The two half's is under offer

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Chris Best

Re: The two half's is under offer

Post by Chris Best »

Yes it was a fantastic fit out for the Pukka Bar - when I spoke to the agents they said it was under offer for an A1 retail use.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Chris Best wrote:Yes it was a fantastic fit out for the Pukka Bar - when I spoke to the agents they said it was under offer for an A1 retail use.
Oh dear. I can't help but think we're going to end up with yet another substandard retail outlet on the high street. It would be great if you had some more info Chris? I notice A1 includes Funeral Directors, another nail in the High Street coffin for Sydenham? Let's hope not...

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mosy

Post by mosy »

@ leenewham: No worries about us both disagreeing about Poundland as portrayed in the Dispatches programme - I'll send a PM (and to anyone else if interested) giving reasoning as methinks it is off topic for this thread.

On topic, I've often thought that there should be (well, it would be nice to have) chess tables somewhere in Sydenham (or for draughts, snakes and ladders or tiddlywinks, baby jigsaws whatever). First thoughts before were the library or Kirkdale bookshop basement maybe, but the outside area of the Two Half's in summer would be ideal. Trouble is how to make (not lose) money for the provider of such a facility. I've driven literally miles to chess tournaments, so would an advertised Sydenham chess tournament "on the door step" bring in spectator visitors periodically who'd buy drinks (alcoholic or soft)? Lots of erudite peeps in Syd.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

One of the first ideas for improving home park (with the consulation people chose the outdoor gym), was to have table tennis tables and large chequer board for people (kids and adults) to play chess or draughts.

If you feel a need for this Mosy, why not put together a presentation, get people involved via this forum or a blog or door to door and see if there is support. Then either go to a assembly (like we did with the signage for Sydenham Library) or approach the council directly (like we did with the gym).
Bazman76

Post by Bazman76 »

Hi Mosey,

Don't know if you know but there is this which is quite close by:

http://www.dulwichchessclub.org.uk/

Would still like to see such facilities in Sydenham though.
Howard Staunton

Post by Howard Staunton »

One of the first ideas for improving home park (with the consulation people chose the outdoor gym), was to have table tennis tables and large chequer board for people (kids and adults) to play chess or draughts.
Lee,

If you decide to go down the route of having a Giant Chess/Draught Set for Home Park let me know, the company I work for sells them. Twist my arm and I might just supply it for nothing!
toothfairy

Post by toothfairy »

I noticed yesterday that the two half's entrance looks like a new gathering space for the street drinkers.
multisync

Post by multisync »

Yes well the weather is changing, they have to have shelter !!!!! I don't know how the Turkish Food Centre put up with it. It must put people going off shopping in that area, not really what Sydenham wants with it's new image. Lowlifes of this world congregate somewhere else!!!!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

On a number of highstreets street drinking is illegal. Should be the case here.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I really want to know what the Two Half's is going to be. We unfortunately know it won't be a pub being A1 retail, which makes me a bit sad. Any insider knowledge would be good.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
So you walk down the High street drinking G and T .

Not sure any further comment reqd.
Willy

Post by Willy »

I noticed yesterday that the two half's entrance looks like a new gathering space for the street drinkers.
When I walked past on Monday evening they seemed to be having a great time...one was having a p1ss against the wall, a woman (in the loosest sense of the term) was smoking a spliff, tattooed face man (Spider is his name apparently) was having an argument with another gentlemen, while another was shouting at passers by....nice
multisync

Post by multisync »

GET RID !!!!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I know we have been down this road before and I and others get attacked for daring to object to such unsavoury characters.

These people are a disgrace and a symptom of what is wrong with the welfare state ( Mr Bevan would turn in his grave ).

Benefit should be paid in tokens to buy healthy food only. No alcohol , ciggies or junk food .

It is a double whammy we are paying for these dregs of society and getting abused by them as well.
simon

Post by simon »

[/quote]
tattooed face man (Spider is his name apparently)[/quote]

His name is David actually.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

[/quote]

His name is David actually.[/quote]

Brilliant Simon :-D

Anyway, can we get on subject. Anyone any ideas what it's going to be?

G-Man

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Who is going to move there why there good gentlemen are still there.

The two matters are closely linked.
Willy

Post by Willy »

His name is David actually
It may well be but during the course of their argument the other gentlemen said "F**k off Spider you c**t!" so I naturally assumed that was his name/nickname
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Willy wrote:When I walked past on Monday evening they seemed to be having a great time...one was having a p1ss against the wall, a woman (in the loosest sense of the term) was smoking a spliff, tattooed face man (Spider is his name apparently) was having an argument with another gentlemen, while another was shouting at passers by....nice
In fairness, since I walk past them several times a day, they normally keep themselves to themselves. They are a lot less 'in your face' than in the days of their occupation of the bench outside the Post Office.

Regards
Chris
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Maybe David is his middle name? ;0))