kelvin grove school and their staff parking

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mrchives

kelvin grove school and their staff parking

Post by mrchives »

Kelvin Grove Primary School are deliberately ignoring their own car park at the entrance to Kelvin Grove, and encouraging their staff to park, dominate the roads' parking infront of residents houses, forcing them to not get a space in the road let alone infront of their own property.

It is about time the School were forced to respect the residents who live in this road 24-7, not simply 9-5.

What suggestions are there to take control of the road?!
Annie.

Re: kelvin grove school and their staff parking

Post by Annie. »

I sympathise with you.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Make them all park in Hall Drive and walk to Kelvin Grove.. :lol:

Have the local people lobbied the School at all?
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

I was told that one of the staff was telling a resident to park elsewhere! They (the school) don't own the street!
If you live on Kelvin Grove we need to take control.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

14BradfordRoad wrote:Make them all park in Hall Drive and walk to Kelvin Grove.. :lol:

Have the local people lobbied the School at all?
Yeay! Now there's a good idea! ;0))

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

mrchives wrote:I was told that one of the staff was telling a resident to park elsewhere! They (the school) don't own the street!
If you live on Kelvin Grove we need to take control.
I'm afraid that the residents will need to fight fire with fire (although not literally). No School, these days, will want bad publicity complaints or any more local issues landing in their lap than
they may already have. Schools have to address issues which takes valuable time (even longer
that that to walk in from Hall Drive :lol: , sorry just couldn't resist)..
As it has often been said: There is more than one way to skin a cat (again not literally)! :wink:
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

What suggestions would be the most effective ?

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Andy Matthiesson,( might have spelt it wrong) the head teacher at Kelvin Grove is quite a nice man,reasonable, I would ask to see him and discuss the frustrations of the residents of your road,
There is a lady in the office called Suzy,she is really nice and again I,m sure she would be happy to arrange an appointment with Andy.
I cannot help you I,m afraid,but, through my work in the past I have met these two from time to time.
Worth a try!
Good luck.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Website for Kelvin Grove primary school: http://www.kelvingrove.lewisham.sch.uk/aboutus

Contact info, Chair of governors, etc via website. Maybe they don't realise the amount of bad feeling that the staff car parking problems are causing. As Annie points out that Head is a reasonable person so is very likely to listen to residents concerns. Probably the best place to
start.

Let's hope that problems can be sorted in the interest of all parties.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What arguments selfish parking causes , not only for the residents near Hall Drive.

If there is appointed parking available for the staff on site it does seem puzzling they park on the road.
If there is not then they are just as entitled as the residents. I suggest they ask for a CPZ , which would stop then teachers .
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Inconsiderate parking again Eagle,shame they can't get "residents only parking notices" put in place.

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

I find this rather bizarre: why do residents have a greater right to park on a public highway above and beyond anyone else? Why if I was visiting a house there or the school? Should I not park there?

At the end of the day the road is a public highway: just that - public. No-one has a god-given right to park anywhere except their own land. If it matters that much to you then you should have bought/rented a house with a driveway or other allocated parking. I bought my house (which has no parking and is on a very busy road where we can rarely get our car outside) in the full knowledge that the parking situation was difficult and I decided that price and location was worth more to me than a driveway.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It's nothing to do with rights Bensonby, we all know its anybody's "right" to park on the highway,we are talking about being a good neighbour and being considerate to other,the school has its own parking places available,but they choose to park outside the nearby residents houses instead,not very considerate in my eyes.
Maybe I,m old fashioned.

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

mrchives wrote:Kelvin Grove Primary School are deliberately ignoring their own car park at the entrance to Kelvin Grove, and encouraging their staff to park, dominate the roads' parking infront of residents houses, forcing them to not get a space in the road let alone infront of their own property.

It is about time the School were forced to respect the residents who live in this road 24-7, not simply 9-5.

What suggestions are there to take control of the road?!
My question is: why would the school 'encourge' the staff not to use the car park? If they are not using their own car park, there must be a reason. I doubt it's being done just too annoy their neighbours, which is the implication of many of the posts on this thread. If you speak to the school and find out why, do please post back here.

mrchives

Post by mrchives »

The staff have been spoken with, and one of the comments mentioned was that the staff car park was too far (at 20m away)

There are already gates to stop the school run, and the staff do NOT care.
As previously mentioned one of the staff members told a resident to park elsewhere!

Imagine you had kids of your own, had gone shopping and was unable to get into your car safely, unload it practically into your own Home, all because the staff cannot be bothered to walk 20m to their OWN car park.
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

By the way CPZ's will not/cannot be funded by Lewisham Council - no money apparently.
NatashaM

Post by NatashaM »

On a slight tangent - there are a lot of illegally parked cars at hometime - bottom of Kelvin Grove, all round the gate to the old Adult Education institute and cars parked right up to the end of Fransfield and on the wide bit of pavement before Costcutter which makes it very difficult to safely manouvre a buggy/toddler combo around when we come back down the hill from preschool. I've never actually seen a traffic warden on Kirkdale or any of the roads off it, but if Lewisham need a bit more money they could get some ticketing the thoughtless people who park wherever they fancy.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Why don't you write to the council and suggest this?

caseyref

Post by caseyref »

I am delighted to see other locals getting irritated by this issue as the school is growing and will do in the future thanks to the school place shortage - some classes in Kelvin Grove have 3 classes per year and that is set to be a standard for them I believe which in turn means more parents driving to pick up their kids.

I live on Kirkdale and as direct opposite neighbours to the school I have had conversations with Mr Matheson (Head teacher) and the office about this issue and they have basically stated it is out of their jurisdiction and remit to police the roads by the school and unfortunately what the parents park is out of their control.

I asked the Head to observe the dangers of the small area which is a massive risk to safety after school which he has not done where Parents are parking where ever they like with disregard for people who live here such as parking on the grass pavement fully destroying the grass and blocking the pavement!

Also my brother is in the school and if I get home any time after 2:30 I cannot park and thus will be late for picking my own brother up and then may get a parking ticket for those who shouldn't park anywhere they like!

I know that all the residents in Brickwood Close are very infuriated with parking arrangements and the chaos after school hours.

I have contacted Lewisham Council and they have already told me that they have no funds for a CPZ or Parking attendants to patrol the area as they have not been informed of an issue in the area and as it is on the outskirts of the borough there shouldn't be a issue in the area. The lady said that the area has been added to the list for CPZ when it comes up for review in the councils parking strategy review next year but there is not anything else show can do.

I was advised to get people to contact the Parking/Traffic department via email or phone if you feel there is an issue with safety, parking or traffic in the area - the more of us who voice an opinion the better.

Finally, I am a bit disgusted that the Lollypop lady was not replaced this year as Mr Matheson said that a new lollypop person would start in October. Safety is really being compromised here, anyone else agree?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I think we need Dr Kissinger. The residents can only see their point of view and the teachers again can only see their point of view. Hardly a good lesson for little Cecil and Gertrude.

I think the residents are being unrealistic. They have NO right to parking outside or near their home. Perhaps they should not have a car if it causes so many problems . Plenty of Buses within short walk.
The attitude of the teachers is again very selfish with no give and take.

I suggest the residents suggest to the Headmaster that they be allowed to park in the parking area designated for the staff. That would solve all problems.