Freeview reception problems last night?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
alywin

Freeview reception problems last night?

Post by alywin »

Just wondering whether anyone else suffered problems receiving Freeview yesterday (Wednesday) evening? I was watching TV at about 9.50 when the picture started breaking up, the sound started going a bit funny and then the screen went blank and I couldn't get anything back. Turned off, and everything was back to normal about 10 minutes later.

Either that, or my 3-week-old digibox is defective somehow ...
Rachael

Re: Freeview reception problems last night?

Post by Rachael »

You need to retune as there have been updates, like the addition of HD channels.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

Changed channel allocation on Freeview does not affect the quality of a received channel. Was it raining at the time? I find bad weather can have a negative effect on the signal strength for some channels.

Regards
Chris
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

chrisj1948 wrote:Changed channel allocation on Freeview does not affect the quality of a received channel. Was it raining at the time? I find bad weather can have a negative effect on the signal strength for some channels.

Regards
Chris
This is true. Ignore my previous post (note to self- drink coffee then post).
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

We have a satelite dish, and a freesat box, and I've found that in bad weather, or when a plane is flying in line of site from Satelite to dish, the signal goes. what annoys me is that previously with annalogue, when the signal wasn't great, you could still get a fuzzy picture, or at least sound, and continue to watch the program, and yet now with digital (a technological advancement!) as soon as the signal drops below about 95% you get disruption, and then below 80% the picture freezes, and you get nothing at all until the signal returns!
alywin

Post by alywin »

chrisj1948 wrote:Was it raining at the time? I find bad weather can have a negative effect on the signal strength for some channels.
It was, although not excessively, so I didn't think that had anything to do with it, but perhaps you're right. It was just a bit worrying, since it's really hard getting hold of digiboxes nowadays and I wasn't relishing the thought of maybe having to get another one.

Thanks, everyone.
rbmartin

Post by rbmartin »

We've had HD since before digital switchover on Freeview.

What happened last week was the second stage of channel number changes where HD channels moved from the 50s to 100-104 and the 'Babestation' type ones moved to 170+
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

Despite being able to see the Crystal Palace Tower from my bedroom window, I'm still not able to get a good signal on any of the HD channels. Everytime a car goes by, the picture cuts out.