Portas Pilot SEE3 ideas

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
art4

Portas Pilot SEE3 ideas

Post by art4 »

This week I have been contacted by a few locals who are voicing concerns about the progression of the project.

I think it may be better if I respond openly on the forum, since involves all the community.

The appointed team will only have one shot at getting this right, so it is important that people do back them up.

Timescales and budgets are pretty tight. Meetings are required and should be widely advertised. But quite frankly the town team etc should have been sorted out ages ago.

It is time for action.

I'm not sure if this is feasible- sounds too simple- but would it be worth using this forum, create a thread for people to post their ideas and the ways they can help.

It could be time efficient and more effective?

I'll also contribute. (in a positive way!)

Joanne
leenewham

Re: Portas Pilot SEE3 ideas

Post by leenewham »

I hope it is positive because by posting this tread, already you are being negative by saying 'some locals have contacted you voicing their concerns'.

What are there concerns? Which which part? You know it takes a while to set things up, pop ups take a long time to get permissions from landlords etc. A LOT of work has gone into this, mostly for free so far, by members of the public. There is always a little red tape because councils are involved.

Did you go to the meeting last night?

While this forum can be positive if used in the right way, I hope this thread doesn't become a moaning shop because someone suggests something that isn't taken up. There is only 100k of funding (+match funding) and it' over over a period of time. You wont see many changes right away.

However sharing ideas is always positive. Gillw has use the Virtual Norwood forum in just this way and the What If Sydenham Project started here and has spread across London. If people agree with the idea, then lets work on how to make it happen rather than just expecting the Portas people to act on it.

The proper channel for contributing to the Portas project is via the information on the see3 website. If the town team spends all it's time responding to every idea on this website, then they wont get anything done.

I'm sure the town team will use this forum (and se23.com) to communicate what they are doing and update us.

But I suggest we give the people involved a break, support them and let them get on with their appointed jobs (which have only just been appointed, many are still to be set) and work together to make a difference to Sydenham Kirkdale & Forest Hill.

So in short, lets keep this positive rather than resorting to moaning about things like former posters artdog and blunt1, which isn't helpful.
art4

Post by art4 »

For goodness sake Lee.

My intention posting again is to ONLY be positive.

I'm not going to post the comments I have received here because they are casting doubts on the project.

No- I didn't attend the meeting last night because I would have felt a bit awkward.

But I can in the future
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Why would you feel awkward?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Joanna, thanks for the sentiment and we absolutely would love for everyone to input on the Portas Pilot. It is after all OUR Portas Pilot.

However I would like to make a few things clear. Firstly, the funds can only be spent as outlined in the winning bid (details provided on this thread: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... lit=portas). Secondly, as Lee says it will be very difficult to manage and respond to all of the suggestions made here.

Can I suggest that a better way to provide your input will be via the Town Team channels once that is set up (I would estimate some time in November), and via the community hubs. The Sydenham community hub will open on the high street in the next few weeks. We'd love for people to come down and find out more about the SEE3 Portas Pilot and how best to get involved.

Thanks all for the enthusiasm. Its a great start!
penelopeelse

Post by penelopeelse »

Joanna

Government wheels turn slowly, and the leadtimes are therefore painfully short. This is not the fault of the local teams, who are working hard to address the most pressing issues. Louise has been doing double, triple duty on the various elements - not merely her own project - so criticism of her output is way off the mark. The town team is in development, but those wheels are still turning.

Support for the teams consists of contributing in the way that they need you to, and an understanding that a very few days into the role they may not have everything perfectly pinned down. There is huge movement in the desired direction even at this early stage.

What support does not consist of is inventing issues in a public forum which waste precious time in the response. If you are serious about helping, do it in the way you are asked to, rather than searching for hints of failure.

To all: Communications methods are high on the agenda, so you can expect strong improvements soon.
art4

Post by art4 »

Do I have to say goodness sake again today!

My post is supportive, not negative, or critical- it is well intentioned.
You say:

'Louise has been doing double, triple duty on the various elements - not merely her own project - so criticism of her output is way off the mark.'

My response to this comment though is: precisely she should only have involvement in one aspect, which is the project manager role. This is a challenge in itself, requires total focus, so should not be trying to set up commitee meetings, leading on these too.

Is her output 'way off the mark'? I wouldn't know, you said it.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

As I understand it, not all the roles are filled as yet. Which is probably why Louise is doing double shifts and wearing different hats to make it all happen.

One all the roles are filled I'm sure things will be different.

As I said, we should be supporting the people involved in the bid, not criticising them and making their jobs harder.
penelopeelse

Post by penelopeelse »

Joanna

I don't intend responding to your comments, as it is time-wasting and unproductive. If you want to help, there are plenty of opportunities.
art4

Post by art4 »

If this new thread I started risks this level of misinterpretation then perhaps it should be just shut down.

Makes no difference to me.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Oh for goodness sake!

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

art4 wrote:For goodness sake Lee.

My intention posting again is to ONLY be positive.

I'm not going to post the comments I have received here because they are casting doubts on the project.

No- I didn't attend the meeting last night because I would have felt a bit awkward.

But I can in the future
Sentence 2: I'm only going to be positive!

Sentence 3: Except when I am being negative while pretending to be entirely positive!

My head hurts.
art4

Post by art4 »

To Admin:

Is it better this thread is shut down?

If my post cannot be taken in the spirit it was intended- which is good will only and instead meets small minded, defensive appraisals, it detracts from the objective.

I was offering to help. Now fastly losing interest

Joanne
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

No, please stay art4 I am sure you can add positively to the regeneration of Sydenham......:0)

JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I am really starting to get depressed by this kind of thread. The Portas Pilot is happening, there are some capable people working on it. They need a lot of support and enthusiasm from us as the community to ensure that it delivers what it has the potential to deliver. Enough of the snide comments, the anonymous "concerns expressed" and the open bickering. If you want to moan, take it offline or to PM or email. We don't want to hear it and there's nothing constructive to be gained by it being on the forum. :(

Rant over.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Juliet

Whilst I agree positive comments always welcome , surely not up to you do dictate what , or what not , people should say on this forum about this subject.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Don't be depressed, Juliet. It's one person with an axe to grind. The fact that no one is taking the bait is heartening.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Juliet, I agree with your comments on the whole,
I am really excited to see what can be done to get Sydenham back to some sort of normality,
art4 obviously has a bee in her bonnet at not having secured the bid she was hoping for, however she is entitled to write her opinion on an open forum like this,
If we like it or not, also she may well have something to offer and it would be good to know what?

art4

Post by art4 »

I don't want to make you unwell JulietP

Any luck on the piano?
marianne

Post by marianne »

As I was reading through this thread I was wondering, who ARE these people commenting on art4's posts in such an aggresive manner - who elected them to run this thread? I was therefore very pleased to see the comments from Eagle and Annie - forums are here to enable one to express opinions and there is absolutely no need to be quite so forthright and domineering when you disagree.