kelvin grove school and their staff parking

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mrchives

Re: kelvin grove school and their staff parking

Post by mrchives »

well Eagle, you live there in kelvin grove, and then your opinion will count.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If there is a genuine danger to pedestrians,perhaps you could ask the neighbourhood police team what can be done within the law,
Outside Stillness School in Brockley the police do patrols at pick up and drop off time because parents actually Double Park! Can you believe the ignorance of people.
Be better for the children if they could walk to school,let their breakfast go down before they start lessons!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What breakfast Annie

The days of hot porridge and egg and bacon before school are mostly over , so I believe.

People seem to think nothing of double parking . Police should throw the book at them.
maestro

Post by maestro »

East Lothian Council has just set a precedent with a revolutionary solution to the school run problem involving two schools in the town of Haddington. There's no mention in the article, however, as to where school staff are supposed to park, but I wonder if this will get imposed elsewhere in the UK.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ ... -1-2640189
sydderslass

Post by sydderslass »

The school is expanding, the car park is not. Anyone who has posted about the teachers who don't park in their own car park have failed to mention that the car park has room for 10 cars max. In a school that has in excess of 60 people on its staff. Do the maths. Parents parking outside school, legally or otherwise is a global issue - anyone who's had the pleasure of passing Alexandra Infants at chuck-out time (ok, not Sydenham but not a million miles away) will know this. Schools can only encourage parents to walk/'park and stride' or use public transport but clearly can't enforce. Similarly, teachers are 'encouraged' (as we all are!!!) to use public transport more and leave our cars at home. My experience of KG (and yes, I do have some) is that most staff are in school by half 7 and many are still there till 6, and they're not local. Add an hour's commute with a big box of marking and you can begin to see why teachers might choose to drive, and why they might not consider the residents as we all might like to think we would....No answers to offer but there are no villains in this piece, just another example of busy stressed lives in a densely populated area..
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

At last an extremely well written and informative post explaining exactly what the problem is.

I am amazed there are 60 odd staff. But assuming there are 50 teachers ( 1,800 pupils ) then 10 dinner ladies , cleaners , caretaker who would either live very locally or walk.

Of course these teachers have an equal right to park on the street as the residents who somehow believe it is their God Given right.

Of course double parking should be stamped on like a ton of bricks. But where are the Police.

Maybe the time is coming to make all road parking in Lewisham subject to paid permits. Simply to many people have and use cars in an area not built for them
mrchives

Post by mrchives »

When you consider that there is over half the road with do not park lines down it, you see why it is a residents right to park near their house. Why should they be forced to park elsewhere,
How can the residents not be sympothised with when they are not allowed to use the car park.
Double standards by the School if you ask me, or any of the residents down the street.

Residents come 1st. They live 24-7 not 9-5.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The very learned post from syderslass explained all.

I do agree they could take up the 10 spots available but that would still leave many teachers with no where to park but the road.

The ONLY way to impose an advantage for the residents is to apply and get a CPZ. That is up to the residents to sort out.

Why do residents believe they have a God Given Right to park on public funded street .
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It is hugely frustrating for residents. But, if you buy a house on a road adjacent to a school, you will have parking issues, and the price of the house will probably reflect this. I live near a school and teachers park outside my house everyday. I'm lucky enough that this doesn't inconvenience me now, but in the past, when I had no off-street parking and small children, I had to get up early to move my car to outside my house and keep it there until after school had started if I wanted to keep that space usable all day. It was a pain, but as Eagle says, I have no more right to that space than anyone else. I know many people living in London and other densely populated cities who spend a part of each day shunting their cars around. It's just a fact of life in the city if you own a car.

I have much more of an issue with parents who stop right outside the school in the morning rush hour, causing all sorts of traffic jams.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Eagle wrote:At last an extremely well written and informative post explaining exactly what the problem is.

I am amazed there are 60 odd staff. But assuming there are 50 teachers ( 1,800 pupils ) then 10 dinner ladies , cleaners , caretaker who would either live very locally or walk.

Of course these teachers have an equal right to park on the street as the residents who somehow believe it is their God Given right.

Of course double parking should be stamped on like a ton of bricks. But where are the Police.

Maybe the time is coming to make all road parking in Lewisham subject to paid permits. Simply to many people have and use cars in an area not built for them
Not quite that many pupils! Was 7 years of 60 students, now will be 90 students per year plus nursery. So you are looking at about 650 students I think Eagle.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

If 650 pupils I guess about 22 teachers. Not sure what the other 38 odd staff are for.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Each class will have at least one classroom assistant, some will have two. If you allow for two members of teaching staff per pupil, that 44 members of staff already.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mein Gott im Himmel.

When I went to St Barts Junior in 50's each class about 35 plus and NO so called assistants.
Disipline was good and we all did learn a lot.
When going out to park for sports 1 teacher took 40 children and no one was run down or molested.

What has happened to society that one requires two assistants to a teacher.
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Eagle wrote:Disipline was good and we all did learn a lot.
But not how to spell "discipline", apparently? :wink: :P
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nice one. Could not have done better myself.

My junior teachers would be shocked. probably got whacked a few times.

Anyway apart amazement at overstaffing in today's schools guess we ought to get back To Park or Not to Park Issue.