Sydenham Halloween - Wednesday 31 October

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Rachael

Re: Sydenham Halloween - Wednesday 31 October

Post by Rachael »

A very thoughtful post that sums up the situation very well, Robin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Well Robin, my hubby is probably older than you , and he absolutely loves it! Every year he awaits the knock/ ring and has sweets or money or both at the ready!one year he dressed up, but unfortunately he scared the little ones so removed the mask.
Me---- I watch tv all through it and leave him to enjoy it.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I never went trick or treating when I was younger Robin, infact I hated halloween as to me it was an American import and to me the time was about bonfire night and fireworks. Growing up in the Midlands and Devon I never experienced it. People simply didn't seem to do it.

Even now I'm not really a fan of Halloween, although having a kid (but he is only one!) and seeing other kids enjoy it, especially when I have been travelling where it seems a lot nicer and more fun than here, I can see the appeal.

But that's my own personal view. What I do support is Cllrs Best and the Traders making it an event in the high street. It is commercial and we can't change that, like Christmas. Christmas is more about shopping malls than churches. If our local shops don't embrace this sort of culture, like big brands and supermarkets do, then they will get a visit from Mr Reaper way before you or I do.

Besides, I don't find you grumpy Robin, you are the fresh sweet scented air of wisdom and 'eloquentia' that flows through this forum like pot pourri in a public toilet.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

leenewham wrote:Robin, you are the fresh sweet scented air of wisdom and 'eloquentia' that flows through this forum like pot pourri [...]
Aw shucks, Lee. Can I have that on my tombstone when the Reaper calls?
leenewham wrote: [...] in a public toilet.
A trifle harsh on our fellow-posters, I think
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

PM me and we can negotiate a fee Robin. ;-)