The Railway Pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
sydenhamboy

The Railway Pub

Post by sydenhamboy »

um ... blimey - surprised no one has mentioned work going on in the Railway. Is it having a refurb? Is it going to morph into a 'new' bar for our highstreet ... anyone know anything ???
Eagle

Re: The Railway Pub

Post by Eagle »

Ever since I went in back in late 60's it has been a Pub catering for the more unsavoury element.

Anything could be an improvement.
sydenhamboy

Post by sydenhamboy »

something big seems to be happening in there ...
Nature Boy

Post by Nature Boy »

Agreed. Looks like some major work. Place is being gutted. Someone must know something. I'd be surprised if the work was being done by the current landlord..

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Maybe they are frightened by the competition at The Greyhound. Perhaps they know something we do not ?
i will have a look Monday morning.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Someone did mention on this forum that it was being turned into a 'Sports Bar'. Whether this is true I don't know. I hope it turns into a pub that caters for more than that.

Cheers

G-Man

G-Man

Post by G-Man »

It looks like they're going to be splitting the pub into a two bars. Sign says 'Lounge Bar, coffee, bar snacks, live music'. With a second bar with 'Pool, Darts and Live sport'.

Here's the planning application for the Sports bar, posted by Leenewman a while ago...

http://acolnet.lewisham.gov.uk/LEWIS-XS ... mkey=67068

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Like most pubs in the 60's it was then slit into two bars. Have not been in since and did not realise it had been vandalised into one bar.

Good returning to its original form. Not sure about the sports bar though.
simon

Post by simon »

I actually like the idea of a sports bar as there is a dearth of places in Sydenham to watch sports. I used to go to the Greyhound to watch football and there was always a good crowd. The Railway used to show Irish sports as well as the racing and the Sky football. It would mean that whoever took over the Greyhound wouldn't have to cater to that market and could offer something different.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Eagle wrote:Like most pubs in the 60's it was then slit into two bars. Have not been in since and did not realise it had been vandalised into one bar.

Good returning to its original form. Not sure about the sports bar though.
I think it's all one bar, I've only ever popped in there to use the loo, and it was all a bit American Werewolf :)

If each side is done well then it could work. We'll have to wait and see. I agree with Simon, each can offer something different. I'm not a massive sports fan but plenty are and if it's done well and managed well then I hope the brewery is on to a winner.

I'm liking the way Real Ales are highlighted on the signage though. Could be another place to have a decent pint in Sydenham. The first being the Dolphin where James does and excellent job.

G-Man
simon

Post by simon »

It would be great to have a new live music venue too.
SAF

Post by SAF »

It is being fully refurbished by owners Star Pubs and Bars (the Heineken owned and re-branded Scottish and Newcastle group). According to the designers it will be a very contemporary pub, but will retain its community feel. It it will, for example, keep the pool table. I forgot to ask if they are planning to do food, but it will have new operators and sounds like a promising new venture.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Sounds interesting. The Gowlett in Peckham managed that very well. Decent refurb with a pool table but still kept a very community local feel while attracting new customers as well as returning old. Some locals apparently didn't like it but those that did added to the pubs atmosphere. One of my favourite boozers actually.

G-Man

coll

Post by coll »

Just went past the new pub. It's now called the pavilion. Looks quite smart!

pip

Post by pip »

Sposed to be open this saturday (22nd December) according to rumours. Thats of course if we are all still here. :lol:
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

I must say, I am very glad it is going to be a (nice place to go for a drink and hopefully some food), but I am quite angry and upset that the name of the pub wich stood there for probably over 100 years (I can find out how long exactly but it is not the pount at this moment in time) is changed from what it has always been 'the railway' into ' the pavilion'!!!!
The 'Railway', as a place, has played a huge part in Sydenham history, it's been mentioned in the books about Sydenham, how can it be the Pavilion from now on...it makes no sence to me!!!??????
Does it only bothering me???

Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

You can take the Railway away from Sydenham but you'll never take Sydenham away from the Railway.

(Doesn't really work though)
Willy

Post by Willy »

I agree that pubs shouldn't change their names (unless it's already stupid - Two Halfs) but I can understand why the new owners would not want to keep the old name, they need to attract new customers after all
love-sydenham

Post by love-sydenham »

I understand what you mean, it's just you don't need to change your name to become a new person?
I guess the same applies to the pub? We can all see that the pub is undergoing a major work and looks nice and inviting...

Willy

Post by Willy »

Well we would all like to think that but if someone suggested a drink in the Railway in Sydenham and I hadn't heard about the refurb I would be questioning their sanity but if they suggested a drink in the Pavillion I would be inclined to give it a go.