Sydenham Hub - Jill - we made it!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
penelopeelse

Sydenham Hub - Jill - we made it!

Post by penelopeelse »

It nearly killed me, but we got there just in time! Far from perfect yet, but a damn good beginning!

http://www.see3.co.uk/2012/12/sydenham- ... e-made-it/
leenewham

Re: Sydenham Hub - Jill - we made it!

Post by leenewham »

A brilliant job Pen, a brilliant community achievement.
art4

Post by art4 »

What is the purpose of the hub? Jill?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's on the link Joanne, it's been on the SEE3 website since launch:

"Jill will be renovated for creative community engagement via exhibitions, showcasing local products, business workshops, pop up events and use as a Town Team base. They will be used to engender a sense of place and gather details of people’s current shopping habits and their ambitions for the High Street."

The other pop ups are part of 'The Shop Revolution'.

To do 4 pop ups like this, is an incredible achievement, I'm sure you will agree, especially as you know how difficult it is to secure an empty shop in the first place having done this before. Especially with all the difficulties that were thrown Pen and the teams way.
art4

Post by art4 »

Thanks Lee.

It sounds a great achievment. Will look forward to taking a look.
owlwise

Re: Sydenham Hub - Jill - Peh!

Post by owlwise »

I'm really disappointed. I was under the impression that the Sydenham Hub was going to be somewhere vibrant where people could hang out, with somewhere to sit, have a coffee and a chat. Where you can pick up info on local events and causes, etc.

I get the impression that it's more of a showcase for local artists and not much else...an art gallery that's a bit intimidating to enter.

Sorry, but that's how I feel and I'm a local resident.
art4

Post by art4 »

Finally I've visited all three pop ups and was really impressed, I think they are excellent.
FHSoc

Post by FHSoc »

Hi owlwise

Sorry to hear you are disappointed by the Sydenham hub - Jill and that you feel it intimidating to enter. I'm sure you would find the volunteers welcoming once inside.

The Hub will evolve over time. SEE3 needed something to get it going and Bruce Harrison and the people from the Sydenham Visual Arts Trail volunteered to fill the space temporarily.

I know SEE3 would welcome your thoughts as to how it might evolve (you can email info@see3.co.uk or drop in to the hub). At the moment, the landlord has lent the space for no rent, but he obviously cannot do that for ever. It would be great if a way could be found to make it pay over the long term.

SEE3 have just / will soon appoint people to the roles of Town Team Manager, Hub Coordinator and Artist In Residence. One of their roles is to develop the community engagement side of the hubs.

In the meantime, be sure to pop in and find out about local events - there is plenty of literature on the plinth inside the door.

Richard
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

Thanks Richard, I will do.
safdirector

Post by safdirector »

And why not sample the delights of the National Museum of Luketia, now open at the back of the Sydenham Community Hub?

It's only there till Sunday 16 Dec, but it's free to enter and is open between 11am-1pm & 2-4pm Friday, Saturday and Sunday PLUS late night opening on Friday 14 between 6-9pm.

Created by The Brothers Kaufman and Spontaneous Productions, it's an interactive theatre show/art installation - blackly comic, occasionally disturbing but mostly delightfulling.

Details are here:
http://www.spontaneousproductions.co.uk/future.html

See you there!
penelopeelse

Post by penelopeelse »

Hi Owlwise

You're spot on, that's exactly what it will be, but the council wheels turn slowly and we've only just got our Hub Co-ordinators and Artists on board - so in the meantime it's being used as a (rather popular) gallery!

Seriously, we've been absolutely flat out with all this, so to have even got the gallery in there (with the much-more-than-help from the marvellous Bruce Harrison) we count as a success...

I can't wait to see where the Hub Co-ordinator and artists take it!

Pen
louisecbrooks

Post by louisecbrooks »

Owlwise here's an update about what is happening in Jill at the moment: http://www.see3.co.uk/2012/12/what-the- ... with-jill/

And don't miss out on The National Museum of Luketia which is currently showing at the back of the hub: http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8791