Amex: supporting small shops?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Amex: supporting small shops?

Post by jonekt »

Just had a flier though from Amex saying in Nov they are supporting small businesses/ shops in a 'shop small' initiative.

Not sure if this is useful to the high street shops or if there are similar schemes out there Sydenham could capitalise on? Never seen anything like this before but perhaps interesting if small businesses can benefit?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
owlwise

Re: Amex: supporting small shops?

Post by owlwise »

I also received one. Unfortunately, I find that smaller independent businesses do not accept Amex due to the high charges imposed on them by Amex. Therefore, I doubt the promotion would be much of a success. No wonder they are offering such a great deal in the flyer because you'll be hard pressed on finding a small business accepting Amex.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

I got the same - I think its a cracking idea - if it works!

Amex must be incentivising the smaller shops, by reducing their charges.

If they can change people's attitudes to buying smaller items using an Amex, then fair play to them.

They still have the best Membership Points system of any I have used, including all the supermarket schemes - Nectar and all.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Amex , like all credit cards , supports only themselves.

Only purchase if you have the money. Germans manage to follow this dictum but not British people.
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Amex isnt a credit card - its a charge card.

A true American Express card needs to be cleared in full each month.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Why not pay by Cash then or bank card.

What is the point?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:Why not pay by Cash then or bank card.

What is the point?
Because you get the benefits of a credit card without the risk of running up debts. So you are insured when you buy big items and online. If you book travel using your card they have excellent support and concierge services. And, as fishcox pointed out, their loyalty reward scheme is very good, you earn more points per pound spent than any other scheme. I put all my grocery shopping and big-ticket items on Amex and pay it off every month (as you have to). At the beginning of December I convert all my Amex points into Nectar points and usually have about £200 worth of Nectar points to then spend in Sainsburys in the run up to Christmas. You can also convert your points into gift card for many of the main retailers.

fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Just what I was going to say.

I've had an Amex card for over 20 years, and would thoroughly recommend them - apart from the ocassional marketing call I get in the evening, just as we are putting the kids to bed.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Looks like Blue Mountain are one of the enterprises included in this. According to the Amex website. Yeh! :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There are lots of places - takeaways, shops, etc - taking part. If you have an Amex card, it will be well worth registering for this scheme - £5 back for £5 or more spent with each merchant in November!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh no not Blue Mountain
##Cannot believe it when people use cards for cups of coffee.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Don't you means 'I Don't believe it' Eagle/Victor? hehehehe ;-)
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes you are right . All Mrs Warboy's fault.

Really winds me up paying for a cup of coffee with card. I do not believe it.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote:Yes you are right . All Mrs Warboy's fault.

Really winds me up paying for a cup of coffee with card. I do not believe it.
Don't fret, Eagle. You have to spend at least £5 to be benefit from this scheme. So, a coffee and a sandwich. Would that be acceptable?

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I only use cards for 25.00 pounds and over and even then often pay with cash.
Certainly think Min 10.00 for cards would be very welcome to others in the queue.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Eagle wrote:I only use cards for 25.00 pounds and over and even then often pay with cash.
Certainly think Min 10.00 for cards would be very welcome to others in the queue.
Takes roughly the same amount of time - card or cash - unless you are stuck behind (invariably) a man in the supermarket queue who stands idly watching as the goods are passed through, seems almost surprised when the time to pay comes and starts patting pockets to try to find wallet, and then when he finally pays slowly starts packing goods into bags. Grrrrrrr.

Anyways ..... quickest method now seems to be the card terminals where you just waft your card over the reader for small amounts and it automatically deducts. Far quicker than fannying around with cash/coins.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes that really annoys me. When in supermarket queue I always roughly tot up total and hold 10.00 or 20.00 note whilst queuing.

Many people , of both sexes , wait until they have packed their bag then search for, card or cash.

OK if cash maybe they want to pay the correct figure , but if intending to pay by card no excuse for not having card out and ready.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

The biggest delayers are those people that take a big pile of screwed up vouchers out with
them when they shop. The unfortunate person on the checkout has to straighten the screwed
up small bits of paper and de-cypher the date which has very often passed by a couple of
months. These people bring out the 'Victor Meldrew' in me as I look at my watch and find
myself muttering "I don't believe it!"
Paying by card is really quick once you get used to it and safer than carrying money with you.
s cheeseman

Post by s cheeseman »

I paid for my shopping in Billings today with Amex, and by the time I got home I had received an email saying that my account would be credited within 3-5 days with £5.