Evening standard: flash cash mob

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
jonekt

Evening standard: flash cash mob

Post by jonekt »

I read in the evening standard about 'flash cash mobs'. Well think that's what it was called! Whereby groups of say 10 go to a local shop & spend 10 quid each to support the local shop. Each week going to different shops in the area.

I try and support the local high street as much as possible for food shopping / dry cleaners but thought this was a great idea. Wonder if this is something Sydenham could make use of? Maybe a flash mob on a sat morning supporting the pop up markets/shops? Could be good publicity for the Mary Portas pilot?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Voyageur

Re: Evening standard: flash cash mob

Post by Voyageur »

like!
mosy

Post by mosy »

I don't get how a one-off flash mob at any shop helps anything unless it's backed up by positive reviews (posted somewhere?) about shops visited. Surely it's people going in every day or so and spending a few £s that's the the bread and butter money for small shops? Plus why support pop-up shops at the expense of existing ones?

At about this time, I like to exhort that people try to buy Christmas cards/presents or trinkets from the high street, so I'd say to see what the high street shops are offering before going online or to a shopping mall (a bit of an aside).

No shop would turn its nose up at £100 in the till, but you'll have to tell me how it's a benefit if just a one off. Ta.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Another way are carrot mobs which have been discussed on these forums:

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... mob#p27486

See more here:
https://carrotmob.org/
toothfairy

Post by toothfairy »

Unfortunately, I think you would be hard pressed to find a shop in Sydenham High Street selling trinkets. You certainly can buy food, food and more food, vouchers to get your nails done, etc. But trinkets - not that I know of and would like to be corrected if I am wrong.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

the carrot mob thing looks like a good idea, but the only one I found in London (a pub in East end somewhere), written up in a Guardian piece, was back in September 2008!