Moving to Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
popapipo

Moving to Sydenham

Post by popapipo »

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend and i are moving to the Thorpe's next week. We have read a few posts about the area and we we think we have a general idea of how it is like to live in Sydenham. However, we would like to know a bit more about the practicalities, like where we can find good food shops: butcher, fishmongers, fresh vegies... (Sainsbury's ?), nice coffee shops and pubs around the area (we know about the Blue Mountain and The Dolphins) or if you know any health club around that has a pool. Also, we are from Barcelona, and we need to find a place where my girlfriend takes English lessons. Any information would be highly appreciated and it would make our landing much easier! :D

We look forward to starting our new life in Sydenham!! :)

Cheers!!

Gerard
JulietP

Re: Moving to Sydenham

Post by JulietP »

Hello - welcome!

Billings on the high street is a proper butcher and fishmonger and it's brilliant. And for a gym with a pool you either have the Bridge leisure centre and Forest Hill Pools. I would strongly recommend the latter - it's been newly refurbished and it's great. But if you get a Lewisham fusion membership (around £35 a month) you can use both.

Juliet

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Last edited by JulietP on 14 Dec 2012 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
penelopeelse

Post by penelopeelse »

Hi Gerard

You might enjoy Alhambra up the road in Kirkdale Village, which is strongly Spanish-based and has a Spanish teacher who might be persuaded to run English lessons (?). Canvas and Cream in Forest Hill is a lovely arty cafe, too.

There's no shortage of greengrocers in Sydenham Road, eg these: http://www.sydenhamtowncentre.com/indus ... engrocers/ - and you can find a lot of shops already on that site, which is still growing.
popapipo

Post by popapipo »

Hi Juliet and penelopeelse!

Thank you both for the comments ! We will defenitely go to Billings and will try Canvas and Cream when we go up to ask at the Forest Hill Pools. The information on Alhambra and the greengrocers is really useful too, so thanks again!! :D

Gerard