manners to sign it.
Deep Sigh

Post by Deep Sigh »

Does anyone know what progress there is with this, and whether it is still worth contacting the planning officer?

I notice on the site linked in the original post there is no cut-off point for submissions mentioned - and the decision is not expected to be made until the end of this month.

I also note that of the neighbours' submissions received there are 50 against to one in favour.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

in my opinion this increase is far to big for the area.
Very sad not still Police accommodation . Area used to be a lot safer then.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

its not only the planning application for an extension we have to fear here but theres already an extension, namely the operating police station, soon to be closed and sold off. ask yourself who is favorite and likely to buy the station and what is its likely use? would make a perfect addition for the current owners!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

This will be an interesting case of whether democracy works. Seems local are against , and who can blame them.

Will Lewisham decide that is , in their opinion , in the greater good. But you can bet none of the Councillors live close to The Lodge.
TheOffensivAtheist

Post by TheOffensivAtheist »

Reading through this thread has been very disheartening. I had hoped that we could have moved on from being another bunch of NIMBY's but that's obviously not the case. I'm sure that the prospect of property values dropping has nothing to do with it & it's all just genuine concern for the vulnerable individuals who are every bit as good as us & deserve what we have but just haven't had the breaks & has nothing to do with the fact that everyone (even unconsciously) looks down on these unfortunate people with a little smugness/fear/disdain, i could go on but i expect your getting the drift by now. They have to live somewhere & sadly you've drawn the short straw but look on the bright side, we've at least got a home.☮
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

TheOffensivAtheist wrote:Reading through this thread has been very disheartening. I had hoped that we could have moved on from being another bunch of NIMBY's but that's obviously not the case. I'm sure that the prospect of property values dropping has nothing to do with it & it's all just genuine concern for the vulnerable individuals who are every bit as good as us & deserve what we have but just haven't had the breaks & has nothing to do with the fact that everyone (even unconsciously) looks down on these unfortunate people with a little smugness/fear/disdain, i could go on but i expect your getting the drift by now. They have to live somewhere & sadly you've drawn the short straw but look on the bright side, we've at least got a home.☮
Excellent first post TOA, welcome to the forum.