Flytipping on Berrymans lane

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Flytipping on Berrymans lane

Post by simon »

Yesterday there was another load of rubish deposited at the top of Berrymans Lane, building rubble mainly this time. Yhis has to be the third time in a month that rubish has been tipped there and it obviously a favoured site for someone.
Thouroughly fed up with this blight, I examined some of the rubbish and found some letter addresed to a house in SE27. I phones Lewisham council to impart this information witha view that an enforcement officer could ask the people at that adres if they had a building work done and who was the builder, giving a decent clue as to who was responsible. The council said they would get an enforcement officer to phone back. Im still waiting for a call.
Perhaps the council could install a discreet cctv system and try and catch the people resposnsible. I only use the lane as a cut through and to walk my dogs but the people who live there must be sick of it.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I only use the lane as a cut through and to walk my dogs
Berrymans Lane is also a good place to get run-over if you're not careful! :wink:
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

A bit more militant Simon but maybe you could post the address here when you find it out. That way next time your having your hallway done - (looks lovely with your new front door BTW) or when I finally get the front of my place finished before the move we'll know where our 'tidy builder' lives and where to dump our stuff - that might soon stop him? I tend to find fighting fire with fire works - the fines imposed on these fly-tippers are laughable. Two wrongs don't make a right but it might just get him thinking in the right manner.

Before anyone asks I'm not a stalker or cat-burgular but my neighbour is Simon who has some dogs and lives on KPR...I reckon they're one and the same. I'm clever that way :wink:

Can't imagine it helps sell that new warehouse type conversion on Berrymans Lane much either?
simon

Post by simon »

The thing is I dont know if lewisham council are actually going to bother to find out. Flytipping is punishable by a fine of up to £20,000 which would be enough to put a lot small builders out of business and seeing as this one appears to be a serial offender I would hope that would the maximum fine would be applied.
If the council doesn't bother to follow I may actually go around to the address and try and find out for myself, but I dont really see why I should do our council's job for them.

(glad you like my new front door Greg, it cost enough!)
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

You might (fingers crossed) find that you'll be surprised Simon. I felt strongly about how when they came to collect our recycling box they SEEMED to empty the recycling into a wheelie bin which was then loaded onto the refuse truck.

Now, both Katherine and I said outloud "why bother filling a recycling box only for them to throw it in with the rest of the rubbish" (something I seem to remember you mentioned Steve Grindlay when we first met?). Anyway...the vans are seperate [sic?]. This was pointed out as Katherine sent an email and got a call back on the same day explaining that foodstuffs and the stuff for the black wheelie bins are never put on the same 'recycling' van and he was right.

SO - my point is I'd like to think you'll see something happen. I'm a bit 'up' on Lewisham council of late - they keep the High Street spankingly clean and seem very proactive (to me). So I live in hope...if not you and I can drive round to this persons place and drop some of our sh*t on his lawn and see how he likes it?
Eccosian

Post by Eccosian »

If only there were more people like you.

I used Sydenham Hill train station the other day and noticed that a huge amount of rubbish was dumpted in the car park from what I assume was a skip.

This just confirms my suspicions that:

This station is not well light.
The CCTV coverage is not enough to dissuade unscrupulous skiphire companies or builders from flytipping.

While I may be stating the obvious, I cannot help thinking that if this can happen then anything can happen there in terms of people's safety when using this station. [/list]
simon

Post by simon »

Another load there today. The council didn't bother to get back to me about the information I had so I guess people will continue to flytip there with impunity. Very annoying.
chrisf

Dumping ya waste

Post by chrisf »

Really shocking all this fly tipping that is happening man all over da place
dare is 2 much dark alleys and the filth dont travel at night away from the main roads unless called somewhere but if you spot someone in the act and call 999 giving all the details dont expect them 2 come rushing to assist so ya mayswell let the council keep coming and clearing it up the answer 2 it all is 2 keep britain tidy but rude boy aint doing it 4 britain hes doing it for his greed profit and selfishness. yeah now I am not saying it is only done only by men.
leaf

Post by leaf »

Suggestions on which regular 'normal' poster chrisf REALLY is??